Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Brake hose part numbers for '99 36SDS

I've had an occasional caliper sticking issue after hard braking a couple of times now. The brakes were lubed and fluid changed last year before putting it away for the winter. Not a constant drag but only for 15 minutes or so after a "panic" stop, just long enough to give the smell of hot brakes and once a wisp of smoke. IR gun shows ~500+F on the discs and ~ 350 on calipers. Yes even though I drive like I'm driving a 33k lb rig some of the idiots around here still try to tempt Darwin.

In the past on older rigs I've had issues with brake hoses that would swell and not allow fluid to return properly and I'm hoping that's the issue here.

Anyone got a part number for the hoses for the older Alpines? I have the Bendix brakes on my unit.

Thanks
Dave.

PS Been doing a lot of upgrading both interior and on the water system and exterior. I'll do a thread soon but here's a teaser shot of what a 13 year old Alpine looks like after a date with Zep High Traffic.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #2

Is that a Chevy chassis? I ran into this on my Pace Arrow, but it ended up being the caliper that was bad. I'm assuming Chevy since it has Bendix brakes.
Do you have ABS? Mine did and the hoses were 130 bucks each IF YOU COULD FIND THEM! They've been discontinued, but I did find the part numbers if you need them.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

It's very unlikely to be the hoses and more likely to be the calipers which you really should replace if they are original. To obtain a new hose just take it off and get a brake shop to make you one to match. I had 2 made while I waited.

P.S. I did the ZEP treatment on mine also.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks John and Mary, the calipers were replaced in '10 by the PO. He did however reside in PA where salt is an issue so they may have been "put away wet", the rest of the coach shows little sign of ever being driven in winter.

The calipers were also lubed and checked in Nov '11 before we put it to bed. I'll probably just go ahead and have them replaced and get the shop to have the local NAPA build new hoses. I was just hoping for an off the shelf part.

EDIT: I know the lube/check does not preclude issues with the pistons the mechanic may have missed however.

gauto5150: It's a Peak chassis, specific to the brand, they chose to use hydraulic brakes, for the ride and handling I'll happily live with the occasional extra maintenance

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
I've had an occasional caliper sticking issue after hard braking a couple of times now. The brakes were lubed and fluid changed last year before putting it away for the winter. Not a constant drag but only for 15 minutes or so after a "panic" stop, just long enough to give the smell of hot brakes and once a wisp of smoke. IR gun shows ~500+F on the discs and ~ 350 on calipers. Yes even though I drive like I'm driving a 33k lb rig some of the idiots around here still try to tempt Darwin.

In the past on older rigs I've had issues with brake hoses that would swell and not allow fluid to return properly and I'm hoping that's the issue here.

Anyone got a part number for the hoses for the older Alpines? I have the Bendix brakes on my unit.

Thanks
Dave.

PS Been doing a lot of upgrading both interior and on the water system and exterior. I'll do a thread soon but here's a teaser shot of what a 13 year old Alpine looks like after a date with Zep High Traffic.

Hi Dave,
I have the same unit. My looks terrible compared to yours. I am a former used car dealer and trucker. I have cleaned and polished many vehicles. My Alpine is real blotchy. I have tried various types of polish, tried hand polish and machine, still looks blotchy. Please tell me more about Zep Hi Traffic. I am impressed by your picture. I assume the white has not been repainted. My colored section looks good, just bad white. Thanks for yopur help. old trucker
Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Old trucker, PM sent with the info, kind of lengthy to post up.

Did you ever figure out your microwave power outlet issue?
Dave

Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dave:

WOW! That looks great. I'm already telling my friends with SOB's.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks takepride,
It was a gang of work but IMO well worth it. Started with the roof to eliminate the white streaks down the side windows. Top looked so good I decided to do the front/rear end caps, the sides were waxed and I hoped they'd be OK but after I got done with the ends the sides looked pretty bad so after a trip I set aside 3 days to do them (not full 8 hour days)

Got a gang of other upgrades I'll be posting up soon.
Dave

Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
It's very unlikely to be the hoses and more likely to be the calipers which you really should replace if they are original. To obtain a new hose just take it off and get a brake shop to make you one to match. I had 2 made while I waited.

P.S. I did the ZEP treatment on mine also.
Hi Algoma,
I see you also tried the Zep hitraffic floor was treatment. I assume you had good results like daveshan. We all 3 have 99 Alpines. My question is how long ago was this Zep applied and are you always parked out in the weather. Many household and commerical floor wax products will turn yellow after a time and need to be striped and repolished. This could be a lot of work. since I retired at 71, 3 years ago, I got lazy. old trucker
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #10

I actually used ZEP Wet Look Floor Finish. $25 a gallon from Lowes. 1 gallon did the whole motorhome with 4 coats including the roof. I did mine in January and it still looks shiny but I can't predict the future. The polish is designed for indoor use and does not include UV inhibitors so there may be a long term issue with fading or yellowing, but so far so good. I also have vinyl decals which cannot be polished but the ZEP works great on vinyl. Mine is stored outside all year.
If you do a general search on ZEP in IRV2 you will find a lot of comments from other owners who have used this treatment.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #11

On the original thread topic, here's some sweet Alpine trivia from the early years:
Early model year rigs (don't have a clue when or if ever this changed) were supplied by:
Dana Corp.- Continental Hose
500 Raybestos Rd.
Upper Sandusky, OH 43351
419-294-3827, fax 419-294-3250
and were ordered subject to a shop drawing & parts order signed by G.Jones, V.P. of WRV Peak Chassis Group.

I believe you'll find this information completely useless. Since the brake line is per a shop drawing, of which I've got a big stack (don't ask why I've kept them) on EngineerAnnie's Living room couch, you would need the corresponding shop drawing to get the design replicated. That would require nearly complete replication of info that will be found on the shop drawing to match it to the shop drawing. As suggested earlier, it would be much easier to head to a brake shop, remove the offending brake hose, and have it replicated locally. Not a big chore. It would indeed be handier to order a standard part, hand it to your mechanic & say, "swap it for the old one, thanks." But since the best your could do is to locate which of the many brake line/hose shop drawings represents the particular hose you are wanting, and then have it fabricated anyway, might as well use the above process and use the part to have it fabricated.

End fittings should be standard stuff, in some cases banjo fittings and in others 5/8-18 threaded with a jamb nut. In some cases a direct replacement will require a swagged on metal tube section. Pretty sure a good brake shop can inspect what is to be replaced & determine if they have the fittings in stock before removal of anything.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Mike,
I thought I had read these were special order items but was hoping I was wrong. I'll contact the local NAPA here and in Bayfield (which carries heavy duty truck parts) and see what they can do.

There are many upsides to living in a small semi-mountain town but having access to specialized mechanics isn't one of them. We do however have a good general purpose diesel shop.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #13

IIWYI'd check out heavy truck service for brakes in the largest town near you; frequently a shop that does clutch work will also do brakes and may have the word "friction" in their shop name, or "clutch & Brake." Then you can schedule an overnight followed by early a.m. appt'mt for the brake line work. W/a phone call they should be able to tell you if they can make brake lines on the spot or refer you to a shop that can.

Another thought- Alpine SoCal is hosting a rally at St. George, UT in September, and Dwight Warner who is a CO resident owned trucks and is co-hosting the rally. Dwight is a great guy and can probably direct you to good service more or less close to you.

Tags
brake