Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #1

I just purchased a 2003 40FD and it came with a few small issues. One of them is no brake lights and pressing on the brake pedal won't disengage the cruise control. This was fairly easy to troubleshoot to the brake pedal switch.

The previous owner was a bit frustrated that the brake lights didn't work because he just had them "fixed".

I removed the switch and tested it and it works fine. After further inspection, I found that the pedal switch wasn't being actuated when depressed. I tried installing it a few different ways and none of them would actuate the switch.

So, it is one of two problems. When the brake lights were "fixed", the wrong switch was installed or, I can't figure out how it is supposed to installed.

The part number of the installed switch is:

F87B-13480-AB

If this is the correct switch then something else must be amiss. Can someone help me with this? Thanks!

GT

GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #2

We have seen this problem on more than one occassion. I don't have the correct part number, but I would guess that you probably have the right one. We have had to shim the switch/pedal assembly several times to make it work properly with units that have not had switches replaced. I was not directly involved with these repairs to know the procedure that was used, but if you contact me at 1-800-245-5378, I will put you in touch with one of our techs that have performed the procedure to give you more accurate information. Try contacting after 8:30 P.S.T. If necessary, leave a message and I will have the tech contact you ASAP.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #3

Thanks a lot Jim! I will definitely call today.

GT
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #4

I called and spoke to Clayton today. He was very helpful, but unfortunately he didn't have a 2003 to look at as a reference. It appears that I have the correct switch, but we think that the switch was installed in the wrong area.

Would someone be able to take a picture under the dash by the brake pedal for me? A diagram would also be helpful if a picture would be difficult. Thank you very much for the help
!

GT
Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #5

I'm bumping this to see if anyone could take a picture under the dash for me. 2003 40'. Thanks!

GT
Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #6

Do you have adjustable pedals?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 AM   #7

Yes I do. Thanks!

GT
Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #8

I had the same problem and I don't think your switch is bad or mounted wrong.

After replacing mine (Ford part) to no avail, I again contorted my body into a position where I could see what I thought was happening.

It appeared to me that the mounting and design of the switch requires the brake pedal arm (the curve where it contacts the button on the switch) to conform to a very specific shape and tolerance, to actuate the switch properly. Mine's off a little, enough to cause too much of a gap and improper switch actuation..

This may explain Jim's recollection of repeated shimming, but I recall the switch mount is a shoulder bolt that also serves as the brake pedal pivot mount, with a thin bearing plate, making shimming to move the switch a difficult solution, at least for me.

My coach is in storage, but I'll try to get a pic early next week, if someone else doesn't post earlier.

My solutions were not elegant or arguably even competent...

First, I cut out a small circular piece of velcro (fuzzy side) and stuck it on the actuating button of the brake switch. This was initially enough to "close the gap" enough to enable actuation. Over time, the pressure flattened it. Maybe thin rubber-backed adhesive would last?

Second, I was trying to determine a way of moving the switch by grinding/re-shaping the pedal arm (arguably fixing the real problem, but it looked to me like the arm needed more of a hump). I discovered that, without the thin bearing plate, the switch worked fine. I know it's there for a reason (don't recall if it serves as a bearing surface between steel or steel-to-switch plastic), but I removed it, rationalizing that someday I'd overcome my frustration and tackle it again...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #9

At this point, a picture would be very helpful if someone could post one. I'm either installing it completely wrong or this is horribly designed. We'll find out which.

GT
Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #10

I posted some pictures of my 05 and will provide the links as soon as they are approved.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #11

05 Alpine

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #12

Those pictures are a great help. Thank you so much!!! I'm going try to install it in the morning. Thanks again!

GT
Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #13

I installed the switch per your pictures and it worked perfectly without shimming. Thank you very much!

GT