Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Brake master cylinder

I need a new master cylinder for a 2003 38' Alpine. I got the # off the old one and am told there are three different ones to order. We have order on and hope it is the right one. Is there any way to find out the right part #?
cPaul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #2

Dont know about the three different types for OEM replacements--however, you might consider looking at the threads on this forum concerning the after-market 1 3/4" bore cylinder vs the OEM 2" bore. Because you have an 03, you have the remote fluid reservoir version. Most of the after market 1 3/4" upgrades have involved improving the brake pedal feel of 04 and newer coaches with adjustable pedals, though at least one 03 has been upgrades, according to this forum....I'll be at the barn this afternoon--I'll try to get you the OEM part number for the ones I have replaces for people....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

Order the one that includes:
2" cylinder bore (50.80mm)
Remote reservoir plate
Pressure Differential sensor

Most 03 owners are happy w/the braking action, if you want more then same as the above but 1.75" cylinder bore (44.45mm) in lieu of 2"
Old 04-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
break cylinder

Thanks for the responds. I got the new cylinder and it is installed. All seems to be working fine. Breaks working better than ever. The only thing now is the service break light is on. They have had everything you can do to them done, checked fluid, bleed etc. Can't figure out why it is on???? any thoughts. It is a little worrisome to have it on.
cPaul I just want you all to know how much it means to have people out there who care.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Paul, the service brake light is probably on because the switch the would show a lose of fluid on one side or the other is not centered. To correct this, since you just install a new master cylinder you must re center the switch.

You do that by having someone step on the brakes while you open and close a bleeder valve quickly. First try one one the front and then the back. This will allow the re centering of the switch and the service light should go off.

I believe the switch is located on the master cylinder, where the wire plugs in. If I am right you may be able to Crack open the brake lines on the master cylinder (one at time) while someone is pressing on the brake pedal. :thumbup:

I hope this information helps.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #6

I don't know for sure, but I vaguely remember, kicking the brake pedal to reset the light. Just give it a swift kick, won't hurt.

Being involved in heavy equipment all of my career, most of our brakes were air or air over hydraulic.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found a photo taken of the part I need is all that a parts tech needs to identify the proper part #.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

cPaul, please post the fix for the brake service light. I have the same issue after MC replacement.

Bernie
2002 36 FDDS
Pearland, Tx
Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
break cylinder

Bernie,
I have not been able to get the light to go out. Tried all the above ideas
so far no luck. They did find a wire to one of the sensors was cut and they fixed that. They will be getting back on it Monday. The mechanic
is questioning if we have the right cylinder, but it was the right number and look right and fit back without any trouble. He said the wheels were not turning as freely as they should. I will post if we fine the answer. We are headed on a long trip and want to make sure everything is working before we go.
cPaul
Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #10

03 alpine 40' master cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Order the one that includes:
2" cylinder bore (50.80mm)
Remote reservoir plate
Pressure Differential sensor

Most 03 owners are happy w/the braking action, if you want more then same as the above but 1.75" cylinder bore (44.45mm) in lieu of 2"
Where can I order the parts above.

Can just the reservoir plate and sensor be ordered?

Are the 1.75" mc all the same? With or without remorse reservoir?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Owlhh- there are two versions of the MC casting for each size:
2" w/sensor between output porst
2" no sensor between ports
1.75" w/sensor
1.75" w/out sensor
For an '03- it came stock w/the remote reservoir plate, M.C. located under driver's floorboard & reservoir located behind gen slide. IIWMI wouldn't change from the OEM 2" to the after market 1.75" for an '03.

Each of the above can be ordered w/a remote reservoir plate or with. I have no idea if just reservoir or sensor can be ordered, probably just a matter of money.
I see you are in Georgia. IIWMI'd visit this outfit in Talahasee; that's where I got mine. he can build you whatever config you want.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #12

03 Alpine master c

Thanks Mike,

Why is the 2.0" better than the 1.75, I have seen a lot of posts recommending the change.

I see a number of part numbers for the MC. Which one?

Where do you find the plate? Do you need to replace the old one ?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

Owl- as i understood your prior posts, you have an '03 rig which has the MC below the driver not in front. The 03 owners w/a lot of driving experience like the braking as-is w/the 2". The 04+ owners want more stopping power w/less foot fatigue, and convert to the 1.75.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #14

2003 alpine Kiki step

Mike

My step suddenly quit new motor and controller.
Was working fine.

Where is the step fuse?

Tags
brake