Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #1

Brake Question

Hi,
I am looking at the brake system on our coach with hooking up our toad in mind. When we bought the coach a few weeks ago, I was told it had air over hydraulic brakes. Now that I am looking, it appears to be an electric hydra-boost system. Can anyone verify what they put on them in 2000?
Thanks

hardlylook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Gary & Cathy:

Hello & Welcome to the Alpine Coach Owners Form on IRV2.

WRV manufactured the Alpine Coach with Hydraulic Brakes and the power assist is a Hydra Boost operated by a hydraulic system from the engine. The Hydraulic system operates the Cooling Fan, Power steering and Hydra Boost. The Hydra Boost has an electric assist should the hydraulic not be operating properly due failure or the engine not operating. The 2000 Alpine came with a Floating Brake Calipers and they changed to fixed caliper for 2001.

I hope this information helps.

I also hope you can join us at some of our Alpine Coach Rallies.

The Alpine Coach Association has an excellent tech Library for its members.

Alpine So Cal RV Club

Alpine Coach East

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Gary & Cathy:

Hello & Welcome to the Alpine Coach Owners Form on IRV2.

WRV manufactured the Alpine Coach with Hydraulic Brakes and the power assist is a Hydra Boost operated by a hydraulic system from the engine. The Hydraulic system operates the Cooling Fan, Power steering and Hydra Boost. The Hydra Boost has an electric assist should the hydraulic not be operating properly due failure or the engine not operating. The 2000 Alpine came with a Floating Brake Calipers and they changed to fixed caliper for 2001.

I hope this information helps.

I also hope you can join us at some of our Alpine Coach Rallies.

The Alpine Coach Association has an excellent tech Library for its members.

Alpine So Cal RV Club

Alpine Coach East

Dave, Thanks for the information. That is pretty much what I figured from my research under the coach. I have used the ACA website and in fact am about to put the membership application in the mail. Regards and happy trails.
hardlylook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

hardlylook,

There were several critical recalls on the 2000 Alpine Coach. You need to confirm that this recall work was done on your coach. See these NHTSA links:

1. Dometic refrigerator fire: Recalls Summary

2. Ground bus fuse too low amperage: Recalls Summary

3. Seat belt defect: Recalls Summary

4. Brake ABS could fail: Recalls Summary

5. Brake calipers can hang & cause loss of braking: Recalls Summary
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Gary:

If you do not have maintenance records for your Alpine I would also suggest that you have the brake fluid flushed and this should be preformed very two years.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
You can check on the Dometic Recall by looking at the fridge from the outside. There should be additional sheet metal around the exhaust stack, and a new sensor which has been placed on the stack. You can also call Dometic, and they can tell by S/N. If not performed, find the nearest Mobile service qualified tech, and have it taken care of. Don't cost you anything.

However, unless the previous owner(s) kept the coach as close to level, the fridge could be close to its useful life (if it was not close to level when parked). Have the tech do a temp check on it and see. You should have "0" degrees in the freezer and close to 34 in the fridge area when in use at its med-to high cold setting. He can tweak the termistor to get it close to those numbers.

All this is assuming you have an RV fridge, not a residential one.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlylook View Post
Hi,
I am looking at the brake system on our coach with hooking up our toad in mind. When we bought the coach a few weeks ago, I was told it had air over hydraulic brakes. Now that I am looking, it appears to be an electric hydra-boost system. Can anyone verify what they put on them in 2000?
Thanks
I just put the Stay-in-Play system on my Honda CR-V. The rep at Redmond offered to have it done for "only" $350. I elected to do it myself. The instructions are clear and there's even a DVD showing step-by-step. Even so, not a completely trivial install, especially since my eyes are getting old and the body is getting inflexible. I think the installed system is worth the effort, though.

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote