Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2005, 06:29 AM   #1

Hi All, Just found out that there were two recalls on the 1999 Alpine Coach I'm about to take delivery on. The brake one is where they replace the calipers all around and the other one is the ground bus fuse from 250amp to 300. Has anyone had experience with the brake modification? I informed the dealer and they promised to take care of it. I'm glad I found out before delivery.
Dennis
denwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2005, 06:29 AM   #2

Hi All, Just found out that there were two recalls on the 1999 Alpine Coach I'm about to take delivery on. The brake one is where they replace the calipers all around and the other one is the ground bus fuse from 250amp to 300. Has anyone had experience with the brake modification? I informed the dealer and they promised to take care of it. I'm glad I found out before delivery.
Dennis
Old 10-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #3

dont know about the calipers but the ground bus fuse was to be replaced in several model year coaches. We have an 03 and I replaced the fuse in it. It was a real simple fix, and im sure you can do it yourself.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #4

Denwhit

We have a 1999 40' Alpine MH and Debbie and I are the original owners. While we were in Charleston, SC the front wheels caught fire. Then in Louisville, KY, rear wheels caught fire. I called the factory and made arrangements with our local Freightliner to replace calipers at their expense. The factory would not pay to replace the pads or rotors.

In the past, the factory sent us a 300 amp ground fuse in which I replaced and they also replaced all four jacks because the original ones were inadequate for this size of unit.

There have been other problems but I have been able to fix them without involving the factory.
pdiddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:58 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I have a 1999 and have 37000 miles on the coach with out any problems (yet). This is the first I have heard of calipers being recalled. The 300 amp fuse has already been replaced. Any one else ever get a recall notice on the caliper problem?
Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:39 AM   #6

Dennis

WRV did have a brake recall on some coaches.

The following was my original post on the subject dated July of 04.

In October of 2002, WRV filed a notification of defect with NHTSA.
In that filing, they identified the Bosch ZOPS caliper as the suspect component.
Bosch does not agree and as a result WRV must come up with its own remedy.
WRV has been using a replacement caliper (ZOHT) that is also made by Bosch
(coincidentally?) and it seems to work. Once they come to a collective
agreement on the remedy, we will be probably be looking at a recall.
Timing? - not clear yet. As with any recall, the details will come to you
by way of a notification letter.

WRV should be able to identify whether your coach is affected.

Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:29 AM   #7

WRV sent me a recall notice on our 01 MDS 36' last spring. Had all four calipers replaced at a local brake shop that does trucks and big rigs.
don't know who paid for that but made arrangements through brake shop with WRV before doing work. Never had a problem before. Brake shop recommended greasing slide pins once a year. Entails removing wheels and dropping calipers to get at the pins.
doug ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #8

WRV sent us a recall notice on our 99 40'last spring. WRV sent the calipers to a break shop of our choosing.
Had all four calipers replaced with no problems.
Shinecasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stretch:
dont know about the calipers but the ground bus fuse was to be replaced in several model year coaches. We have an 03 and I replaced the fuse in it. It was a real simple fix, and im sure you can do it yourself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rchaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #10

Well, to follow up... WRV sent the new calipers and on inspection, the dealer found the rotors stress cracked and replaced them also at their expense. I'm glad I made the call to the factory. Wheeler's RV is good but not that good to check recalls for the RV's they take in on trade or consignment.
Pdiddley has me wondering about my jacks now. They seem to work okay...so far. I do plan a trip to Yakima early spring to let them look it over. I wonder if I should call and make reservations???? Are we invited to bring in the coach for inspection?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #11

by all means make a reservation!!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #12

What can one expect if they make reservations and drive up to the factory in a 1999 Alpine Coach? I did buy a four year extended warranty. The coach is back in now for ABS light on (calipers, rotors and pads were just replaced), hot/cold selector on dash stuck, hydraulic leak from leveler panel, demand water pump coming on and staying on even though no water was requested. Even though I have taken "delivery", Wheeler RV continues to help me debug a coach they took in on consignment. I expect them to end this courtesy soon. Hopefully the warranty will take over when they do.