Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
I learned a lot as well. The most important thing I learned is that you can not empty a 50 gallon black tank into a 30 gallon Blue Boy.

2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
My husband's inquiring mind wants to know how in the world you got yourself into that dilemma!! Apparently, you didn't think your black tank was anywhere near full...

Gail, John & Mindy Stacy
2007 Alpine SE 40FDQS, 2011 Equinox
ACA & Alpine SoCal
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Though I could shut off the valve, when I did, the paper products in the tank stuck in the valve, and it kept a coming! They the head pressure broke the hose loose from the Blue Boy and it went a waving in the air. It was a horrible experience, and there are nights where I still have nigthmares! The horror of it all!
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club

I have had both the Brake Buddy and the US Gear Decelerator. The Brake Buddy was quick and works like the Even Brake as described by John. My biggest problem was the constantly dead battery in my toad. According to Thousand Trails, Las Vegas, about 50% of all toads arrive DOA. That's why they don't allow disconnecting at the gate. I was also constantly tempted to not install it, then had to find a temporary home for it when not in use.

I recently installed the US Gear (as described in an earlier thread) and am very happy. I did the install myself and saved $$$ (saved on the purchase, too, as did Rich). I was also able to use a single umbilical cord between the coach and the toad to connect both the lighting and the brake system. It requires using a 7-way umbilical (yours is probably a 6-way right now). I did not want two umbilicals, either. The breakaway wire is the only added component, pretty minimal.

I am extremely happy with the setup. My coach also stops faster with the toad than without. Don't ask how I found out.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
All, well I did a ton of checking out different systems. And as part of that, I tried to justify pricing, installation, etc into the mix. I found a great deal on the Roadmaster Even Brake, and after reading several different forums, decided that cost vs. installation vs. ease of use, this is the thing I am going to use.

Now, please note, I installed a separate brake/running light system in the jeep, so I don't depend on the jeep brakes lights to warn behind me. I will feed the brake/running lights from the coach.

If I understand the issues correctly on the jeep, I don’t actually need the key in the switch because there is not locking steering on the 2009. I pull a relay and fuse which powers down the "on light" feature on the brakes. I have to understand this better, because I’m still confused about this one.

I have/will work on all this stuff starting on Tuesday, because it’s raining here and won’t be done with that until sometime Monday. I don’t have a good place to work on the Jeep inside, so it will have to be the driveway then. Thursday, the MH comes home all day to hook up the towbar and Jeep together to verify and check the height issues and procure the correct drop receiver so that is within tolerances, my goal is 1” higher at the coach than the jeep.

I will also check all my lighting, emergency break away stuff for the even brake system at that time, and hook that up, and verify operation.

I have some roof inspections to do on the coach as well, so Thursday is also the day for that.

I will print out the section in the Jeep Owner’s Manual about towing so I can modify a checklist I am creating for this whole operation. I also have a copy of another forum member who does the jeep and check against his list to make sure I have not forgotten anything. Mine is a manual transmission versus an automatic, so some of my issues are different.

This toad thing is way worse than hooking up my old bass boat, and going fishing, or any boat I have owned before.

If I have forgotten anything I need to check, please post here, as I am going to check here several times a day until I have this completed.

Thank you all for the input.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote