Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Cool Brakemaster

My 2005 Alpine Coach came equipped with a Brakemaster braking system by Roadmaster, so I installed the matching system in my HHR. We recently sold and purchased a 2006 Alpine. It does not have a braking system so I purchased the Brakemaster Second RV set up from Roadmaster, part 98300, which comes with the air compressor, tank and Proportioning valve, wires, etc.

Our first Alpine had the compressor located behind the front end cap, on the firewall next to the generator and connected to the set hot wire for power. Every time the step and compressor activated at the same time, the circuit breaker kicked in. The proportioning valve was under the dash next to the brake reservoir.
I contacted Towmaster and they advised against placing the unit in a location where it could be compromised by the elements.

I received the installation manual and they suggest installing it inside the compartments. I have some thoughts on where to put the compressor unit and where I should connect the proportioning valve. I also think I can run the wires and tubing though the holding tank area, though the engine compartment to the rear end and route it so it is not near any heat source that could melt the wires or air tubing. I am seeking any input from anyone who has had the system installed on their rig, from good locations to bad locations and any hints or shortcuts you have found useful during your installation. Just want to lower the odds of me screwing it up.

This forum is outstanding. I have already encountered the rear hydraulic line problems and solution from having the lines running to close to the radiator (it was easier than I anticipated). I replaced the pop rivets on my air foil. (found it loose and didn't want to become a member of the lost airfoil club) I also read the issue of the copper line being used over the rear differential and after I ran out with a magnet in hand, found out mine was okay. Better to check than suffer the consequences. Anyway, keep up the good work.

happycamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
I have the same system in 2 Alpine coaches for 10 years in the 2000 coach and 4 years in my 2007. In my opinion I did not need a second compressor. The engine compressor works fine. I just hooked in into the air tank.

As for the proportioning valve, I mounted it on the rear cross member to the front of the rear end. Then I just teed into the junction of the rear brake lines. Had to have a flexible brake hose made to hook up between the valve and tee.

Also installed the brake away on my 2007 this time.

Just had to run a single wire to the dash for the indicator light.

This has worked good for me.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote