Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #1

Since the RV salesman told me that my brake "feel" is fine I wonder if anyone knows why they feel like non-power brakes from a 1955 Chevrolet Belair two door sedan (my first car).
You really have to mash down on them to get it to stop. It isn't an air brake comparison issue because I've never driven a vehicle with air brakes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

Since the RV salesman told me that my brake "feel" is fine I wonder if anyone knows why they feel like non-power brakes from a 1955 Chevrolet Belair two door sedan (my first car).
You really have to mash down on them to get it to stop. It isn't an air brake comparison issue because I've never driven a vehicle with air brakes.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #3

Clark, this was my situation on my 06 compared to 00. It is much improved, now, due to WRV changing in the type of hydraulic fluid used to power the brakes. I can't, off the top of my head, recall what it is, but it greatly improved the foot pressure. It does not compare to air, but sure is a lot better than in the past. I posted a big warning sign on my Hydraulic Reservoir so that the wrong fluid is not added when the level is low. The info is in the motor home and if you need to know what it is, I can get if for you. WRV (Max) should have the info if you want it. Before it was changed, there were times when I felt like I was both standing on the brake and pulling the steering wheel off the post!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Is the reservoir you are discussing the large one found mounted on the engine with the changeable filters? On mine it state on the outside that it is filled with 10-40 oil.

Hope this isn't a dumb question
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #5

Thanks Lundy...

It is a new (2007) coach with 1,500 miles so I'd think it would have the newer brake fluid - unless they are like the Brits (I've had Land Rovers for 20 years) and just put in or on what ever they have left.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #6

Tomorrow I will look up the fluid that was used and report. It is not the brake fluid that was changed. It was the fluid that runs all the engine hydraulic systems like power steering, brakes and, I believe, the cooling fans.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jerry davis:
Is the reservoir you are discussing the large one found mounted on the engine with the changeable filters? On mine it state on the outside that it is filled with 10-40 oil </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lundy:
... It was the fluid that runs all the engine hydraulic systems like power steering, brakes and, I believe, the cooling fans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And I DON'T think that the engine hydraulic reservoir would be labeled to take 10-40 oil. I believe that ALL engine hydraulic systems use Dextron III (My coach from 2000 is labeled Dextron II, but that has been replaced by III, Dextron IV is also available now.)
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #8

Mark at WRV just called me as they had noticed this thread and they are going to get me in at Guaranty to change the fluid from 10/40 motor oil to something called Ricon (?). Evidently it makes quite a difference in pedal pressure and feel.
WRV and this Forum impress me again.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
The early coaches did use Dextron. In about 05 or 06, I am not sure when, they changed to 10/40 motor oil. The fix for people having pedal pressure problems is to use the new oil which is lighter similar to the Dextron.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I have not had my coach long enough or driven it enough, other than to the factory and back to be familiar with what you folks are talking about.

I have an 06 Apex.

If this needs to have something done, can the techs at the Las Vegas rally do it there? I am hoping this will generate some sort of statement, via this forum or PM to me, to address my concern.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #11

When I discussed this issue w/Phil Matoon last September, he said that the mfgr's list of acceptable hydraulic fluids was surprisingly long, i.e. practically any good quality oil was on there. When they started hearing brake pressure complaints, and after a lot of diagnostics on the individual components showed they were operating to spec, they tried a few different oils. The thinner viscosity oil gave better boost "feel" for the affected coaches they tested, i.e. lowered pedal pressure required for stopping.

I'm hoping for somebody w/a lavish lubricant budget to post their results by product type & viscosity rating . I suppose if you wanted ease into playing around w/this, you could stay w/the brand of oil now in your system, and change out a few gallons for a lighter viscosity. The 08 chassis takes about 6.5 gallons (don't know if that includes the spin-off filter). Earlier years may vary as they had different tanks/filters before 08.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #12

I'm back. The fluid replacement was Chevron RYCON 46 Premium Oil. It was in a 5 gal barrel and I returned a portion to WRV.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #13

Our 2005 34' Limited #75357 requires excesive pedal pressure and we have complained since day one without any positive help.We'll call Mark concerning the possibilty that the fluid is the problem.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #14

Dan & Donna, I have the identical coach as yourselves, 2005, 34' bought new and have complained louder and longer than you folks have about the brakes. With a lot of conversations I finally got to a position that I was directed to a replacement fluid for the hydraulic booster that helps you and I push the pedal to exert pressure to the brakes. The product is Chevron's Rycon 46 oil. I had this changed approximately a year and a 1/2 or more ago along with three filters, all of which WRV recommended. It was not as such said to me to not say anything but that was the impression. Regardless the brakes were definitely easier to apply and I felt I would feel comfortable letting my wife drive the coach. Prior to that I truly do not believe she could have stopped it. Tough scenario with 400 HP and a coach you can't stop. It is still not the easiest coach to stop but in my opinion it is acceptable. If you go back into some of my posts you will find that I accept very little without a fight. WRV has treated me extremely well even with a very bad issue in the very beginning when the coach was new.
I have put the brakes on quite heavily and learned what was not fastened down that we thought was and it stopped. I do not think I could lock the wheels up and I don't think you want to. I hope this will help and I would try to get in touch with Mark, Phil or Dave Kaampi.
I would like to know what other little ideas you have come up with for your coach.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote