Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Brakes Question

We just picked up our "new to us" 2006 34FDDS and made the 100 mile trip back home to the mountains. It tracked like it was on rails, rode like a limo, and ran like a scared rabbit!

I do have a problem with the brakes. You really have to stand on the pedeal to stop. Twice while at a stop sign, the coach started to creep with my foot on the brake. I had to use what I feel was an unusual amount of brake pressure to keep the coach from moving.

Any help from the forum experts would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

Do a search for brake problems, in this forum, there many posts on this subject. As a short term help, have the pedals all the way back, close to you, for the best feel.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Two things helped my brake feel and pressure:

1. Change the hydraulic fluid to Chevron Rycon 46 (marginal help).
2. Changing and bleeding the brake fluid.

The combination of these two items gave me a 30-40% better return on my pedal pressure, i.e. less physical pressure needed to stop the coach. I don't know why changing and bleeding the system helped but it certainly did.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We are headed to Coburg, OR Cummins Coach care to have them bleed the brakes for us. Engineer Mike said every two years, so I know my coach is way over due, bet yours is as well. Have that performed first. Then depending on how many miles, you can elect to change the hydraulic fluid as suggested above. It should be done I would guess every 4 years or so. You can get the procedure from the ACA's website in the tech library section. I have not done mine, it' only a little over 10K miles will wait until next year, but I do check the level monthly.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Dale, Jerry and Monty. I searched the forum as Dale suggested and now know I am not alone, which makes me feel a whole lot better.

There are no service records available for the coach and the VMS was never used to track service. Word of mouth from the previous owner to the dealer was that the coached was last serviced in April, 2009. What I don't know is exactly what was "serviced". That being said, it will be time to winterize the coach in a couple of months, so I'm thinking I should go ahead and service everything that might need it. If I do that, I will at least be starting with a clean slate. The coach has 25,000 miles on the odomoter and 200 hours on the generator.

Now if I can just figure out how many total filters I have........
Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Filters? Welcome to the black hole. Dale nd Engineer Mike would know more about them, but the ones I know about are:

Air Filter; Fuel-Water Seperator Filter(drain once a month-about 1/2 cup should be enouth)-Engine Block Fuel Filter?-Hydro Hot Diesel Filter-Genset Filter(s)-Engine Oil Filter. There also may be a coolant filter in your model, and their might be a hydraulic fluid filter-but never heard of one. The A/C units have little foam filters just under the lovered plate on each unit which should be washed out with fresh water and let to dry about every two months. If there are others I have not run across them yet. If you have the house refer, it has a water frilter which should be changed immediately-you don't know how long that unit sat and it's contaminated for sure. Learn how to sanitize your water system if the coach is going to sit a lot.

Become an Alpine Coach Association Member, and attend one or two of the rallys when your schedule allows. We would all like to meet you. That said I have been trying to get to one since last year and have not made it yet.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Monty! Check is in the mail for ACA membership. I'm 3 or 4 years from retirement and it's a long way to a west coast rally. I might be able to get to one sometime before I'm officially unemployed, we will have to wait and see. This is a great forum with excellent info...especially for an orphan coach!
Jim
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

Have you heard about the East Coast Alpine group? We have rallies a couple times of the year here in the East. The web site is Alpine Coach East. Give it a look. An application is available from the web site. You have to be a member of ACA, but I see you've got that application on its way already.

Hope to meet you at an ACA or ACE rally.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the invite Jim. I'll look into that after I receive my ACA membership.