Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #1

On May 15th, I asked the question of whether the brake pedal pressure seem excessive or not. Since that time, the responses have already reached 4 pages. When reading responses on other issues, the subject of heavy pedal pressure seems to be mentioned by several others while speaking to other repair issues.

While I was at the factory a week or so ago, I spent a great deal of time visiting with Dale Gerstel, who has taken factory delivery on a new coach and appears to be taking over the task of trying to determine why the heavy pedal pressure (compared to earlier coaches). Since I was the one who brought up the question, he asked that I ask it again so that those who feel that it is a problem, respond again. Because management monitors this forum on a regular basis, it would appear be an excellent arena for us to demand an response from management that acknowledges they have an issue regarding brakes and to tell us what they intend to do about it. Many like the 'car-like' feel but, personally, I don't want my car to stop like my motor home. I always use my engine brakes but it's the down hill stop from 30 mph to 0 that bothers me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #2

On May 15th, I asked the question of whether the brake pedal pressure seem excessive or not. Since that time, the responses have already reached 4 pages. When reading responses on other issues, the subject of heavy pedal pressure seems to be mentioned by several others while speaking to other repair issues.

While I was at the factory a week or so ago, I spent a great deal of time visiting with Dale Gerstel, who has taken factory delivery on a new coach and appears to be taking over the task of trying to determine why the heavy pedal pressure (compared to earlier coaches). Since I was the one who brought up the question, he asked that I ask it again so that those who feel that it is a problem, respond again. Because management monitors this forum on a regular basis, it would appear be an excellent arena for us to demand an response from management that acknowledges they have an issue regarding brakes and to tell us what they intend to do about it. Many like the 'car-like' feel but, personally, I don't want my car to stop like my motor home. I always use my engine brakes but it's the down hill stop from 30 mph to 0 that bothers me.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #3

I have been test driving coaches for a solid month now and upon driving a new holdover 36' FDDS 2006 model I actually stopped to ask the salesman if the brakes were OK before I pulled out on the main road. At that time i did not realie they were disc so I assumed the air tanks were not up to pressure yet.

He explained about the discs but to me the pedal pressure is still way to high.

Something needs to be done for sure

Don
Old 06-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #4

We have a 2005 34FDDS Alpine and the pedal pressure is excessively high to the point that it could become dangerous. I see no reason why hydraulic brakes should ever have that hard of a pedal pressure other than the booster is not working properly. When the coach was in its first year twice I asked the dealer to look into the brakes and they did something but it never corrected the hard pedal pressure required. I have got to do something to get it corrected.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Not sure what you guys are talking about. I was recently headed down Cabbage Hill in my ott seven 36FDTS, SmartBeds loaded with 5 thousand pounds of rabbit steaks, when I had to make an emergency stop... and it stopped like a dream.

Oh! Wait.. it really was a dream. I haven't even picked up my coach yet [sorry Ted].

But seriously, I actually drove an 07 once upon a time, and the brake pedal pressure needed to stop the beast was definitely excessive, in my humble furry-footed opinion.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #6

Norm, is the Cabbage hill where the cabbage patch doll grows up or do you think that is just a myth?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Lundy ~We too find that the brakes on our 07 Apex require way too much pressure to stop the coach. Carolyn refuses to drive it in traffic and gets exhausted in a short time because of the energy it takes to stop it. This was one of the first things we noticed about the 07 compared to our 03 that stopped on a dime (well almost).
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #8

After test driving 2003 and 2004 at three different times we purchased a 34' 2005.The reason for buying the 05 was that we were so impressed with the handling and especially the brakes.Our 2005 is as bad as the 2004 was good.Terrible,terrible,terrible brake pedal pressure required.We complained immediately to no avail.The two stage Jake brake is great,we love it,and you could'nt stop without it.There is a real problem when so many units have brake poblems and yet some operate with normal pressure.Has anyone ever had the excessive pressure corrected?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #9

Thanks for all your replies. Keep them coming. I can't help but think that if too many make reference to hard stopping which might result in an accident, a liability issue could raise its ugly head.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #10

The continued questions and problems regarding the braking system has lawsuit written all over it.

I'd suspect WRV is doing all they can and will make it right when a complaint is properly executed. It's only good business sense.

The reply "works as designed" will raise questions about the design and who did the Engineering work. The simple reply alone will not prevail in litigation; God forbid such a thing be justified.

My advice would be to document, document and document. Also, make copies of all the complaints issued on all forums. It will set a background should the need arise.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
when not in my 'o5 36mdds i deliver for an rv transporter.. mostly high ends like country coach & monacos. I bought wrv just for hydraulics & disks. I can't help but feel that we may be coparing apples to oranges when we look at air vs hydaulic. Hydraulic to me seems more responsive and quick acting even if more pedal pressure might be required. If some are having related sreeering problems wrv might come up wit a fix to increase boost pressure.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Swans,

When Carolyn is driving are the pedals set all the way out? I have tried driving with pedals all the way in and out, it seems to be better with the pedals out. I only tried it on the last shake down cruise, I will try it again next outing.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #13

Dale - Do you mean the pedals adjuster set all the way to the top? Does that seem to use less pedal pressure or is it the muscles vs. leveraging?

I asked a question about this excessive pedal pressure = Is the ABS system hyperactive? I Never got an intelligent answer.

I feel I would rather LOCK UP the wheels and deal with control than smash into another vehicle!!!

Question for anyone at WRV: Is it legal or OK to disable the ABS system and would you do that?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #14

I agree with zinom's comments; on my coach the brake pressure is a little heavy but it stops quickly when I put my foot in it. My biggest issue in traffic is when I'm stopped pointed nose down at a stop light and the engine torque is helping try to push it forward. That's the time I shift into neutral and wait for the light to change, and it really helps.

But I don't find it too much brake pressure; my wife has severe rheumatoid arthritis with sore legs and feet all the time and she is able to stop the coach just fine when she's driving it.

So perhaps not all these coaches have excessive brake pedal pressure. Like zinom, one of the reasons I bought the Alpine is because of the hydraulic disk brakes and I like them better than air because they have a lot of "feel" to them.

My brake pedal is ajdusted to be relatively close to the driver, and like EngineerMike, I pump the brakes a few times before I start driving and I think it helps later.

The last thing I would think about doing is disconnecting the ABS.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote