Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Brakes stuck on

I backed my 03 Alpine out to do the monthly exercise the generator, jacks, slides, etc. The electric backup brake came on by itself (I could hear it) and remained on. The brake lights were on. I vigorously pumped the brakes a few times, but that didn't help. Turning the main engine power switch off works, but that won't help when I want to drive!!!! Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #2

Loss of or low air pressure will cause it to come and you will not be able to release until you get air pressure back. Let your engine run for a while to build up air pressure and then try to release

Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #3

Tiny tom. Thanks for the reply. It's not the air powered emergency brake that remains on. It's the electric powered assist brake that comes on when the power brakes (powered by the engine) don't work. Wish I could explain things right the first time!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Sorry misunderstood
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If I understand your question, the brake lights and the 12v brake booster is operating. Since the brake pedal goes through the floor lift the pedal by hand and the should stop the 12v motor and the brake lights should go out.

The cause is one or both of the following. From under the coach, on the bell crank you will see a spring that pulls the brake pedal back all the way and may be weak and need replacement. Second there is a zert fitting on the bell crank that should be lubed.

That should fix the problem you are having. :thumbup:
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #6

Most of the electrical functions associated with the brake pedal are actuated from the the brake light switch. On the 03, the brake switch is in front of the master brake assembly where the brake pedal arm is connected [under the drivers seat, in the fender well, in front of the front tire].....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I'll try your suggestions when I get access to my RV next week.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Please excuse my total stupidity in this -- but this might help.

My brakes were running extremely hot and melted the ABS sensors and boiled away the brake fluid. (you might see my total answer when searcing "brake question". Apparently a wire connection to the brake pedal under the dash had dangled down and was the problem -- as I understand it or don't understand it, it caused the brakes to engage or at least the pedal to partially depress all the time.

At any rate, the repairman told me that he secured the cable and he thinks that solved the problem. I drove it last week and all seemed well.

Good luck. I hope your problem is as simple as that seems to have been.

Bill Vietti
2004 Alpine Coach
Old 04-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

Bill, the 03 Alpine has a different brake pedal config from your 04 so the issue here may or may not be similar. Ref this and your original post, I am curious, when you refer to a "cable dangling"--do you mean an electrical cable/connection or some sort of mechanical tension cable?????
Old 04-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #10

I'll call them tomorrow and ask what sort of "cable" it is and post the info.

Bill
Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428344856.719377.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	90734 using parts of everyone's suggestions, I got the motor to shut off. Old scout, is it the switch the red thing in the attached photo? Still not feeling comfortable enough to drive to local RV place. But, on a very steep learning curve😃
Old 04-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

Yes--the read thing is the switch--with two wire leaving the switch body....there are also a couple fuse holders for the brake boost system on the interfender bulkhead [in front of the drivers side steer tire] that control the boost assembly...you could kill the 12v hydro boost motor there, pending resolution of the "run-away" 12v motor issue.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #13

Thanks. I'll definitely replace the switch. However, the problem seems (or seemed, hopefully) to be mechanical. Brake pedal would not depress until after I pulled up on it. I have an appointment for Thursday. Hopefully, cleaning, greasing, and careful inspection will reveal what caused the problem.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #14

I asked the mechanic again and he said there was a bundle of wires were loose and not allowing the brake pedal to return fully to rest position, thereby apparently putting mild pressure on the pedal at all times. So the brakes were on mildly at all times in driving and therefore burned away the oil.

Bill Vietti
2004 Alpine Coach
Shawnee, KS

Tags
brake, brakes