Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #1

I have a 2000 38' coach, with the HWH/Generator slide control door in the lower center of the console. The left side articulating-pivoting hinge has broken. Do any of you have any leads on where I might find a replacement, or the name of the company where WRV may have purchased these hinges? Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #2

I have a 2000 38' coach, with the HWH/Generator slide control door in the lower center of the console. The left side articulating-pivoting hinge has broken. Do any of you have any leads on where I might find a replacement, or the name of the company where WRV may have purchased these hinges? Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #3

After seeing so many hits w/o any suggestions, I went out this morning and removed the door and the broken hinge. I fabricated an aluminum doubler for the area that was "torn out" on the hinge portion that bolts to the door. Re-installation was a "bastorial" job. Access is extremely limited, but I finally accomplished the repair - with a few scrapes and bruises!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #4

I was hoping someone had a suggestion as I have the same set-up on my '98. Luckily mine is working fine but it does look a pig to work on. I think WRV built the coach around some of these items. The Allison shop just found the transmission ECU hidden behind this center dash.
Congrats on fixing your problem.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #5

Hi John and Mary,

Yes, I'm pretty sure WRV must have built the coaches around some of these items. Starting with the chasis and up, it would be fairly easy to position some of these obscure items. And I'm sure some of the bigger pieces must have come in before the slides were installed! Good Alpining!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #6

Gary

I replaced our hinges for the HWH door over a year ago on our old 99. The source was WRV, priced at $14.00 or so. I do not have a source beyond that, or you may try a store that specializes in hardware for cabinets and drawers. I agree they are a pain in the butt to remove and replace. I seemed like WRV 'forced' them to fit, the door would stick or a screw would work loose. I would suggest a complete redo using drawer guides and build a drawer, (altho it may get crowded with wires, etc in behind), like WRV went to in the 2001 and later.

Ed
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #7

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the information. When we were at Camp WRV in November 2006, I asked about the hinges - no comprendo! The left hinge was listing badly at that time, but finally broke recently. Warren suggested installing a piano hinge underneath attached to a "new board" piece. I toyed with this for a while until I realized that the motion is not purely pivotal, but must articulate a bit to let the door come out of its place in the console opening. I'll keep your idea of drawer slides in mind if a hinge breaks in the future. Sounds like a slick fix.