Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #1

Today one of our cats rebounded off one of the mirrored sliding closet doors. Yep, you guessed it. There is a big crack running from the point of impact at the bottom clear to the top. Wow, I didn't realize they were so thin! I have it secured with strapping tape, but need to know if anyone has any idea where to find a replacement. We have a 2005 FDDS. If all else fails, I suppose we can have new doors made for both sides. $$$$$

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #2

Today one of our cats rebounded off one of the mirrored sliding closet doors. Yep, you guessed it. There is a big crack running from the point of impact at the bottom clear to the top. Wow, I didn't realize they were so thin! I have it secured with strapping tape, but need to know if anyone has any idea where to find a replacement. We have a 2005 FDDS. If all else fails, I suppose we can have new doors made for both sides. $$$$$

Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #3

WOW! To me this is sounding a bit dangerous. Your temp. fix might be fine if you are not driving but I might suggest that you get some window film and install that material on the mirror with the hopes that it would hold it in place better than the tape. Good luck with your replacement hunt!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #4

I had a glass shop cut a piece of mirror and replaced it myself. The mirror was about $50. The existing mirror is the safety type. I Have driven about 10,000 miles and had no problems. In fact the other mirror is cracked now and I will do the same thing. I did put strapping tape on the back side to help if it is broken. It is not difficult to remove and replace the mirror. A few screws and the frame sections just slide over the mirror.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #5

Hmm...seems to me you need to make the cat work off his debt here. So...know anyone with a mouse problem?

1984 Ford B-700/ThomasBuilt bus conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Wayne said, find a local mirror shop and take the door over to them. They are not hard to take down. If they see the original they can make sure the new mirror matches to old (thus the other door).

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
I can add no more other than this is excellent advice. Don't believe I would try to handling a piece that size by myself.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #8

Thank you all for your very good advice. I am the Kitty side of Mike&Kitty. I tend to panic when stuff goes wrong on our "baby". We will take the door to a glass shop when we get home from our Christmas trip.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #9

We broke our mirror on our 03 Alpine. To make the system stronger I had the glass man glue the new mirror on top of the old mirror. much stronger now
Old 12-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #10

Now's your chance to get fancy and change to some nice etched or designer type glass. If it had been planned for that purpose it could have been the Kitty not the cat.