Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #1

I got a little tip from Chris at WRV that I thought I would pass on. My radiator cover (grille) broke the forward two of its three connecting brackets yesterday on my trip. Last summer it broke the middle bracket and WRV welded the bracket together and repainted it for me.

2500 miles later that weld didn't hold and the front bracket broke on the same day.

I want to have WRV fix both brackets when I'm back there in April, but I couldn't decide on the best way to secure the grille to replace the brackets, since WRV is 3000 miles from now. I used a couple short bungee cords as an interim alternative.

Calling Chris, he suggested I used zip ties through the drain holes behind the grille to secure it to the frame. I didn't think of this but it was a good idea. It ties the grill up tight, and doesn't scratch the paint.

Just passing along this tip in case others have these brackets break and are trying to think of a way to secure the grill.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

I got a little tip from Chris at WRV that I thought I would pass on. My radiator cover (grille) broke the forward two of its three connecting brackets yesterday on my trip. Last summer it broke the middle bracket and WRV welded the bracket together and repainted it for me.

2500 miles later that weld didn't hold and the front bracket broke on the same day.

I want to have WRV fix both brackets when I'm back there in April, but I couldn't decide on the best way to secure the grille to replace the brackets, since WRV is 3000 miles from now. I used a couple short bungee cords as an interim alternative.

Calling Chris, he suggested I used zip ties through the drain holes behind the grille to secure it to the frame. I didn't think of this but it was a good idea. It ties the grill up tight, and doesn't scratch the paint.

Just passing along this tip in case others have these brackets break and are trying to think of a way to secure the grill.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #3

OldForester,

I had the same radiator grill brackets that you mention break on my 2006. I fabricated my own brackets out of aluminum stock that I fastened to the grill by drilling holes and securing with bolts (and lock washers!), then securing to the frame with bolts (and lock washers!) in the original holes.

Notice I emphasized lock washers, since I have found several bolts that in various locations on the coach that came loose due to the lack of lock washers.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #4

Good advice Dale.
I use lockwashers with "Nylock" type nuts for an added measure of security.

Speaking of Nuts................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Our brackets broke in December, and John used zip ties to secure the grill. They are still there, and the grill has stayed secure. And, we have traveled a lot since then, often on very bumpy California freeways.

We will have WRV do the repair when we are up there in June, so the ties have to hold until then.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #6

Bob- Do you wear a belt and suspenders? Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 AM   #7

Belt, suspenders AND a size too small. At my age you just can't be too careful.

Seriously; I have all that stainless stuff and am not afraid to use it when I don't want to do it over.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #8

The zip ties work quite well for a while. I made my own tabs and welded them to the grill panel. I used titanium bolts as the stainless were to soft. The Nylok nuts are a good choice as they are easier to get on with the elastic insert. The SPS "Flex-loc" are tough to get on but never come off. It is amazing that WRV used such poor hardware in their assemblies. Even in the tough times the cost saving had to be minimal. In one hinge you can find 1/2 sq. head screws and the other half phillips head.
By the way it would benefit us all to check all of the hardware under the coach. Most of it is std. steel # 5 grade bolts. No hot galv., stainless or even zinc-coated. While your at it you may as well trash the pop rivets and replace them with something more substantial.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
We're due back at the factory later this month for a post-warranty visit. Mostly small stuff, but the brackets have now failed on us twice -- which has made us a fan of plastic ties. I'll be asking for a more secure solution to the welded brackets they've been using.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #10

Our 06 went grille flappin in the freeway breeze one day. Since the radiator grille doesn't need to hinge open, except for serious service (not so on the 08+ units cuz the air filter is under the grille panet), seems like the really big fat heavy duty 175# zip ties would be a pretty decent fastening. Just need to drill holes in the right place. Its actually a lot easier to cut a zip tie, pull it out & replace it w/a new one than to fool w/access to bolts thru the fins of the grill IMO.
We should be carrying spare ZTs as standard OEM equipment, right?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We tried various bolts, nuts, etc. to fasten the radiator grille on our 2000 Alpine Limited starting in 2002 to no avail. We finally gave up and went the zip/cable tie approach in 2003 and the tie was still there when we traded the coach in January 2008. Of course, we carried spare ties but never needed them. There must be a Murphy's law on this that reads something to the effect, "Carry spare parts and you don't need them, Don't carry spare parts and you will surely need them."

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote