I decided to take things apart and make a new metal backing. The first thing I had to do was remove the roll pin from the e-brake switch. Normally you would use a punch and hammer, but that would not work, since things are not firmly attached. I decide to make a tool. Went to Home Depot and bought the cheapest slip joint plier. Drilled a hole in one end and welded in a length of a hex wrench. The other side I used a disc grinder and cut away some metal, so the pin would have somewhere to come out. Here is my tool:
This is the front of the dash and the aluminum piece that the factory used. Note that the only support for the aluminum is the ignition switch. The e-brake only mounts to the aluminum. Kind of strange in my mind.
I cut a larger piece of steel, drilled some holes and used a die-grinder to finish off things. Note that the back of the burl piece has screws attached. These are used to mound to the dash. I used three of these as supports. Should last a long time now. Cost me about $10.