Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #15

Lundy - You register it in Montana thru the LLC. Your LLC is set up in Montana and that is why it is legal to register there. If you return to CA and want to transfer the coach to CA and pay applicable CA licensing taxes you can now transfer it without paying the use/sales taxes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #16

lundy- If your goal is to have CA licensing, you simply license it in CA according to usual processes, and file w/the State Board of Equalization for the exemption. You pay all the usual DMV fees, which are as high as anywhere on planet Earth (coupla grand for the 1st year, but like the receeding of glaciers they come down imperceptibly each year until you cease to be concerned about such earthly matters).

Old 09-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #17

Lundy- When we did it in 2005, the CA registration was handled by the dealer (Saddleback) and we took possesion in Las Vegas at a truck stop. We had the paper plates for a while, but as I recall (we were having our mail forwarded to us) the plates came while we were out of state.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #18

We did the "Out of State Delivery" when purchasing our '03 from Guaranty in Indio - took delivery in Az. Stayed out of Ca for 90+ days, keeping all receipts (pages of them). Linda at Guaranty handeled all the DMV paperwork for us. Plates were sent to us when they arrived at our home in Ca. About a year later we got a notice for audit - so I copied every receipt, every cell phone bill (showing our out of state calls) etc. Made up a really detailed spreadsheetlisting all docs and took everything to State Board of Equalization in San Marcos, Ca.and haven't heard from them since! The lady at St.Brd. was really impressed with my records - so be diligent.

Important to show the rig was "in use" not in storage - have a banker friend who "got caught" and it cost him plenty! CYA!
dj

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Donna & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #19

Moderator, dgerstel, Basil Shannon, Bob Kapp, alpinerver, Gail & John, Vagaondman, Rick Colelman, htg3, Chuck & Marca, Engineer Mike, Landy & SteveS, thank you for your responses, input, and recommendations. We have communicated with Bennett's Law Firm and we understand why they have received so many recommendations from you. We live in Texas and having a Montana LLC appears to be do-able via the Bennett Law Firm. We are still shopping for an Alpine and have located a few to consider. We have faith the right coach will be located. We are just completing a specialized RV structure at our home with water, sewage, and electrical connections that will be a place to prepare our Alpine for each new adventure and that will protect our magical carpet when not in use. Thanks again. J.R. & Carmen Guinn
Old 09-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Good luck with your search! And let us know how it goes. We will be so glad to welcome you to our Alpine family.

If you don't get information about the Alpine Coach Association when you make your purchase, and you are interested in joining our happy group on our adventures, just log onto www.alpinecoachassociation.com and you can get an application and information on how to contact us. We'd love to have you!

And, there is a small group of Alpine owners who live in Texas that get together from time to time as well. If you are interested in more local gatherings, just let us know here, and Louis (who started the "Texans") will give you more info on how to get in touch.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #21

JR & Carmen,
Good luck in your Alpine search. Don't be afraid to travel long distances to find just the right one. Lindsay Hargett from Guaranty RV is active on this site and I am sure he will contact you (if he hasn't already). He will treat you right if he has something of interest. However, you probably don't need to be in a big hurry...spend time searching to make sure you get what you want.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #22

Keystone RV Center in Greencastle Pa. both sell Alpine RVs & Help facilatate llcs in montana you can email ron@keystonervcenter for more help.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
I agree that you should check with state laws in effect now. Our LLC atty in Missoula, MT, Jared Heggen, sent us info on CA statutes. When we bought our 2002, we took delivery in AZ and stored it there, but the following year had a letter from CA demanding tax. It took me a while to clear the matter, and it wasn't easy. We had left the unit in AZ five months. Anyway, be sure you know what you are doing. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 AM   #24

I think you are staring down the barrel of a shotgun. I saw this happen in the boating industry. Register your boat in Delaware for
$ 15.00. Then take your boat to MD. The Md Police were checking the marinas every week. If you got caught and a tremendous amount of them did. You paid the tax and then double that for the fine. I knew a Dr. that got caught in FL. $700,000.00 boat Cost him 128000.00 in tax, fines & court costs. I would hate to think what his own legal fees were. Just my 2 cents. Possibly the laws are a lot less strict in other states.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #25

Pending final paperwork, it appears imminent my wife & I are the excited and proud owners of a 2003 36' MDDS in incredible condition from Guaranty RV while representatives were in Albuquerque, NM at the International Balloon Fest. We met wonderful people there at the Alpine Coach Association rally and looking forward to joining & being part of the Alpine Coach family. Jim Hartry & Randy Wellette sales team from Guaranty really were outstanding in working with us to make this deal come together for my wife & me as well as other team members- Lowell, Jim, and Scott. Two Western RV factory reps there were also supportive and instrumental in helping this opportunity develop. Thanks guys! Job well done!!
J.R. & Carmen Guinn
Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #26

rbguinn,
congratulations and welcome to the Alpine family. Hope to hear about all your travels and hope to meet you at one of the Rallies (we couldnt be at the Albuquerque rally). Join the ACA and one of the regional clubs (such as the ACA so cal) and you will meet the NICEST people!!
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #27

According to the CA Board of Equalization the new 90 day rule is "the same as the old 90 day rule." It can be satisfied one of 2 ways-
1) take delivery out of CA and leave coach out of CA for 90 days (this does not appear to me to be the same in every way as how the old 90 day rule was interpreted, as use can include storage).
2) take delivery wherever is convenient and document that the coach is out of CA for more than 1/2 of the first 6 months.

Got the above info in a fresh opinion from the BOE after out early August purchase.
Tried to register our coach at the local DMV office, but was told they could not do anything till the coach actually enters CA. Called DMV in Sacramento & was transfered to a small group who handles "special" cases and found out local office story is not true; send your application (along w/another form, Statement of Facts or something like that, not known by local office on which you tell the outa state story and claim smog exemption for a diesel) to them and they'll process & send plates, or have local office call them. Total fees <$1000, tho we don't have the plates yet so the game is still in play.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #28

Perhaps there might be someone in the future that wants a RV and has flexibility. After a long hard look at these mentioned possibilities,I choose a rather unique and different approach. I understand that this method will only work if you have a very flexible lifestyle.
First of all, since we own RV's, we are on the road frequent,exactly "WHERE IS HOME" ? For some- Fulltimers- ???
I choose to buy land in Montana, build a modest Home in the mountains.Call Montana HOME. Spend time between Michigan and Montana. The tax savings bought the land and paid for part of the constuction. The fact that I am involved with the building trades sure helps...But now I own 2 houses in two states.....and the majority of the second was paid with sales tax saved !!!
If in the future I decide to put a larger addition on the Montana house- it was built into the plan. The idea was to just get the roof up and nothing too extravagant. The very first thing I did was get my new address from the post office and put up my MAIL BOX !
I spend time between Michigan and Montana-

This way, I do not involve myself with any future or present threat from different states regarding LLC status and attempts to overthrow/Degrade/reapproach it.
I know it is a uniquely different approach, but perhaps someone in the future will fit this catagory. It is rock solid and impossible to undermine.
PS. I found the cheapest and best land available in Montana in the Judith Basin County area. You are not to far west where prices soar. They call it "THE LAST BEST PLACE" and after close review of Montana would have to agree.