Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

Buying Tires??????

Recent discussion on the forum suggests the discount deals sponsored by FMCA for Michelin tires is a pretty good way to go. However, the best pricing for 275 80R is at about $530 per tire versus the 295 80R [direct replacement for the GYG670] at about $680 each--prices may vary by region/ tax and install separate.

Given that the Michelin 275s and the 295s [H Load rating] are "similar" in size and load, what would be wrong with putting 275s on the back axle and 295s on the front?????. My initial thought was --this just isnt done; but upon more reflection, I am not sure why you cant, and afterall, $600 is a tank or two of diesel.....As always--facts and opinions are both welcome.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
KAS

My hubby always compares prices from the Michelin FMCA but also by going to costco and other discount places and talking to people to get more prices on his ideal tire choice. Maybe there are other ways to buy the tires that will save you the money you need to save?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Why not put the 275's on the front also. Is there a reason to have the 295's?
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Don't understand why you are talking about G670s. Your coach was originally equipped with Toyo 295/75 and to retain the same overall diameter the Michelin equivalent is 275/80. A 295/80 will have a larger diameter and will affect your odometer if nothing else. If you must go the Michelin route then why not put 275/80 on all wheels. Personally I am staying with Yokohama 295/75.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #5

If you "retire" (that is to say get new tires) with larger (or smaller) tires, the tire shop should be able to re-tire the ECM spec for tire circumference using their scan tool software. They have to have Cummins software, but most tire shops handling commercial level tires (22.5's) should. Might be a modest charge for this.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #6

Good input--agree the/my 2003 came with Toyo 295 75Rs. I replaced them with GY G670s [295 80Rs] and yes, they did affect both speed and odometer readings--about 5%. Never pursued changing the ECM, choosing instead to adjust speed and mileage calculations on the fly. The question came from a friend who recently joined the first-time owners ranks and the Alpine-nation.

Again, my initial answer was: "of course not--you always put the same size tires on the front and back axles. But the significant difference in FMCA/Michelin pricing between tire sizes [$150 per tire] does beg some consideration of the question. As stated, I am leaning toward the 275 80Rs for both front and back but the narrower profile of the 275s is striking when compared to the 295s--nearly an inch. More an issue of looks rather than performance, but was thinking the wider 295s might handle a bit better on the front whereas the narrower tires really arent an issue on the rear duals--not in terms of looks nor performance.

PS--One negative against going with different size tires is that it would prevent periodic rotating of tires to disrupt any wear patterns but not sure that is something many of us do..
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put Michelin 305/70's on the front and Michelin 275/70's on the rear. The 305's are only about Ĺ" larger in diam. than the 275's but wider and will carry more weight, which is why I went to them.
I do seem to have more wander on the freeway now. Not a great deal more but noticeable even after an alignment.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #8

Old Scout, just for fun have a look at this http://yokohama-media.unitedfuture.c...Final_0511.pdf
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

John, I took your suggestion and looked at the Yoko link--very interesting conversation about the technology and the comparisons between leading brands for heat build and wear performance. Ref the size charts at the bottom--appears the Yokos only come in two sizes for our coaches--295 75R and 11R. Not necessarily a problem but the 14 ply [assume that is a G load rating] and the max single weight of 6175lbs is not as high as I would like to see on the front for a 40 ft coach. Technically, the 6175 lbs is more that enough for our front axle specs but I perfer the extra safety margin of an H-rated tire to accommodate any weight shift or wind load.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #10

It's a pity the XRV tire is not available in 295/75 or 275/80 as this has a higher capacity than the H tire. As Mr_D pointed out you could fit the 305/70 XRV to the front and maybe XZE3+ on the rear but technically the smaller diameter of the XRV means you should adjust the ride height to level the coach. By the way I don't think anyone moves the tires around to even wear. It's all too complicated for me.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #11

Going back to Old Scout's original post about 275 and 295. On my Apex now I have the 295 and I do carry a unmounted 275 for a spare, that I used on my 2000 36 footer. I measured the height between both of them and they are very close. Granted they are both H load range, but since the 295 is wider, it will carry more air and thus will carry more load. I see your coach is also a 40 footer, and my 40 footer that weighs over 33,000, I feel better having a bigger tire on it. If you used a 275 on the rear, you would lose an inch per tire, so you would lose 4 inches. I am all for saving money, but this isn't the place I would save it. This is just my thoughts.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
...I do seem to have more wander on the freeway now. Not a great deal more but noticeable even after an alignment.
So what you are saying is that there is a trade-off between weight carrying capacity and control vis a vis wider vs narrower?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW#1 - Road & Track did a survey of high performance racing or track tires for automobiles. Guess what, the number one tire in both racing fields was yep, Michelin. It scored tops in braking, acceleration, cornering and tread wear. Pirelli was dead last; Goodyear was 3 or 4 if I remember. Don't remember if Toyo was even mentioned, although they might have been.

Michelin tires have consistently scored near the top position in testing, being in the top 3. I don’t cheap out on tires, my life and the life of my BH is riding on those tires. I can cut out a few meals in restaurants or stay someplace longer to offset the price of the tire difference, so next year we are buying new Michelins.

Now, I don't completely understand the tire size difference, however, the OEM when designing the chassis, engineered a specific tire size on the rig, they did not say, that one smaller size was approved, had that been in the specifications, my guess to save money they would have used the smaller tire, WRV specified for my 2007 Apex this size - 295/80R – 22.5 tire size (heat is generated quicker and higher in a smaller tire size than a larger tire size- my guess is that is the reason for the larger tire size heat dissipation) and so because my life is on those tires, that is what size I’m using. That might cost me 150 more per tire, is my life not worth the extra thousand dollars?

Yes, I know that the tires will age out of useful life long before I put enough mileage on them to wear them out. However, Michelin does warranty those tires for 10 years, provided at the beginning of the 6th year, they are removed and inspected by an authorized/approved Michelin dealer, and if they check good can be used another year. That costs someplace between 300-600 dollars and that check needs to be performed annually to get to the 10 year point. Before anyone makes a tire purchasing decision, I would check the warranty of the brand you choose to see if the saving of the money works out in the warranty arena first, it may not.

FWIW#2 – Big Rigs put thousands of miles on their tires monthly, those tires almost always wear out due to mileage versus age in years, so it might behoove a OTR driver to put on Toyo’s or Firestones, or some other cheaper brand because he uses those up. They also must follow DOT rules for which axle can have retreads.

Please remember, and some of you already know this – Life is a one way street, which has bumps, some large almost insurmountable hills, some valleys which may seem endless, some oasis’s which are wonderful, pleasant and rewarding, and other spots along the way which broaden our mind, and enrich our hearts. However, the one way street has an abrupt END to it, and no one I know has survived that end. I am going to do whatever is necessary, within reason to make sure that END is put off as far along as I can. Sorry to be so longwinded.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Hanging New Tyres - A note from Michelin - This is a link about car tires, but the same forces apply to MH's. If you are thinking about only tires on the front or rear please watch this. additionally, you should find the you bube video from Michelin and watch how to handle a blowout if you have not seen it in a while. Hope this works and helps.

Tags
tires