Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Cable TV Operation 08 Alpine

Hi all,
We have a 2008 Alpine 40' MDTS and have not been able to figure out how to get cable TV. We hook up the input in the curbside bay where it is marked and put the switch in the overhead drivers side cabinet to cable, but have not been able to recieve cable regardless of which channel seach method we use. We bought our coach new, as a Bank of America repo from a dealer , but was sold to us by Bof A through another dealer, so there was no remote or books included. We purchased a Harmony 880 remote which I was told was the remote WRV used and had it programed by a dealer in WA that used to be a WRV dealer. He was not able to make it work either. I am wondering if there is someone with an 08 40' MDTS coach that might shed some light on how they receieve cable. I also had the Dish satalite installer when he set up the home satalite look at it and he had no idea as everything he tried did not work and per him, he has setup lots of sattalite services in TV. Ours actually has the Direct TV sataliite system, but he said he had signal to the coach from our home feed, but could not get it into the coach. I also thought if there was someone with the same coach and setup (if WRV did the same thing twice) that I could purchase another remote and send it to them and have them program our new one from theirs so at least I would know if the remote is programed correctly. Any words of wisdom from other Alpine owners? Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

I purchased two Alpine Coaches new and had problems with both them not wired correctly in the cabinets by the TV. None of the wires were labeled. The easiest way is to use an ohm meter to check continiuty from each each wire in for cable, roof ant, sat, portable dish, bedroom and label them. At least you know you should have a signal up to there. From there, you can trace all the wires to the switches and TV, DVD and see if they are wired correctly. The winguard ant booster switch was buried where you couln't even get to the push button. In my case, it was easier to rip out the all the wires from the switches and put in in Audiovox splitter box and rewired it all. Maybe yours is not all that bad. Before you worry about the remote, you should be able to run everything manually first and get everything working right. I didn't get a remote either. You sholud be able to program it once everthing is working right.

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #3

The connection you are hooking up to is for a patio TV set up. You need to hook your cable into the service bay. The upper left corner you will find your connection for cable TV and phone. You have to bend over and look up. When you hook up there the connection on the passenger side should work for a TV outside.
Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Road Warrior View Post
The connection you are hooking up to is for a patio TV set up. You need to hook your cable into the service bay. The upper left corner you will find your connection for cable TV and phone. You have to bend over and look up. When you hook up there the connection on the passenger side should work for a TV outside.
Alpine Road Warrior is absolutely correct. There are two coax connections on the curb side, neither one for cable input. One is to watch a patio TV set, fed from the entertainment center. There is also a connection for a portable satellite dish.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

Just Cruising,

Are you in Washington State? If you are, PM me and I might be able to come help you get it working.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldForester View Post
Just Cruising,

Are you in Washington State? If you are, PM me and I might be able to come help you get it working.
Hi,

No I am in Idaho in the Boise area, but I appreciate the offer should we get up your way. I had tried the cable input in the roadside service bay first when I fist bought the motor home to no avail. I was at Ulman RV in WA and thier tech told me that was not were the input was located and to use the curbside hookup, so I have been chasing it out for about a year now. I will go back to the roadside input with a meter and work towards the switches and TV to see where it is actually at. Sounds like a winter project to me as it is to nice now to not be traveling in our Alpine.

Thanks again for the offer,
Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Marvin; on my 2001 the Winegard TV antenna has a booster. If the Booster is on I cannot watch cable television. I must first turn off the booster in order to watch cable TV. So if you have a TV Booster, turn the power off. The switch for the power is located on a wall plate where the coaxial cable comes through a wall for the external TV antenna. Where it is located on a 08 I do not know.

I have attached a photo of what mine looks like. The on/off button is the small black button next to the cable. I hope this info helps with your predicament.
Attached Images

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Marv (or is it Donna?)-
I have the Dell TV. plug coax into park cable & the input in utility bay on driver's side.
A/B switch on Cable.
TV remote: push Input & using upper ^<>OK buttons select Digital TV, OK
TV Remote: press Menu, use arrows to get to Setup, arrow down to Channel Setup, put Antenna/Cable on Cable, then do Channel Search which will figure out which cable input channels have signal.
Then use Remote to run the TV. Entertainment device (CD/DVD player) has to be on correct sound input selection for it to play sound thru surround speakers.

If you have another TV it should work something like that.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #9

Mike probably has similar equipment to yours and can help more than I can. However if that does not work, every Alpine Coach that I have looked at has had the main coax cables color coded. WRV used white coax cables with a color band near the end.

Here is the color code from my schematic. (My coach matched.)

From Portable satellite - Purple
From Roof satellite - Green
Over air antenna - White
Cable - Red
To outside TV - Black
To bedroom TV - Blue

Before you spend too much time with a test meter, see if they are coded. The cables wiring the various components inside the entertainment center were not color coded.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Marvin - Everyone has provided I think most of what you need, the input is in the utility bay. What TV unit do you have? Did WRV hook up a VCR for the tuner to it, as they did in one 08 I saw? If you have the Dell TV, on the DELL remote are two buttons, one is “inputs” and the other is “menu” buttons to the right and left below the Power Button. Using the input button, it should display a numbered menu on the TV screen, using the big round button, scroll down and select the 4th menu item “TV”, then using the menu button find the screen which shows "search for channels", scroll down to this menu item and let the tuner find the cable channels. Don’t use the digital TV selection as the cable signal has to come over the old input for analog TV. If you PM me with a message and give me your e-mail address I will send you a copy of the dell manual, since I have it in PDF format.

As stated, many folks have wiring issues, we were fortunate not to have them, but it's still a learning curve on how all this stuff works. On my coach, the following numbers run different stuff. Number 2 is for the direct TV dish box, number 8 is for Silverleaf information (you may not have this feature), assuming a Sony DVD/Tuner, then I think its 10 or 12 so you can watch a DVD movie, but you will have to play around with that to figure out which number menu item makes what display. The Sony DVD/Tuner is another piece of work, but using the Sony remote, selects the "function" button to change between tuner-am, fm, DVD, and Video. Video lets the audio of the TV come through the stereo speakers in the sound system. To watch a movie, you would select DVD (This is also to listen to a Music CD), since it's a 5 disc changer.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same problem, turned out I needed to hit the cable input button on the remote DUH. Felt pretty dumb for a while then realized no one else knew.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote