Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #1

Here in Albuquerque we're supposed to get snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm wondering whether we should bring the slides in for snow or if it's no big deal. I really have NO idea what is "best practice".

Audrey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #2

Here in Albuquerque we're supposed to get snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm wondering whether we should bring the slides in for snow or if it's no big deal. I really have NO idea what is "best practice".

Audrey
Old 12-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #3

I say leave em out and enjoy the space. Should'nt be much different than rain. I would bring the slides in slow to make sure any left over snow falls of the topper.

Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #4

The 2 times I have been in snow I ended up sweeping the snow off the toppers before I could close them. The snow had partially melted and turned to ice. Last year in Saint Louis I hooked a hose up to the hot water to melt it enough to allow me to push the snow off. But like Danny I would leave them open and deal with the snow when it was time to close them.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:48 AM   #5

Our slide toppers are really good at collecting water - particularly on the living room slide - so I've been worrying about ice forming on the toppers.

But since we'll be here for a while we only need a warmish day to get the ice to melt. So I guess we'll leave the slides out.

Audrey
Old 12-17-2006, 05:12 AM   #6

We have been in the snow several times and have never pulled the slides in. Had to sweep it one time because of heavy snow fall but the extra room was worth the effort. As mentioned before, go slow when you do pull them in so the heavy snow pack does not weigh the slide topper down and ultimately have it fold over instead of retracting.
Lyle & Cathy
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I've been in snow twice. The first time with slides out. The second time I pulled the slides in. My preference is with slides in. The morning after the first snow, I had to go up on the roof and sweep the toppers off (ice) and the one slide that has no topper so the snow would not be forced into the coach. If you want early morning excitement, there is nothing like being on your coach's roof when it has snow/ice on it and trying to sweep the toppers and slide top. I will try to never repeat the experience.

I got into this situation because I did not listen to the weather report and snow is very quiet when it falls/acumulates. I was woken up early in the morning because the Sat dish could not find its' Sat and was roaming around in its' cacoon making the growling noise we all have become accustomed to hearing as it searches. I just turned it off and went back to sleep. Little did I know the reason for the dish loosing its' Sat was that it was covered in snow!
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you want early morning excitement, there is nothing like being on your coach's roof when it has snow/ice on it and trying to sweep the toppers and slide top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If we were planning to leave the first thing after a snowfall, we'd definitely leave the slides in, but we are grounded for a couple of weeks, so we have the "luxury" of waiting for things to melt.

Audrey
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #9

We have been in several snows and we get foam insulation boards and put it on top of the slides and had both a warmer area and less mess to clean up.
deborahcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #10

Hello
Here in Fallon NV. (64 mi from Reno) we had 2" of snow last night.
My thinking... If at night and snow is expected - slides in, If durning the day -- LET IT SNOW ... LET IT SNOW.
Mary Christmas to yawl...
Scratch & Goose
Old 12-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Last Thanksgiving we were camping with our 5er, had the slides out. When it was time to go I tossed a rope with several large knots in it over the slide and had my son help me pull the rope back and forth (length of the awning) to get the snow off. Worked fine getting the snow off.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
I like having a blow up beach ball for each topper they do a fine job of supporting the canvas and it increases the pitch. Just blow them up and slid them under the topper when finished with then, just deflate and fold them up.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #13

This last weekend we were camping at Lake Isabella in central cal and got a few inches of snow on out toppers, but being California it never seems to last long and by the time we left (about 4 pm) it was all gone. But I do like the idea of the beach balls if I ever find myself needing to camp in the snow for a prolonged period of time. But, having said that, I think that being from So Cal all my life I dont think that is ever likely to happen
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Hugh, How did that 40 footer handle the canyon? You were pretty close to our neck of the woods.