Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Can You Help Me ID This?

I have an item inside my battery compartment that I have no idea what purpose it serves. I can't tell what it is connected to and have never seen anything like it before. It has what appears to be a rheostat dial on the side with the word "GAIN" on it and a compression type slide switch of some sort on the front. Any help any Alpine (or other brand) owner can provide in identifying this item would be greatly appreciated. Here's a photo of the item:

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #2

YUP--looks like a brake controller for pulling a trailer with electric brakes....dont have any idea what it is doing in the battery compartment--noramally, its in the driver cabin where you can adjust sensitivity and gain, or manually activate trailer brakes if necessary.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks Old Scout for confirming my suspicions. I should have just asked you in the first place! That is what I thought it looks like but can't for the life of me figure out what on earth it is doing in the battery compartment. That would be a strange hangout - even for an ostracized DW!!!
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most definitely a brake controller. No idea why it's there. but it looks like its wired to work. Go figure!!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
That is a trailer brake controller. Typically it would be mounted under the dash within reach of the driver.

Seems weird it would be in the battery compartment.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
That does look like what it is, and installing it there sure would simplify running the wires as you wouldn't have to run them through the firewall and all the way down the length of the chassis.

If you always tow the same trailer loaded to the same weight you could just set it and forget it. Gotta admit for a second I considered installing my Prodigy 3 there after reading this, I'll probably go ahead and put it on the dash however.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Most Alpines that I know of are pre-wired for the brake controller. The wire just takes a little looking to find.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Not the early ones. Don't know when they started but I can guarantee it wasn't '99.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

Reminds me of teaching our daughter how to drive and explaining the dimming of the headlights with the lever on the steering column. Told her in my day the switch was on the floor. She could not figure out how we could reach down, dim the lights and drive safely.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #10

JRod- working the floor switches safely on the motorhome is pretty easy; I've added a few switches below for things I wanted. I frequently make adjustments or just duck under the dash to check stuff out for folks posting questions on iRV2 while on the road (I check every so often on my smarty phone to see if something new posted).

I just set the cruise a bit slower than regular traffic, then reach for the switch.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

a ha, now it makes sense why you are in the lead and we follow. May we never travel in opposite direction on the same road.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
That is a trailer brake controller. Typically it would be mounted under the dash within reach of the driver.

Seems weird it would be in the battery compartment.

Jeff
Maybe the driver WAS driving from the battery compartment
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote