Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Can't get fresh water to fill

The fresh water fill doesn't seem to do anything. Suspect the valve could be stuck. When I turn it from the city position I can hear a whoosh but then nothing happens. Any ideas?

Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
If you are trying to fill the tank it has to vent. try turning on the pump and opening a cold water sink valve to de pressureize the tank.

johnstonhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Thanks, johnstonhp,

Followed your instruction and it worked like a charm. I don't know why they didn't mention this in the manual. Thanks, again.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
Gabe, your solution suggests you have a problem. The tank should fill without removing pressure by pumping water out of the tank. Look at the overflow, it is probably plugged, as water comes into the tank air should be vented via the overflow (not the dump). At least on our water tank there are 2 pipes on the front, 1 at the top, the over flow, and 1 at the bottom, the drain (water to the pump comes out of the tank at the rear, bottom). IIRC, the overflow is a 3/4" pipe, the drain is a 1 1/2 pipe, both go through the floor and drain outside. Some folks had problems with the tank draining out the overflow while they were driving and might have fixed it with a valve, not a good idea, overfilling the tank will stress the walls and seams and could lead to failure. The same goes for relieving the over pressure via the pump and water, once the tank is full you need air flowing to equalize pressure, otherwise you create a vacuum in the tank that can also stress and damage it. Be sure you have free air flow to the tank BOTH ways, filling and using the water!
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
You should have two vent pipes--one in front and one in back. Hard to believe both are plugged. Aplines had/have a design issue with these vent pipes--when the fresh water tank is very full, they will form a siphon and drain out a good portion of the water you were hoping to use at your dry camp. Many owners have added one or more shut-off valves to these vents to prevent the siphon effect. Need to make sure one or both are open when filling or emptying the tank--both over and under-pressure are bad for these tanks.
PS--the fill port for freshwater has a plastic check valve that is prone to failure. The "City/Fresh Water" selector value is also prone to failure.
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
I agree with Old Scout, there are two vent pipes. The "City/Fill" valve is easily repaired by removing the cap and replacing the innards with the innards from another valve. It is easier than getting the PEX tubing off of the barbs to replace the whole valve! Mine failed once in 12 years. I can live with that.

Siphoning is a big problem, but easily fixed as noted. I used a vacuum breaker and a valve as well. That fixed it. Easy job.

Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, water