Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Can't View TV with Antenna

Just purchased a 2004 40 MDTS and have not been able to view TV with the antenna signal on the front or rear TV. I have the 37" plasma TV up front. The Winegard entertainment select box is turned on and I have tried selecting the antenna fir both TVs and also passing the antenna signal through the VCR to the front TV, but still get no picture on either TV. The antenna is also cranked up. Any recommendations appreciated. Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

I umderstand your Coach is 2004 and if the TV's are OEM supplied, they may not have a digital front end and I would doubt very much that your VCR can receive Off Air digital TV either.

Does your TV antenna system have an analogue amplifier in the circuit?

You may need one or 2 D to A converter box.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Middle of 2009 was the transition to digital. TV's prior to 2009 are unlikely to be "digital ready". As Libero mentioned, you probably need one or more digital receivers (converter). The DA Converter does a conversion of the digital broadcast signal to an analog signal for older TVs. The converters are about 8 inches wide X 2 inches high X 6 inches deep and are 120VAC powered.
The Digital TV Transition: What You Need to Know About DTV
RCA DTA800B1 Digital TV Converter Box, Analog Pass-Through DTV Converter Box, Compact Converter Box, RCA Converter Box
Old 12-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

I agree that is the most likely explanation. Some owners have no idea about "over the air" issues as they are on either cable or satellite. After playing with the digital converter boxes for a year I pitched both my old sets and bought new HDTV sets. Time for an upgrade!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TV

Do I need one for each TV or just the main antenna line coming in prior to the splitter?

Bill
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
Do I need one for each TV or just the main antenna line coming in prior to the splitter?

Bill
One converter for each TV if you want to watch different channels on each. Also, you will need to set the TV's for either channel 3 or 4 and use the converter to change channels.
After struggling with the converters for a while we upgraded both sets to new LED units and they work much better and receive more channels too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

When the country went through the conversion process you could get a voucher to cover the cost of the converter box. Now you have to pay for one, assuming they are still available. You may get lucky and someone will give you their old one, otherwise I think it will be a waste of money.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
can you not go back to the seller and ask ?
Did you turn on your signal booster ?

convertor boxes, IMHO, are very much a waste of money and effort for what will be less than satisfactory performance... new tv's are way down in price.... especially right after Christmas sales !

but if you have a 37" plasma - guessing it was not the original tv...

maybe the original owners only watched up front ? and didn't setup the rear tv ?

give us model numbers, etc.. of the tv's and we can do a google search to see if they will handle digital only broadcast...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do I need one for both TV's.. NO, you need one for the VCR then you can feed same channel to both TV's.

One major word of caution.. I've been helping the camp host with some electronic issues in his RV, I've shot 2 out of 3 troubles and will shoot the 3rd when I return to that park in 1.5 weeks.

Light up entrance handle.. Re-engineered, replaced lamp and resistor (not related to this thread)

OTA antenna not getting many channels.. Removed FROM ANT lead from the converter and hooked it back to the ANT lead on switch box, Ran jumper from TO VCR on Switch box to converter, Moved converter out from ANT to FROM VCR on switch box. What was a signal in the 20's now pushing 90. What was ZERO now over sixty.

You do have to aim the antenna.. This is important.

But you WILL need that converter.

IF, your switch box has extra inputs and outputs...

(For example mine is a 3 TV switch box but I only have 2)

Run the unused output to the Converter, then run the converter back to an unused input (AUX) as your first mod.

If not, put the converter in the VCR line (TO VCR) and leave the VCR off so it passes through I use DVR's. two converters, a complete re-wire, different system, designed by me, and very little of the original wiring, but what I've described above was "earlier versions" of my install.

Once you have it working, I can improve it for you and get you multiple stations as well.. I'm still improving mine (one more slight mod needed).
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

Of the ones out there, the RCA is a better unit. Your Wingard should provide power to your antenna.

If the Windgard has a 3/4 switch that lights when you push the button, you only need to use that for a DVD player. It's the RF modulator control and can be left off. It is not power to the antenna.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Middle of 2009 was the transition to digital. TV's prior to 2009 are unlikely to be "digital ready". As Libero mentioned, you probably need one or more digital receivers (converter). The DA Converter does a conversion of the digital broadcast signal to an analog signal for older TVs. The converters are about 8 inches wide X 2 inches high X 6 inches deep and are 120VAC powered.
RCA DTA800B1 Digital TV Converter Box, Analog Pass-Through DTV Converter Box, Compact Converter Box, RCA Converter Box
NOT ALL converters need 120VAC.
The one I use: < http://www.artectv.com/ehtm/products/t3ap.htm >
on the VCR in my coach is 12VDC powered, and smaller, (6.42"W x 1.18"H x 3.94" D).
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #12

I can't believe there are still VCR's out there.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
2009 may have been the transition year for on air broadcasts, but my RV was built in 2007 and both TV's are digital.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah but there is Digital and there is DIGITAL.
The TV I just replaced was "Digital" it picked up Digital CABLE and decoded it just fine, but ATSC, not a option (That is over the air digital) Alas, it died of old age (Even if it was not all that old, six years) and the replacement is ATSC, HD, Wide screen, Lighter, Slightly smaller, and the picture is so sharp... Well.. My razor should be so sharp.

So which digital is it? 12 or 12.2 (the last is an ATSC channel, the first, QAM)

Tags
antenna