Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #1

For those of you that have a 2006, or there about, vintage Alpine with the black, push button cargo bin door latches; have I got a deal for you. I have had the misfortune to have two broken latches, I won't go into detail, too embarrassing; one was my fault and the other can be attributed to a local maintenance facility here in San Diego. In any case after a bunch of phone calls and checking the internet I've come with a source of Southco latches at a very reasonable price. By the way, Guaranty does not presently stock these items. Should you need one now or think you might want to keep a spare handy here's the information.
Call Perlane Sales, Inc.
4665 Allen Road
Stow, OH 44224
1-800-783-7197
Craig is your contact
The latch is a Southco C5-31-45; Guaranty does not have the part number and probably no one else does either.
The usual street price of these little gems is $46.00 to $73.00. Perlane sells them for $22.00 plus shipping. They have over a hundred in stock. This is a deal.
For more information check out www.southco.com.
I know this model is the correct one because I've already received three replacements and installed one.

Dick Bunting
San Diego

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

For those of you that have a 2006, or there about, vintage Alpine with the black, push button cargo bin door latches; have I got a deal for you. I have had the misfortune to have two broken latches, I won't go into detail, too embarrassing; one was my fault and the other can be attributed to a local maintenance facility here in San Diego. In any case after a bunch of phone calls and checking the internet I've come with a source of Southco latches at a very reasonable price. By the way, Guaranty does not presently stock these items. Should you need one now or think you might want to keep a spare handy here's the information.
Call Perlane Sales, Inc.
4665 Allen Road
Stow, OH 44224
1-800-783-7197
Craig is your contact
The latch is a Southco C5-31-45; Guaranty does not have the part number and probably no one else does either.
The usual street price of these little gems is $46.00 to $73.00. Perlane sells them for $22.00 plus shipping. They have over a hundred in stock. This is a deal.
For more information check out www.southco.com.
I know this model is the correct one because I've already received three replacements and installed one.

Dick Bunting
San Diego

Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the imfo. I have 2 that are close to breaking.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #4

Thanks! I was trying to find a deal on a few spares too.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #5

You might look on Ebay before ordering as there are a number of outfits selling Southco latches. The best price I found was $4 "Buy It Now" plus shipping.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

That may be true about latches sold on E-Bay being cheaper, but I caution you that there are a zillion different combinations of latches that Southco offers. Check out their site at www.southco.com and you'll see just how many variations are available. Only the model C5-31-45 will work on a 2006 Alpine Coach, and "probably" other model years with a similar door. Of course the Smart Beds latches are a whole different critter. The "C5" is a model designation, -31 is door thickness (Which is a bit confusing because WRV apparently wanted to keep the inside face of the latch housing semi-flush with the inside face of the door; and this doesn't necessarily correspond with the "actual" door thickness.), and the 45 represents the length of the actual latch arm that contacts the striker plate. It's not all that confusing once you do the research. I initially began my quest for a replacement with Art at Guaranty; they had one latch remaining. By the way, Art was extremely helpful and a true gentleman to work with. I figured if it came from Guaranty it was for an Alpine not the case. It was in chrome, which I figured I'd scuff sand and paint; unfortunately the latching arm was way too short -- it went back. After several phone calls to various suppliers across the country I finally discovered Perlane. They were the only company that had the required C5-31-45, even Southco did not have any in stock. Of course you cannot buy directly from the factory, only their suppliers. Believe me, $22.00 and change is a bargain when the going prices, if you can locate the correct latch can exceed $75.00.

Dick
Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #7

Roger that Birdog. I tried the EBay route and founds tons of similar Soutco latches, but none that were an exact match...
Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #8

L-19,

Thanks for this info. I have a 2006, and have noticed a couple of my pushbutton latches getting a little sloppy. I am going to order 3 or 4 of these while they are available. This is good research we can all use.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #9

The eBay seller I used was Bontragers RV Surplus. Retail sellers of these SouthCo latches are hard to find.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bontragers-RV-Surplus

You do have to know the correct model # of the SouthCo latch - however some of them only have a different bracket type to hold the latch from the inside of the door panel. You can probably use the bracket off the old latch since that is probably not the part that was broken. That gives you a little more choice on what new latch you buy.

The one I needed was the propane hatch (no lock) which I broke off by putting the room slide out while the hatch was open so I could watch my jack. I used a C5-13-45 (C5-11-45 was the one with the correct bracket). Price was $4 plus shipping. I installed it this morning in about 5 minures.

Incidentally, Bontragers has a bunch of other parts and stuff on their www site at very good prices.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #10

Update - Well, I did it again - this time one of the locking latches. Short version: the fresh water pump leaked, flooding the basement and I had the hatch open to dry it out while I opened the room slide!!! "What was that noise, honey?"

All of the Southco C5 latch bodies are the same size and keyed alike. The second number indicates the door thickness and locking/non-locking version. By using the bracket piece off the old latch, I was able to use a C5-23 just fine, and I think that several other model numbers would also work. The third number indicates the actual length of the latch arm. By removing the striking bolt completely, I was able to use a C5-23-35 since I couldn't find a C5-31-45 or C5-23-45.

stores.ebay.com/Bontragers-RV-Surplus still has a few for sale - currently $10 plus shipping - I bought an extra.

By the way, the latches on the drivers side have a bent steel plate on the back which I think was installed backward on my coach. If it is rotated around correctly, it keeps the latch arm from opening up completely - thereby preventing the latch from striking the slide-out when it opens while the hatch is up.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #11

As it happens I was just @ Bontragers facility in White Pigeon MI today. Saw what appeared to be the same basement Southco door latches but in white, not black. I did find some front hubcaps that are the same as the style originally supplied by WRV. These had the same p/n as my original so bought 3 @ $5 ea.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Anybody know if this is the same latch used in the 2005 models ?

Thanks
Dave Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Dave:

It's the same one used in 2003 (C5 sealed latch). I think they were the same until discontinued for the Smartbeds. Here is a link to their website:

Lever Latches | Southco

BTW, Snuggery's link, above, is broken.

Looks like you'll want the C5-33's. (Sealed locking head with dustcover.) I haven't checked what the grip range is, you'll need to measure (for the final part number).