Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

Carpet & tile replacement

I am thinking about replacing the carpet in the living room, and tile in the kitchen, and bathroom. Would like to change to a wood laminate. Has anyone done this? How much work was it and did removing the carpet cause more noise when travelling? Any installer suggestions for Ventura County or Southern CA? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced our carpet and tile with commercial vinyl planks. No additional noise. We also put electric heat under it. We had the work done and the tile was very difficult to remove. We love the new floor. I can send a photo if you have any interest.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #3

Wood laminate works great, as long you install on the foam pad and don't glue it to the sub floor. It has be able to have a little movement. There is no increase in road noise.

I did it on 2000 and it looked great.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

We are in the middle of doing this now (wood not laminate). A ton of work. I know it will be worth it when it's done but be sure you know what you're signing up for
Old 05-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
JWJ

I am planner to replace my tile and carpet on our 2001.
I would prefer to avoid removing the old tile, but I have a few cracked tile and I can't seem to find replacement tile.
Does the existing tile extend under the interior walls?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
There is minimal space between the floor tile and the slide. You may not have enough clearance for two layers of tile.

When we met with Scott & Bobby at Amazing Creations, Junction City, OR, they showed the DW and I away to replace some of the tiles (squares) in center with a different color/design. Then use the tiles that were removed to replace the cracked ones.

I think this is much easier and less expensive than replacing the entire floor.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

JWJ - What tile do you have? I am replacing my tile and carpet and if the installer can get some pieces up without breaking them you are welcome to them. Can you take pictures?
Old 05-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

I have an 02. Alfa 5th wheel with 3 slides and want to replace the carpet and tile with laminate. Do I need to be concerned with the slides needing to be adjusted
Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

Knorr9876 - I don't know about your RV but according to the installer on mine the slide is not supported by rolling on the floor so a slight change in floor height isn't an issue. They will just take out the existing carpet and put the laminate down.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club

Steve, I see your comments above about slides not running on rollers (I figured that out after looking at the slide) did you replace your carpet with hardwood? I am about to replace mine with an engineered flooring that is a 1/2" thick. I intend to put UHMW tape on the aluminum "angle iron" on the leading edge of the slide so if ever did come in contact with the flooring it will not mar it.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

We replaced the flooring in my previous MH with glue down engineered wood.
It came out nice, but was very labor intensive. I removed the couch, captains chairs, the booth dinette (which we replaced with a table and chairs), all the floor moulding and the interior doors and door jams. We also replaced the toilet while we were at it and laid travertine in the toilet room. The only travertine issue was the pieces I cut and bull nosed for baseboards. One came off and had to be reglued. I had the travertine laying around and figured what the heck, I can always replace it if it cracks.

I have some pics if anybody is interested. I also have some thoughts on things that I would have done differently.

Would I do it again?? Not sure, but I'm thinking that if push came to shove I probably would. A couple I know got a price for their 35' gasser, I think there might be more labor, I believe they were told $7-$8k. So Cal price.

We ended up spending about $1600 IIRC which included the glue, flooring, toilet, new rubber step tread.

I didn't notice any noise difference and the cleaning was easier.

They travertine looked nice, but was ice cold!!! We used a little tiny bathroom rug on it.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club

Terry, pictures would be great. We intend on replacing the living room carpet only, not the slide floor or the bathroom. We have 2 very fine cracks in the floor between the kitchen and the bathroom that have been there for many years and have not changed during that time, so I am not going to worry about it. I figure it is ~67 square feet and even at $4 a sq ft, that is about $300', I will do all the work and post pictures after we are done. I have ordered a 5 yard roll of 3" UHMW tape for the bottom of the leading edge of the slide ($16) Amazon just in case it does come in contact with the flooring. I am going to install padding and glue both the padding and the flooring to the sub-floor. I figure the total will be under $500.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #13

Dave,

I don't know exactly how your floorplan is set up, but I'm guessing it's similar to mine, enter on tile and carpet just behind the seats to the edge of the kitchen. Fairly small area and should be pretty straightforward.

I didn't use any padding, I just glued right to the floor. If I was gonna do it again I wouldn't do the slide floor either. I'd leave it carpeted, lot less work. I'm curious what you have planned for the area under the slide lip. Do you plan on sliding the new floor under the edge? Like I said, just curious.

I have no idea how to post pics so I will do what I can to e-mail them to you. I'm pretty challenged with having gone from an old desk top to a new laptop and Windows XP to Windows 8 and now Windows 10.

Terry
Old 09-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #14

PM sent

Tags
carpet, replace, replacement