Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #1

carpeting entry steps, ideas

We have carpet rems from the house which we would like to use in the entry on our Alpine. Would like to cut out several runners and replace them as necessary. Could use some ideas on how to secure the runner. Any photos would be appreciated.

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #2

For what its worth, here is a picture of my mid-door steps after I pulled up the existing steps and risers. I found approximately 1/4" thick plywood screwed down on two steps. The rest was the steel step. There is also a strip of wood right next to the door. It was low, so I had to put in a piece of wood to bring it up the height.

I put in wood step covers, so I can't suggest how to tack down the carpet strips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steps during.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	12142  
Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

I would just use some industrial strength velcro. I have been thinking about doing this very thing to our new coach so the carpet can catch the dirt etc and it does not get up into the coach. good luck, let us know what you do and how it works.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #4

Carpet Rems work Great! Have them binded and a no skid pad sew or glue that onto the bottom - as long as it's a hard surface (not carpet) it wont move..

FYI - We have a binder at the shop we do this all the time, if interested let me know. We're in Sumner, Wa.
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We bought a black polypropelene rug chair protector (not the solid vinyl kind) from Costco and cut it up to fit the steps. The rug just lies there until we pick it up to shake it out or brush it off. Cheap, decent looking, and simple.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I purchased some indoor/outdoor carpet found on 30" rolls at Home Depot. For installation I simply used double stick tape across the top and bottom and front and back of the stairs and laid the cut-to-fit carpet.

To give the job a bit of style I purchased 1/4" brass tubing and cut it to fit snugly in the creases.

Total time for the job was about two hours

These pictures were taken today, over two years from installation, with no movement or problems. When the brass gets tarnished I simply remove them, polish, and slide back in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caoch stairs (1).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	12164   Click image for larger version

Name:	caoch stairs (2).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	12165  

jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #7

I also use heavy-duty velcro on each end to hold the runners in place and it has worked well. We bonded the edges of the rems to keep them from fraying by using a butane-type lighter for a BBQ grill or fire. Only took a a minute or so for each to heat the edge and melt the edge threads so they wouldn't com apart.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We also used the indoor/outdoor carpet (slightly ridged so it really collects the dirt), but with a special industrial strength glue. It's been in for 4 years, and still is secure. We simply clean it with a whiskbroom to get rid of all of the stuff it collects.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #9

Thanks!
Got some good ideas from your posts
Think I will get the 30" runner material from Home Depot. Secure it with double sided tape and plated music wire under tension to hold corners in.

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote