Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #183

Following up on E-Mike's message, when we had our bracket done by Carrier and Sons, I thought we were #2 after RVersOnline had theirs replaced by Carrier. Carrier had a bracket made for us that matched RVer's, but they have a 34' and we have a 36', and they were different, so Carrier had the welding shop make a different bracket to fit our coach while we were there. (They made one to match the 34' and it didn't fit). We were there on May 17 of last year (2009) and RVer'sOnline were there a few weeks before us, based on what Tom told me at the NoWaCa rally a few days earlier, when he had his repaired.

WRV closed over a year earlier (April 15 of 2008, I believe), so I would be surprised if WRV sent owners there for repair or if they made brackets for this application before WRV closed. I may be wrong on RVers and us being the guinea pigs for the 34' and the 36', but that's what I believe we were told when we had those replaced in the first part of the year, and why Carrier had to redo our brackets a little to get them to fit. At that time there were several people who had requested information on Carrier's bracket or asked them to make it for them.

So, it's seems, based on what we were told, that timing wise a little out of place for the welding shop to say that WRV sent coaches there for the bracket repair before they closed.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #184
MRL

Carrier and Son's is working with someone else. I stopped by this shop to see if they could help with my motorcycle lift. It has been tilted since we had it installed in Reno, NV back in '08 and needs a shim kit. However, we will not be in Reno anytime soon...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #185

I spoke with Ron, of Ron's Hitch & Tow in Eugene this morning (MRL gave me the number). Apparently an Alpine owner discovered the weak steering bracket issue somehow, and Ron did some welding to brace the bracket more sturdily back to the frame. The Alpiner sent photos to the factory, still in business then, and WRV sent another half dozen or so local owners who complained of steering gear weakness to Ron's for stiffening. WRV paid Ron's to do the work, at least on the subsequent coaches. This may have happened in other areas of the country as well. Sounds like WRV knew of the problem near the end, tho the extent of their understanding (beyond extending customer service) is indeterminate.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #186

Mike,

Well, that discussion says a lot. It's interesting that I got the message that we were one of the early ones. I knew Carrier was having the bracket fabricated by someone else. The fact they turned the bracket around so fast helps explain where they got some previous knowledge. It is interesting that WRV had sent owners there for the welding work and still didn't put together a recall or something like it, or at least change the design of the bracket. Carrier has done a fair amount of Alpine work. They told me they did several radiator jobs on Alpines and that was before a lot of them were reported. So there's apparently a number of Alpine owners in the NW who aren't active on this forum that have had some of the same work we have done accomplished by Carrier.

I'm glad you followed up on this and now wonder if those other owners have had some other work done we don't know about.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #187

Just did the stiffener upgrade to the OEM steer gear bracket on an 05FDQS today. 33,700 on the clock and a 1.75" crack, fresh, no rust to speak of on the crack and fairly fresh paint on the OEM bracket over all.
This is the earliest in mileage I've recorded the formation of the crack.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #188

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

With a crack like that like that, does it have to be welded or could a small hole be drilled at the end of the crack to stop the stress riser? Or just put the bracket on?
If you're comming near Portland I would let you help me with my bracket!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #189

If you don't stop the over stressing, the crack will progress till it shears the bracket off the frame at the back. See post# 137 of this thread for the (ugly) baby photos of what happens if this is not fixed.

A proper cure IMO consists of, at a minimum:
1) stiffening the frame (like where the front bracket flange lands on a full height 3/8" plate that stiffens the frame),
2) stopping the excessive steer gear bracket flex so the steel stays within reasonable range of loading.
It also helps to:
3) change the stress transfer from OEM bracket rear face to frame so the loading is in shear and not bending, and
4) separate the bracket-to-frame bolts to decrease the load they need to resist and therefore the degree of flex they try to transmit to frame members.
This link shows an add-on bracket stiffener that does the above.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #190

Alpine Owners Club
I guess I didn't phrase the question right.
Before installing the bracket, if a crack is visable, does it need to be welded or in your opinion would drilling the end of the crack, if very short, be ok? I bought the bracket and will install it soon.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #191

Two- If the crack is 3" or more, there should be some additional thought to the problem before installing the stiffener. So far, folks have reported cracks of 2.5" or less. In an extreme case, I'd recommend installing the stiffener with all 8 bolts, then applying a longitudinal fillet weld along the top of the OEM bracket to the forward side of the stiffener, but I'd want to see a photo of the condition first.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #192

Well ... since Im in the repair mode...... and half way done with the rear transfer from the 5/8th's to 3/4 inch bolts on the NEDWAY AIR.....{Geeze!}

Where can i purchase this steering brace kit ?

Can it be sent through the mail or must I come get it?

Im pretty capable and have a good size tool shop and lots of tools.

The only question I have is will I be WELDING anything at all or will this be a BOLT ON Application?

Heck, I got a welder too but would rather a experienced Vet do they welding on something like this... either way, it can be done....

Just where to pick up the kit?

Cutting huck bolts off is no problem as I have numerous grinders/sawzalls/
whatever it takes...does not faze me....
Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #193

Emike is your source, Im sure he will chime in soon. No welding required just drilling and taping.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #194

This outfit has the kits. If your browser paginates same as mine it'd be the 5th item down in center column of products.
No welding, just cutting, drilling, bolting, torquing. Good slightly advanced DIY'er project. You'll need permanent thread locker, tools, gloves, ear & eye protection, elbow grease, and of course the ever necessary big sweaty wad of money. Being able to work in tight places is a plus.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #195

Thanks Wayne.

I was looking page by page back for the kit.... and just when I add to this thread..... OF COURSE!
There it was on the first three threads on page one.... AND ...Of course I was up to page 30 looking for the kit.

I guess the most important things

I am guessing the "redlands" steering kit is the same Carrier Kit?

I figure it cant be anymore difficult then crawling under a motorhome and drilling out and lining up the nedway air with the frame.....

Well 6 down and 5 to go.....
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #196

Thanks Engineer Mike,
Well I have been working in a pretty tight spot the last few days... I think I can handle it!

One last question... Is this the same kit as the Carrier brothers/? {something like that}