Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #1

Just ordered the Wilson permanent mount trucker antenna and direct connect amp.

I opted for the direct connect cable system thinking it would work better than the wireless setup.

Has anyone used both, and what were your results.

I am retiring July 15, 2006 (finally) and will be hitting the road and wanted to make sure I would always be able to get reception. In addition I purchased a Verizon Broadband card that seems to be working okay so far. I think with a cable adapter I should be able to connect the wireless card to the antenna also.

ThanX for any input...... Keep the Rubber Side Down.

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #2

Just ordered the Wilson permanent mount trucker antenna and direct connect amp.

I opted for the direct connect cable system thinking it would work better than the wireless setup.

Has anyone used both, and what were your results.

I am retiring July 15, 2006 (finally) and will be hitting the road and wanted to make sure I would always be able to get reception. In addition I purchased a Verizon Broadband card that seems to be working okay so far. I think with a cable adapter I should be able to connect the wireless card to the antenna also.

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Walt - Congratulations on finally getting to retire! What is Julie going to do?

Tris put one on our '03 and we had WRV put one on our Apex while they were building it. I will have Tris call you - I think we still have your phone#! He is working at the City Yard today!

Carolyn
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #4

Hi Walt: We left for a 2 month Colorado tour last mid-May and I installed the Wilson antenna and the three amp amplifier. It has worked absolutely perfect. We've been in Pagosa Springs for a couple of weeks and without the connection we have one bar. Connected we have three and Debi can talk to her mother forever. We increased our Verison monthly minutes to 1200. I "think" we will be ok. Congratulations on your retirement. I've been practicing for the past 9 years and think I've got it figured out.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #5

ThanX Chris & Carolyn

Did you use the Direct Connect cable to your phone, or the wireless version?

My retirement came a little sonner than I had planned, was going to keep working until the end of the year........ but as things sometimes change......... you got to go with the flow. I'm excited, but at the same time........ a little worried too. I have worked all my life with nothing more than a week off here and there..... wish me luck.

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #6

I have to come by and say hi one of these days. I miss my rig.
rockcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #7

Where and how are you going to mount your antenna? I went to the Wilson website and I get the impression the antenna requires drilling a hole on the roof. How do you then run the wiring (cable) and to where?

Thanks, Rick Coleman
Old 07-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #8

Rick:

Haven't received the Wilson yet, but from understanding the directions you are able to shorten the 7" screw mount to what ever dept you need. I opted for the permanent mount verses the glass mount thinking maybe the degraguation of the siginal would be less.

What I am hopeful will be the same is the cable that is attached to the CB Antenna that is already mounted on the roof and exits under the dash. The CB antenna is mounted to an elevated plate that the horns are also fixed to. If not, I'll have to re-route from the same location.

Will give an update once I have the system installed.

How have others installed theirs'

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 07-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #9

Do all Alpines ('04+) have a CB antenna cable running from the roof antenna bracket to the dash area? Could you use such a pre-existing cable in tandem with both a CB radio and a cellular phone amplifier antenna?

Thanks, Rick
Old 07-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Congratulations Walt & Julie:

I glad to hear about the Retirement. I installed my Cell antenna in the roof on the front cap it was easier to get to and run the Coax down into the dash. I did not use the Wilson antenna I used a standard cell antenna permanently mounted and it works fine. If they had Wilson I may have used it instead. I am still thinking of installing an amp into the system as long as it will work on digital signal.

Hello & Welcome Rick: The CB antenna will not work for Cell phones although the Coax may be OK depending on type of coax they installed for the CB. The mounts are different from CB to Cell antenna. It should not be too hard to run another coax from the roof to the dash for the Cell I know it is not hard on my 01; the hardest part was pulling the TV out to get to the back of the cabinets.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #11

Walt wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In addition I purchased a Verizon Broadband card that seems to be working okay so far. I think with a cable adapter I should be able to connect the wireless card to the antenna also.
Walt / Julie Darden
2004 Alpine 40FDTS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We also want to know if the Verizon aircard can be connected to an antennae or amplifier and how? Does anyone have this setup? Plan on getting the aircard this week. Want to get the right stuff.
Thanks.

Lois & John, '02 38FDDS, '01 4x4Ranger
rosegramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #12

rosegramma,

I subscribe to Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess and use the Kyocera KPC650 aircard. The KPC650 has a jack for an external antenna, if needed.

The standard aircard from Verizon (Verizon Wireless PC 5740, which I believe is made by Audiovox) does NOT have a jack for an external antenna.

The KPC650 has to be special ordered from Verizon, since the retail stores do not stock it. The KPC650 also costs more than the standard aircard, but it is worth it.

I learned all this the hard way, since I first bought the standard aircard, but found that I did not get a very good signal in some areas, so I went back to the store and traded (with an additional cost and some exchange headaches, of course) for the KPC650 and an external antenna. Most of the time, I do not need to use the external antenna, but its nice to know that I can when I need it. My experience with the KPC650 and Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess over a period of 6 weeks in traveling from North Texas to Yakima, WA and back has been very good.

By the way, there are some good forums to check out about EVDO, which is the technology used by Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess:

EVDO Forum link

Dale Dowdy
2006 Alpine Coach 36FDTS
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #13

Dale, Thanks for the info and website. Just what I needed. Tons of good info here. Will buy from them.

Lois
rosegramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #14

I have a Verizon air card with broadband access. Iinterface it with an amplifier and a Wilson cell phone antenna when really our in the boonies. You can buy the air card and connecting cable on line at Verizon. Do not buy the routine advertised card. I will not accept an external antenna connection. Buy the Kyrocera KPC650 card and buy the antenna adaptor cable kit for it.
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote