Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
hax

Center Console Electrical Problems

I have lost power to every thing on my center console that requires the key to be on. I have no power to the heater/AC panel, the overhead fans, the HWH panel or the Gen Slide switch. The radio, overhead lights, step cover, gen start all work.
I can't seem to find any loose wires that look like they haven't been loose for years.

I thought it might be the ignition switch, but it starts.

Are these inop systems powered through the accessory switched VEC

I metered the accessory solenoid, and I have power coming to the solenoid, but I don't have power coming through the solenoid.
Should turning the key to accessory activate this solenoid?? And allow power to go to the accessory switched VEC?

I would appreciate any ideas on how to trouble shoot or fix this problem.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hax View Post
I have lost power to every thing on my center console that requires the key to be on. I have no power to the heater/AC panel, the overhead fans, the HWH panel or the Gen Slide switch. The radio, overhead lights, step cover, gen start all work.
I can't seem to find any loose wires that look like they haven't been loose for years.

I thought it might be the ignition switch, but it starts.

Are these inop systems powered through the accessory switched VEC

I metered the accessory solenoid, and I have power coming to the solenoid, but I don't have power coming through the solenoid.
Should turning the key to accessory activate this solenoid?? And allow power to go to the accessory switched VEC?

I would appreciate any ideas on how to trouble shoot or fix this problem.

Hax, WRV has a known problem with the wiring in the center console. Most of these problems have been related to the sliding tray and the wires being too short that they eventually break. This would affect the HWH and Gen Slide, not the fan switches or the heater/ A/C system. I would look for a broken ground for those systems.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

This only applies to 2003 an earlier non-Vansco module coaches.

HAX--think you are on the right track--there are two solenoids on the firewall in front of the passenger seat, under the dash. Believe one is accessory and the other is vehicle or ingnition on position. One of these solenoids could have gone bad or the "exciter" wire from the ignition is bad. Should be able to test the solenoids by jumping a 12v source over to one of the small terminals on the solenoids--believe its a 4-terminal solenoid so you will need to sort out which small terminal is the ground and which is the exciter [hot]....
PS--the ignition switch has multiple feeds off of it so engine may crank/start but feed to solenoid is bad...think both solenoids are activated when key is in the on position.....Many owners tend to hang stuff on their ignition key rings--the added weight can/will eventually mess-up the switch.....
PSS--both switch and solenoids are common auto parts--do a search on this forum for part numbers....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

I had to replace the accessory solenoid in my coach. Like Old Scout said - it's under the trim panel in front of the passenger seat. When mine was going out, I could get it to engage by tapping on it with a screwdriver with the key in the accessory position. You might want to try that.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
hax

Thanks for the advice guys. I jumped the solenoid and found out that it works(thanks old scout), which lead me back to the ignition switch. I found that the blade on the switch for the exciter wire was oxidized. I cleaned it up and now the system works, but I have ordered a new ignition switch from Terminals and Connectors. I tried to find a P/N for the solenoid, but so far nothing has come up. The number on the bottom of the solenoid is 545-4801 but I couldn't find a cross reference in my internet search. I would like to carry a spare solenoid. Koop if you can find the P/N for the solenoid I would appreciate it.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
Old 12-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

Two variables for solenoids:

Constant duty and proper/sufficient amp rating are critical.

Or, if you are looking for a "forever" "bomb-proof" alternative:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/901...12_24V_DC_250A

Rated for 450 amps continuous and 1 million cycles.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hax View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I jumped the solenoid and found out that it works(thanks old scout), which lead me back to the ignition switch. I found that the blade on the switch for the exciter wire was oxidized. I cleaned it up and now the system works, but I have ordered a new ignition switch from Terminals and Connectors. I tried to find a P/N for the solenoid, but so far nothing has come up. The number on the bottom of the solenoid is 545-4801 but I couldn't find a cross reference in my internet search. I would like to carry a spare solenoid. Koop if you can find the P/N for the solenoid I would appreciate it.
After trying a couple of solenoids sourced from NAPA which were of poor quality, I went with a Cole Hersee. I think the part number was 24059 - a continuos duty 12-volt unit. Here's a link.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
hax

Thanks Mike

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS

Tags
electrical, ems, problems