Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #1

Changing Hydraulic Filters - Step by step w/photos

Below is a link to a pdf showing how to change the hydraulic filters with step-by-step instructions and photos. Many Alpines use automatic transmission fluid not motor oil so be sure to refill with the correct fluid.
Hydraulic Oil and Filter Change

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Tom!

That's a great step-by-step explanation of how to change the filters. The photos make everything clear. Kudos to the author!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

Yesterday I changed the hydraulic filters and it was easy. I went to the hardware store and bought 7' of clear 5/8" tubing. I took an old coat hanger, straightened it out and zip tied one end of the clear tube to the hanger. This let me guide the hose down to the bottom of the tank. Next I started a sphion and in about 20 minutes the tank was empty.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #4

Does everyone (or anyone) keep to the recommended change interval for the hydraulic filters? Has anyone had trouble as a result of not keeping to the schedule? The change interval is every 10K mi. (for mine). Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #5

I am avg about 30k miles [which also works out to about once every three years] between changes on my 2003 which uses trans fluid. With over 100K on the coach, I havent seen any issues.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
In another post I asked the question about where the filters are. It never occurred to me they are inside the tank, so much for knowing anything at all about these things. I am coming up on the 3 year mark next spring, so that is when I will do it. I will just have to do it in the street out front of the house. The pictures make it seem harmless. In one procedure I have read, someone recommended disconnecting the hoses to the fans and letting them drain, is that really necessary? Are you getting enough of the bad/old oil out doing it this way?

Oh by the way, I highlighted all the text and pictures, and copied that information into a word document, so I will have it to print out when I actually do the work. I might print it out anyway, put it into document protectors and then put a copy in the coach, in case I need to have it done on the road. Great information!!

This has been one of the two maintenance operations I have been leery of doing because I am not knowledgeable about this system and the tyranny. The pictures make it look simple and any barnyard mechanic should be able to do it.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Great guide....I plan on doing this change on our HR in the next several weeks. It's amazing how simple many of these basic diesel engine maintanance items are if someone shows you how to do it.

Never would have figured this one out....Many thanks!
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you very much! This should be moved over to the Monaco site, because this is exactly the procedure to follow for Monaco coaches. Obviously, the same hydraulic suppliers were used for many brands of coaches.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
VERY nice write up and pictures Lindenberg. I haven't yet figured out how to post pictures on this forum but well done and easy to understand step-by-step instructions and pictures like yours are sure GREAT and make this forum the valuable resourse it is.

Not having an electric drill pump and wanting to get out as much of the old fluid as possible I just disconnected the hose fitting at the bottom of the reservoir tank (as seen in your pictures). This allowed me to drain all the reservoir and some of the hose and fan pump fluid.

I have no doubt your method is a lot CLEANER.

Harold
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #10

Another Good alternative to a drill pump is a 12v liguid pump I use one to drain and fill my Hydraulic reservoir and put engine oil in. 12 Volt Marine Utility Pump
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #11

Really like the idea of a drill pump or even a hand pump--cheap and basically disposable after a single use. I dislike disconnecting hydraulic hoses, if I have another option. Realize it is done all the time but the easiest way I know of to cause a hose to start leaking after the fact, is to disconnect it.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
10-4 on that, Scout!