Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Charge Air Cooler

Anybody have any ideas as to where I can get a recondistioned Air Charge Cooler for a 1999 36 SDS Alpine, 330 Cummins. Seal went bad in Turbo and the Air Charge Cooler is leaking. They tell me this is a custom unit due to the transmission cooler being attached as I understand it. Surely there was not a custom air charge cooler made for each model and engine. A company in Fort Wayne Indiana has the air cooler and they tell me it's a custom build and supposedly this is all they do and they do these for many companies around the US. I'm being quoted $2600 for just the air charge.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Engineer Mike, help this fellow, I don't have any knowledge on units that old. However, Burke Morgan bought a bunch of part when WRV went broke, he may have one that will fit your coach. Do a search for his contact information on this forum, his number is here someplace.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine Dave did considerable work on his Air Charge Cooler last winter. IIRC he had the oil cooler removed from the old CAC and put on the new one. A search on this forum will provide great info. Dave posted a number of pictures and did a very complete write-up. Best of luck.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Have you tried retorquing all those little screws to fix your leak
Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

The early Alpines did not have the screws to hold the tubes in place, they were welded. The welds on mine failed so that it would hold no air. I had the charge air cooler rebuilt/rewelded by a good radiator shop about 3 years ago and it has performed very well since then.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Burke Morgan can be reached at: 509-961-0996. He might have a new one, or MAC's Radiators in Portland, OR has an excellent reputation on fixing/building new ones.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Give these guys a call:

http://bricethomasradiator.com/shop/...ors/motorhome/

They build radiators and CACs and have a great reputation.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

We were traveling to the Phoenix area to have a little back surgery done when all the sudden our turbo blew up and filled the c-a-c full of oil and it split open in an area that the cummins tech said can't be repaired.So here we sit in Redding cal. waiting for a new c-a-c. This is the first time in 9 years of owning Alpine coaches we broke down. We made it to Cummins West in Redding and they say the bill will be about $5000 for the repair.We have 74,000 miles on this unit now. Hopefully we can get going by Wednesday next week.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Search this forum for Burke Morgan, his phone number is one of them for sure, he still might have some CAC's left from the WRV auction. He will be cheaper than Cummins most likely, then all it is, is labor plus the price of the turbo.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

I spoke to Burke a few weeks ago and he didn't have any. Your $5000 bill is pretty close. The CAC is the expensive part.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Looks like the guys at Cummins-West here in Redding Cal. have it pretty much under control. If I had not been burdened with this bad back problem, I would have found the problem and replaced it at home, but that didn't happen so thank goodness for these guys.They are doing a great job.Everything nowadays is expensive.
I modified our coach before my back got too bad, installed a theater with 90" screen and added 3 120watt electric tilt solar panels .we also have HD tv with a sat and internet anywhere with a sat. We upgraded our TV's and added a 40" all Sony We also have surround sound in the bedroom as well as the main livingroom.
Thank you to everyone who made suggestions for help. About my back , I went to the Mao clinic last winter and they said they could not help me, so now I am going to the Core Institute. Maybe they can help. Ky and Char Shelton