Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #15

I have a Silverleaf and have always seen low numbers and I am reporting the 7MPG as reported by the Silverleaf as of day 1. I believe mine is the 1st Alpine with the Silverleaf CL400 installed in the dash. I installed mine just after taking delivery after hearing WRV was looking at putting them in the 06 models.

I do most of my driving pulling a 24 foot enclosed trailer with my Tundra and Harley inside, along with more junk, that I cant live with out. I have toed 4 down many times and some legs of my trip may see 8+ for a tank but by the end of the trip I am usually at 7-7.2 for the whole trip.

I might need to look into a CAC leak down test.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #16

Thanks for all the performance comparisons. It would appear that my numbers are pretty much in the ball park even with the near maximum CAC leak.

Monty, the mileage we’ve been getting is based on the Silverleaf “Trip” function, keeping one page zeroed at fuel stops and another for the overall trip. We’re always towing the ’08 Liberty that comes in at about 4900#, and the Alpine with 18,000 miles is about 31,000# with full fuel and all other tanks near the level. We travel exclusively in the west and rarely are out of mountainous conditions. On relatively straight and level Interstates, at 65 mph, we see around 8.5-8.7 mpg. Of course, that average really decreases if there are any substantial length grades with the 6% Interstate maximum; then the overall leg average is probably more like 7.3-7.5 mpg. With secondary highway travel, average speeds are more in the 50-60 mph range. Then a combination of level and the associated grades from 5-8%, produce somewhere around 6.8-7.3 mpg, if we’re lucky.

As I mentioned, when we get back to San Diego I’m going to drop the coach off with the Cummins Cal Pacific folks to do another CAC leak-down check and also have them put it on their dynamometer to really get an idea what’s happening power wise. I would really like to see some of those 9 mpg numbers that some of you have mentioned.

It would be fun to share a cup of coffee with you Monty, but unfortunately we’re way down south in that little border town “Tijuana-North,” also known as San Diego. If you are going to the Salem rally in August we should try to get together.

Again, a big thank you to all of you great folks for sharing your performance data, those numbers really do help.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #17

Trivia--if your older coach came with 295R75 tires and you have since changed over to 295R80s [ie Goodyear G670s], your speed and distance will be off by about 5%. This is unless you had yr ECM updated to reflect the slightly larger circumference of the R80 profile. Not sure how Silver Leaf accommodates this but yr std MPG calc [miles/gal] has to be adjusted.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #18

Hmm good point. So now Iam up to 7.35 MPG for the last 24,000 miles.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Today, we brought home the MH to do some maintenance and work on it. Averaged around 9 MPG (silverleaf computer) all the way for the roundtrip. It's significantly higher when we are not towing the jeep.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #20

Wayne- that 24 feet trailer might be trimming a bit off mileage.
At 31k plus 3.8k toad we have been getting 8 overall; I don't spend much time in the high 60's, mostly low 60's and high 50's. Pretty sure the CAC is still good, but haven't checked.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #21

I know and I am usually 70-75 MPH
Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
All, first I try not to go over 65 mph, when driving the beasty. I know the HH steals some mileage from me but it's not that much overall. The specs are around .5 gal/hr if it runs continuous, and since it does not, it's hard to figure out the difference. The biggest user of fuel is the toad. I use the mileage trip figure from the S/L computer, but we keep a written log, and I transfer that to a excel spreadsheet periodically.

In checking my Excel sheet, my average overall since taking delivery is 7.04. So maybe the HH has a bigger pull on that number than I realized.

I will come down to the Salem Rally, but according to my information, I might not be allowed in, and cannot attend the "Tech Day" because I am not staying at the rally site, nor able to attend for the 5 days. Our schedule has another commitment on the 8th. I don't know maybe I'll suggest we meet for coffee someplace close so I can meet all.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout:

The Silverleaf has the ability to adjust for tire size AND an offset to put in the mileage when you changed to the new tire size. That offset will correct the average mileage for the life of the coach. In the Menu go to Advanced>Engine Corrections.

I recall this discussion last year, but there were several figures bantered about as to the tire size adjustment, which is a multiplier (percentage). I, too would like to have the correct number, but have not measured the exact rolled distance of one tire versus the other (old one discarded). I know it can be calculated based on the tire manufacturer's "measurements", but are they accurate?

We need a Theoretical Engineer's and and Empirical Engineer's opinion. It will save me blowing through a few more brain cells to measure and then calculate myself.