Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

We'll be at DRR with the same issue. Hoping to get some answers that may help everyone with this issue.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #16

Todd,

It looks to me like you've been dealing with this issue for several months. I just started having the problem.

I've searched here on the forum and also have seen posts on other forums regarding the Trombetta, or is that the Troubletta? This issue seems to be more common than I originally thought and is by no means exclusive to Alpine. I've seen posts of the solenoid being replaced 3 or 4 times. Sounds like there should be something better out there.

I haven't disconnected my solenoid yet and run the closing and continuity checks but that is on my list for today.

If mine proves to be bad, or heading in that direction, I am thinking I will take Brett's suggestion of changing to the Blue Sea Solenoid, old post under Big Boy Solenoid. The price difference is significant, but it would be worth it if it does the trick. To me it doesn't make sense carrying a spare for a probable failure if there is a better part out there.

Thoughts??

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #17

I am very interested in your post. I don't know if this is a concern or not. I didn't see the coil resistance for the Blue Sea solenoid on the spec sheet but is says when changing state the operating current is 3.6 amps. The Trombetta coil takes 1.75 amps at 12v to change state. I wonder what Vansco output 19 is capable of.

I just happen to have a Trombetta in my hand. I connected it to a power supply and as I turn up the voltage from zero it changes state at 5.7 volts and .75 amps (solenoid cold). They spec the pull in voltage at 7.5 volts.

I am not electrically savvy so if so wants to chime in I would appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #18

Rick, Todd and All,

I just yanked my solenoid out and it's not a Trombetta or a Blue Sea or a Big Boy. I think it's some POS from a parts store, maybe a Sissy Boy.

I did some tinkering before I removed it and it was running very hot to the touch when closed. I did some bench testing on it with a small 12v source and found the ohm reading between the contacts are all over the scale. I don't have an analog meter so it was all with a digital. The more times the contacts closed the higher the resistance and the higher the temp especially when it was still mounted, maybe because of the availability of more current.

Now I'm left with buying a Trombetta or the Blue Sea. My first thought is Blue Sea if it will work like the Trombetta and hopefully be a one time purchase. Maybe Brett will have some input, he seems to have firsthand knowledge. I am curious about the Vansco's ability to handle a little extra load.

Rick,

I am curious about my interpretation of pull in voltage, I'm by no means an engineer or even a smart guy, but wouldn't your finding suggest that the solenoid would want to stay closed all of the time? I'm just throwing things out here. I had 12-13 volts on the small hot post, so would that want to keep the contacts closed?? Does that voltage only show up when the Vansco calls for it?

One bit of good news is that the solenoid is bolted to the bottom/floor of the black cabinet with two studs so it is a piece of cake to remove. It seems too simple based on the posts I've read.

Call me confused, Terry
Old 01-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #19

Terry

I am a layman also. The pull in voltage is the voltage at the coil (the small lugs that Vansco powers) required to pull in the contacts and allow power to flow between the large posts (the ones that connect your battery banks together). Trombetta specs this voltage at 7 volts. In my test I measured 5.7 volts but that voltage would be higher if the solenoid was hot.

I am a relatively new Alpine owner. I had the same problem when I bought my coach. The first couple of months I owned the coach I replaced the batteries, inverter/charger and solenoid. The charging system has been working perfectly. I have shore power plugged in continuously and I have voltage meters in the battery bay so I can easily see what's going on. I have not yet had to add water to my batteries. Every time I go into the garage both house and chassis batteries are between 13.2 and 12.6 volts depending on what state my charger and Vansco are in.

Now the question is how long will this continue. I do carry a spare Trombetta. When will I need it. Who know's. If I were you since you did not have a Trombetta in there to begin with that is the one I would use. I also hope someone adds a few words of wisdom here.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Our coach has 2013 batteries, the Trombetta was replaced last year. A tech at Trombetta.com confirms "at least 7.5 volts and 1 amp to energize the coil".

Our coach also has the Blue Sea battery disconnects and keyed combiner switch between the house and chassis disconnects.

Electrical novice here too.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #21

After I got to thinking about everything Rick said it finally dawned on me. The solenoid isn't going to see any voltage until the Vansco calls for it, DUH!!!!

I just finished ordering mine, decided to go with the Trombetta, we'll see. I ordered two just to have a spare. The way mine is mounted it is so easy to change that it wouldn't be a problem at a campground. About time something has an "EASY" button.

Hopefully that thing will be here in a couple days, Friday I think, and I'll get it back together and give it the "smoke test"!! I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks for the help, Terry
Old 01-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #22

There have been prior posts and discussions about the Trombetta clicking on and off, when not connected to a charging source. Any Solenoid is going to wear out faster with contacts constantly opening and closing.

All I did was put in a disconnect switch on the small wire on the Trombetta. Installed the switch inside above the washer. Put note on the dash reminding me it is off. I just leave it off if I am not charging from any source. Works fine for me with no constant clicking of the solenoid.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #23

Finally got my solenoid replaced, I went back with a Trombetta. Murcal was stock out so it took a week and a half to get the solenoid. Cost was $45 so I bought 2, you never have another problem if you have a spare with you.

The new one mounted differently than the one that was in there. The old one was mounted on two studs sticking up from the bottom of the fuse box on the back wall, very convenient for replacement.

The new solenoid wouldn't fit flat on the bottom, the solenoid was too long and it hit the box cover. I mounted two L brackets on the studs and mounted the solenoid vertically on the L brackets.

Still a very simple install and can be changed out in 30 mins.

I will try it out this week end, hopefully all will be well.

I do have a question on the battery boost switch. Is it hard wired to the solenoid or does it close a relay somewhere that in turn operates the solenoid when the boost switch is closed? Just curious.

Thanks, Terry
Old 02-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #24

Terry I don't know the answer to your question but what if you had someone operate the switch and then see if output 19 is lighting when the switch is activated. Of course output 19 would have to be off before you tried this.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
I put one of these on my 2005 Alpine Coach. Now when the coach is on shore power the engine (chassis) battery receives a small charge. I have had no more problems since I install this. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra...-p/tls-oem.htm
There is also a 15 amp one avaiable online.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, chassis