Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Charging Chassis Batts

My chassis batts ran down camping last week and they are very low again after being plugged in for 6 days at home. Should they charge off of the inverter or only with the alternator? I have a battery charger on them now.

I have 13.5v on house batts and 11.5v on chassis batts.

Also when parked at a site for several days should I open the chassis batts disconnect?

Thanks

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My 06 Safari 40 DP chassis batts do not charge off the shore, only the house batts, but I've heard on this forum of some who say their chassis batts do charge off the shore power. But they should hold enough charge to start your main engine for weeks or more. If they went low after a few days of being fully charged, you got a drain somewhere, could be the batts themselves. So, I'd disconnect the batts by removing the ground, fully charge them and if they go dead with no other drain, it's the batts. Which one?? If they are the same age, like older than 4 years, maybe throw them both away and start with fresh.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Your 05 charging system is controlled by Vansco Comm/power modules and a large solenoid in your bat compartment. There have been many reports over the years about Vansco equipped coaches and battery charging. While on shorepower or genset power, your inverter will charge your house bats and the Vansco/solenoid will sense the difference and connect your chassis bats for charging. Could be Vansco comm issue [light #19], but more likely your solenoid has gone bad. You can research this issue on the forum--there are several hours of comment and advice.
PS--even with the chassis bat main switch off, you still have many phantom draws on the coach that dont go thru the switch. If this drain is a new issue, you might need to start looking for draws/shorts.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Before doing anything apply Alpine Coach Troubleshooting Rule #1 - when in doubt reboot the Vansco (turn off BOTH battery cutoff switches for 33 seconds, not an hour less &#128123 then recheck. If this clears the problem send DrDaveMA a winning Powerball ticket BEFORE 9 PM eastern) if it fails to correct go to another step.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My 06 Safari 40 DP chassis batts do not charge off the shore, only the house batts, but I've heard on this forum of some who say their chassis batts do charge off the shore power. But they should hold enough charge to start your main engine for weeks or more. If they went low after a few days of being fully charged, you got a drain somewhere, could be the batts themselves. So, I'd disconnect the batts by removing the ground, fully charge them and if they go dead with no other drain, it's the batts. Which one?? If they are the same age, like older than 4 years, maybe throw them both away and start with fresh.
My daughter has an 05 Safari 36' with the same problem and they installed this, problem solved.
AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
My coach had an echo charger that went bad so I installed the Magnum Combiner, works great.
Magnum Me SBC Smart Battery Combiner | eBay
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Charging Chassis Batts

Terry, as Old Scout says above, your coach is supposed to charge BOTH the chassis and the house batteries, when things are working right you do not need to add additional hardware. The folks above mean well but do not know Alpines, so be careful what advice you follow, WRV did things differently and Alpine owners know those nuisances, advice from owners of Some Other Brand should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout is right on. If DrDave's suggestion didn't work the the Trombetta 114 1211-020 (soleniod) is probably the fault. With the shore on and house batteries charging, carefully tap the soleniod with a hammer or wrench and see if the chasiss batts start to charge. Sometimes this willl give you temporary fix and you know for sure it needs to be changed. There are lots of posts on this DC contacting solenoid, on how to do proper dianostics.
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Also check "Big Boy Solenoid" thread below.
Anchorage, AK
Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

I think I've read all of the posts the charging and solenoids and the Big Boy Solenoid. I'm thinking I've got a bad solenoid. When my batts were low I had a 2+ volt difference, 13.5v - 11.5v, at the posts on the solenoid.

My understanding is that the shore power and gen charge the house batts and when they reach full charge the Vansco sees the difference in house and chassis charge level and tells the solenoid to close and charge the chassis batts up to full. Correct?!?!

I am thinking at full charge the solenoid is told to open to prevent over charge or maybe both batt sets are maintained through some type of regulation. I'm thinking and guessing here, trying to understand.

At the moment I am thinking I'd like to force the solenoid to close, if it will, and see if the voltage changes on the chassis side of the solenoid. The solenoid has a couple of posts which I'm guessing are the input for the close signal for lack of a better term. One post is hot and the other appears to be a ground. I have batt volts across the two posts and the neg post is grounded, shows very low resistance to ground.

I figure if I can somehow tell the solenoid to close I will know it's belly up if it doesn't. Can I force it closed with jumpers while it's hooked up or do I have to isolate it. I'm also thinking the batt booster switch on the dash should close the solenoid to tie the banks together. This would also prove the switch is working. No helper so I'll have to tape it closed or something.

Am I on the right track here or way off base???

Thanks, Terry
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

Operation for 2008 Alpine

Hello Terry, I believe my 2008 battery system is operating as designed and have noted how mine is working. I hope this will help you. Let me say this first, batteries do weird things when their life nears the end. My system will charge both house and chassis batteries when output #19 on the rear Vansco module is energized(light on). I have checked the voltage with a digital voltmeter and it will be approx. 14vdc. If I turn off the the charger and let the battery voltage drop down the Big Boy solenoid, as you call it ,will start dropping out (de-energizing) below 13vdc. It may cycle several times and when the voltage gets to 12.5 vdc it will stay de-energized. Output #19 will be off and the the chassis battery will be isolated from the house batteries. This action is done to keep the chassis (starting) batteries from becoming discharged and prevent the coach from starting. Think about camping somewhere alone you want to be able to start the engine. I hope this helps.

QUOTE=Terry W;2896753]I think I've read all of the posts the charging and solenoids and the Big Boy Solenoid. I'm thinking I've got a bad solenoid. When my batts were low I had a 2+ volt difference, 13.5v - 11.5v, at the posts on the solenoid.

My understanding is that the shore power and gen charge the house batts and when they reach full charge the Vansco sees the difference in house and chassis charge level and tells the solenoid to close and charge the chassis batts up to full. Correct?!?!

I am thinking at full charge the solenoid is told to open to prevent over charge or maybe both batt sets are maintained through some type of regulation. I'm thinking and guessing here, trying to understand.

At the moment I am thinking I'd like to force the solenoid to close, if it will, and see if the voltage changes on the chassis side of the solenoid. The solenoid has a couple of posts which I'm guessing are the input for the close signal for lack of a better term. One post is hot and the other appears to be a ground. I have batt volts across the two posts and the neg post is grounded, shows very low resistance to ground.

I figure if I can somehow tell the solenoid to close I will know it's belly up if it doesn't. Can I force it closed with jumpers while it's hooked up or do I have to isolate it. I'm also thinking the batt booster switch on the dash should close the solenoid to tie the banks together. This would also prove the switch is working. No helper so I'll have to tape it closed or something.

Am I on the right track here or way off base???

Thanks, Terry[/QUOTE]
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #11

Thanks for the help, I believe my system is working except for the solenoid. My goal now is to test it somehow to see if it is closing like it should. My batteries are all about 8 months old.

I am hoping I can test the solenoid by forcing it to open or close. If it's bad then I have found my problem and will replace it and see about rebuilding the old one as an emergency back up.

I may have to remove it and bench test it and if I go to the trouble of removing it I'll replace even if it's good.

Thanks again, Terry
Old 01-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #12

If decide you want replace the solenoid, you might want to check out Murcal. They carry the Trombetta, that fits Alpine's.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, I was serious about tapping the Solenoid with wrench or hammer. When mine was acting up before I changed it out, a little tap on the side of the solenoid would get it to close. The contacts are probably burned and need a little mechanical jarring help to close. (temporary measure but it worked until I got a replacement from Murcal)

Changing that thing out is a real challenge. Those two bolts holding it to the black metal panel have nuts on the back side and there is only about 1/2 space behind it. If you are going to The Desert Rat Rally I'll show you how I did it without removing the whole panel.
Anchorage, AK
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #14

Thanks Tom,

I have whacked it a few times without any success. I'll try it again. but I'm a little tentative, I tend to overdo at times.

As far as changing it out I'll also take a look at the way it's mounted. It always amazes me that manufacturers in general will build like the part will never have to be replaced.

I took a breather yesterday, sometimes you have to walk away, but I'll get back at it today.

We won't be at the Desert Rat Rally, we do hope to make it to one of the gatherings in the near future. We made it to one in Valencia before we bought our Alpine. We met some nice people, looked at a couple floor plans and picked up some Alpine info. It was kind of like going to a cruise night, but with MHs instead of cars.

Thanks again, Terry

Tags
charging, chassis