Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Chassis batteries

Can someone tell me what the replacement is for my chassis batteries on my 2006 Alpine. I would like to try interstate's but was just wondering what others have used.

Thanks, Kent

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #2

Group 31 are the chassis batteries.
As far as the brand, I buy a local brand (Columbia) thats only available in Portland OR, that won't do you much good. In my opinion Interstates are ok. If want to compare batteries look at CCA (cold crank amps), the more the better.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I'm currently using two Interstate Group 31, #31-MHD Workaholic, chassis batteries in my '08 Alpine (36 FDDS), 950 CCA per battery with an 18/36 month Free/Prorated warranty (weight 60 pounds; dimensions 13 inches long, 6&3/4" wide, 9&3/8" high). I've used Interstate batteries with good performance for the past 12 years, using a single Interstate 8D Workaholic as a chassis battery in my former 1998 Alpine 36' (FDSS). The 8D was a 132 pound, 12-volt, 1400 CCA battery (20.75 inches long, 11" wide, 9.63" high). I agree with Kraig that the maximum CCA Group 31 battery is best. I believe the #31-MHD (950 CCA) is the highest CCA-rated Group 31 battery Interstate makes. ray
robbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig View Post
Group 31 are the chassis batteries.
As far as the brand, I buy a local brand (Columbia) thats only available in Portland OR, that won't do you much good. In my opinion Interstates are ok. If want to compare batteries look at CCA (cold crank amps), the more the better.
The Blue Top Optima 31M batteries have a very high CCA: 1125. They claim to have a long life but are quite pricey. Cheapest internet price, delivered, is about $240 each. Ouch! The Blue Tops are also considered deep cycle, which helps if you are running accesseries off the chassis batteries. I believe Costco also sells Optima.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyray View Post
I'm currently using two Interstate Group 31, #31-MHD Workaholic, chassis batteries in my '08 Alpine (36 FDDS), 950 CCA per battery with an 18/36 month Free/Prorated warranty (weight 60 pounds; dimensions 13 inches long, 6&3/4" wide, 9&3/8" high). I've used Interstate batteries with good performance for the past 12 years, using a single Interstate 8D Workaholic as a chassis battery in my former 1998 Alpine 36' (FDSS). The 8D was a 132 pound, 12-volt, 1400 CCA battery (20.75 inches long, 11" wide, 9.63" high). I agree with Kraig that the maximum CCA Group 31 battery is best. I believe the #31-MHD (950 CCA) is the highest CCA-rated Group 31 battery Interstate makes. ray
132# battery,who lifts it up to put it in?Boy thats heavy!!
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
On my 06 Apex the Interstate battery cases started swell in March 08 and I replaced them with AGM Batteries from www.lifelinebatteries.com I also replaced the house battries with AGM's. No more water to fill and no more gasing or corrosion. They are a little more expensive but worth it.

2006 Alpine Apex 40' MDTS
Coin-Op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Tom, AGM batteries are nice and if you get good performance out of the AGM's used as coach batteries, I will consider using them when I replace my Interstate 6 volts. In the meantime, I put the latest and best automatic water fill system made by www.BatteryFillingSystems.com. Seems like the 24 cell system (24 cell filler kit including tygon tubing was about $125 for eight six-volt batteries (24 cells). It takes all the hassle out of watering lead-acid batteries. Worked so well, I added the same thing to my six 8-volt Trojan golf cart batteries (again 24 cells but with different spacing between cells). Made my own distilled water reservoir tank out of an old plastic, wide-mouth jug. Now, I just turn a little plastic valve I got at Lowe's when my batteries are fully charged and it fills each cell atomatically to the right level and shuts off when all cells are filled to the right level. Takes about 5 minutes total to fill all cells. I then tun the valve off until a few weeks later when I need to add more distilled water again. For those who like dry camping or use their coach batteries a lot, this is not as nice as AGM's but a lot better than manually filling each cell in lead acid batteries all the time. ray

If anyone is interested in this approach, Debbie (admin) and Tyler Owen (technical) were great to work with:
Debbie Finerman
BatteryFilling Systems
6645 Holder Road
Clemmons NC 27012
ph# 336-714-0448
fax# 336-714-0449
robbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Let see, Interstate starting batteries are 12V ones, hooked up so you get 24V to start the coach.

If you pay more than 100 each you are paying to much. I like to stay with what is in the coach now, and I priced the replacement Powervolt GC deepcycle and was quoted 95.95 each. Next year hopefully I can afford to do those.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe the two twelve volt starting batteries are connected in parallel to provide twelve volts to the engine starter. The six volt coach batteries are paired in series to provide twelve volts and then paralleled with the rest of the paired sixes so the coach also gets twelve volts.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I believe if you check, you will find that the supplied voltage to the starter motor is 24V DC. It's achieved by hooking up 2 12V batteries in series which equates to 24 V. My cummins engine would not even squeek if all the starter had was 12V, there is a whole lot of compression to overcome in that engine to get it to start.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #11

Maybe yr 2007 is wired in series [24Vs] but [24Vs] mosts Alpines Ive seen are wired in parallel to produce 12Vs. If yr 2007 is not in parallel, where do you get yr 12v source for the rest of the chassis?

Also curious why a deep-cycle bat as a starting bat? Assume "GC" stands for golf cart application--other than being 12V vs the preferred 6V config, they sound more like a house bat solution--IMO.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
According to the 2003 schematic, the 2 - 12V "chassis" batteries are connected in parallel thus providing 12 total volts to the engine. You're right that the high compression of a diesel engine requires more from the starter motor than a gas engine but 12V can be sufficient. I believe that 2 - 12V batteries are employed to make sure that adequate amperage exists to make up for not having 24V to drive the starter motor.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, I will check, because the 8.9L engine is lots bigger than my ford 7.3L diesel and it had 24V starting. At least I am pretty sure it did. I know I had two big batteries for that service.

My Alpine uses a differnt battery for the house than the coach, and I don't remember what the model number for the starting batteries is. Next time I go up to the coach, I will take a picture, and also check the brake button operation.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Monty:
CCA
Your Ford 7.3 liter diesel uses/used two 12 volt batteries. That engine was known to require 850 CCA minimum, quite commonly using a second battery for HD usage. Low voltage issues with high amp requirements cause(d) the starters to overheat. It uses Group Size 65 Fitment 4 batteries.

Your Alpine came with two Group 12 Interstate 925 CCA maintenance-free starting batteries.