Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #1

Hey Guys,
Puzzled! I put in a new chassis battery in September- Replaced old Champion 1560 with Interstate 8D. The battery indicated that it was maintenance free, and I was puzzled, because it had the same 6 battery caps as the previous battery. Well, I assumed (Yeah, I know the definition of a-s-s-u-m-e) that the battery was sealed and was INDEED maintenance free. Well, after a 3 week trip to Canada, we put the RV into storage with shore power connected, and whenI went 2 weeks ago to start the generator and run it an hour or two and perform a few other maintenance tasks, and lo and behold, the chassis battery was dead. Because I have a 1999 FDS, there is no boost, so I jumped the chassis battery off the house batteries. No problem....let it run for awhile to charge. Checked the water level and it was seriously low. Filled w distilled h2o and again put it into storage with shore power attached. Today, you guessed it; no charge to chassis battery again. What's my problem this time?

Thanks in advance for help/suggestions!

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #2

Hey Guys,
Puzzled! I put in a new chassis battery in September- Replaced old Champion 1560 with Interstate 8D. The battery indicated that it was maintenance free, and I was puzzled, because it had the same 6 battery caps as the previous battery. Well, I assumed (Yeah, I know the definition of a-s-s-u-m-e) that the battery was sealed and was INDEED maintenance free. Well, after a 3 week trip to Canada, we put the RV into storage with shore power connected, and whenI went 2 weeks ago to start the generator and run it an hour or two and perform a few other maintenance tasks, and lo and behold, the chassis battery was dead. Because I have a 1999 FDS, there is no boost, so I jumped the chassis battery off the house batteries. No problem....let it run for awhile to charge. Checked the water level and it was seriously low. Filled w distilled h2o and again put it into storage with shore power attached. Today, you guessed it; no charge to chassis battery again. What's my problem this time?

Thanks in advance for help/suggestions!

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #3

Hello John,

I'm not sure about the 1999 Alpines but newer rigs have an echo charger that will keep the chassis batteries charged when the house batts come to FLOAT. If you do not have an echo, they are inexpensive and easy to install.

sdcyclist
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #4

How long was it in storage? If it boiled down & continued to try & charge for a long time, you may have killed the battery. The lower the electrolyte below the top of lead plates the higher chance of permanent damage to the battery if left that way over time.

This is a perfect battery type for HydroCaps that remake the off-gas back into H2O so you lose almost no water.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #5

When my chassis batteries died, I discovered, through Mark Harrah, that there's a solenoid switch that connects the two battery sets together. It only closes to charge the chassis batteries when the voltage on the house batteries is above a certain point. However, in my case, the solenoid failed and simply needed to be replaced.
Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Cajun:

There are endless threads on this topic (charging) and related ones (caps, fillers, routines). Do a FIND and you'll find out more than you probably want. Once you understand how your particular charging system works, you will easily troubleshoot it. There is great input from many folks here. It sure helped me.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #7

John,
I guess you have the same set-up I have. The inverter/charger only charges the house battery. I added the echo-charger recently which now puts some of the charge current into the chassis battery. Some early coaches were fitted with the echo-charger but were wired incorrectly by WRV and were not charging the chassis battery as intended. If you do have one fitted check the wiring.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote