Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #1

Chassis fuse panel

05 Alpine 34fd. Cannot find the chassis fuse panel. Looking for fuse that controls eng service bay trouble light and auto battery filler. Looked everywhere and cannot find common fuses for coach lights, wipers, etc. Owners manual references it but doesn't say where it is. Any help appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #2

There is a panel directly in front of the passenger seat that can be pulled out. Everything is behind that panel. On mine there is a small strap on the left side to pull it out, but the design does change from year to year.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #3

The '05's and later had the Vansco multiplex and electronic fuse system. There is a small fuse panel in the battery compartment which may fuse these items. If you cannot find a fuse, switch off the chassis power disconnect for about 30 sec and then back on. This seems to solve many problems.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

Wil, I knew they made that change but wasn't sure what year it happened. What's behind that front panel in your coach?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Behind panel is the aforementioned Vanesco Multiplex and diagnostic ports plus some buss bars and other electrical connections, not a fuse in sight. On another subject, will switching the Chasis disconnect in battery compartment prevent draining of start batteries when dry camping?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

Depends if anything is connected directly to the battery that bypasses the switch. Do you have a solar panel that keeps the chassis battery topped up?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

Nite-

Your chassis "fuses" are mostly contained in self-resetting breakers in the Vansco VMM modules. On the back of the plastic kick panel in front of passenger's feet you may find a schematic showing the LED indicator meanings. In the ACA Tech Library under Chassis you'll find 5 files near the bottom that deal w/Vansco VMMs; your VMM logic is likely the same as the Apex schematic there.

There may be parasitic loads that would still drain the chassis batteries over time w/the disconnect OFF. You can check it w/an amp meter on the negative, but you have to disconnect the House negative from the joined House/Chassis so you are reading only chassis parasitic loads as there may be House parasitic loads also draining thru the neg cable.

The start batteries should be good for several days dry camping; if you run your gen & the charger is ON you should be connecting the House to the Chassis (with LED# 19 on the rear Vansco lit it turns ON the connecting solenoid to join House to Chassis) once House voltage gets up to ~13V. If that isn't happening (the charge solenoid is inside the black box on back wall of the battery compartment), then the solenoid contacts are likely worn out due to arcing over time & the solenoid needs replacing.
You can "search" on this forum for LED 19 or charge solenoid and you'll get a number of long discussions on the theory & reality of operation.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #8

Yes I do have a solar panel on top but can't honestly tell you how it is wired. The brochures that came with the coach lead me to believe it is direct wired to the start batteries but to be honest I don't know. I am trying to figure out how to test it's output and how it feeds into the batteries. Any experience with this?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

I do not have a solar panel so can't help there. My chassis battery will start the engine after 2 months without charging and NOT using the disconnect switch if that helps.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
My '05 has a fuse panel in the box on the wall behind the batteries. In that box is the fuse that connects the small solar panel to the engine battery, as well as several other fuses for things that are not on the vansco. There should be a nearby diagram of what the fuses are for; if not,let me know and I'll take a photo of mine.
By the way, visually check the solar panel. Mine and other's became covered with a tar like substance with time and quit working, Also as Mike mentioned there are listings of what the vansco controls on the ACA website. Good luck.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #11

Hi Mike…It's been quite some time since I had to ask for your help, but I need you to clarify something for me. Our 2004 Alpine 36MDDS has a battery disconnect switch in the battery compartment and one inside the coach on the right side wall of the step entry. I've always assumed (uh-oh) that the inside switch was for the house batteries and the outside switch for the chassis batteries. Here are my questions:

1. Is my assumption about the purpose of the switches correct?
2. What exactly does the switch in the battery compartment switch off? It appears it is not a total battery shut-off switch as something is draining our batteries within three weeks of non-use. (I notice I can power up the refrigerator with both switches in the off position.)
3. If the outside switch does not totally disconnect the chassis battery, would you recommend installing another disconnect switch somewhere? Where? Are you aware of anyone who has done this?
SusieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #12

Susie- 1. Yes.
2. Everything except what is direct connected to the batteries before the switch. My 06 had~1.6A drain all the time unless I disconnected the negative cable from the batts.
3. See #2 above about disconnecting the batt negative; you would have to accomplish that. Don't know anybody who has done that w/a switch, those who try just disconnect the cable
Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #13

Thanks Mike. Of course now I have more questions:

1. Why the negative and not the positive?
2. Did you ever figure out what was causing the drain on your '06?

Susie
SusieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #14

1. Safety
2. Nope. Never looked

Tags
fuse, chassis