Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #1

We left on our first trip after having the engine oil and fuel filter changed and the transmission filters replaced (2005 40' FDTS).

Going up the grade on the I15 out of the LA area
towards Barstow, the "Check Engine" light would come on whenever the trsmission downshifted. It would only stay on about 5-10 seconds.

This happened quite a few times on the way out to the desert, but only once coming home.

Might there have been air in either the engine oil, fuel or transmission systems that would activate the light?

This is our latest mystery. There is always something new.

Thanks in Advance,

Ted

2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #2

We left on our first trip after having the engine oil and fuel filter changed and the transmission filters replaced (2005 40' FDTS).

Going up the grade on the I15 out of the LA area
towards Barstow, the "Check Engine" light would come on whenever the trsmission downshifted. It would only stay on about 5-10 seconds.

This happened quite a few times on the way out to the desert, but only once coming home.

Might there have been air in either the engine oil, fuel or transmission systems that would activate the light?

This is our latest mystery. There is always something new.

Thanks in Advance,

Ted

2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
Old 03-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Ted:

Sorry to hear about the problem. I would suggest that you take the coach into a Cummins Dealer and have the run a diagnostic check (Warranty) because the codes are stored into the engine computer. They should be able to repair the problem or tell you why the Check engine light was coming on. I could something as simple as a loose battery cable.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:03 AM   #4

I had a very similar experience with my 2005 40FDQS. After service the engine service light came on and the engine cut power momentarily. This happened 3 times about 400 miles from service while climbing the pass in southern Oregon. I have a Silverleaf monitor and I got a high fuel pressure fault. Took it to Cummins Coach Care and the engine side was fine. Haven't had any engine codes since, but do get a data error fault regularly. They said the problem was on the coach side and they would have to order parts. So I opted to take it as is since I was under a time constraint. I do plan on working with the factory on the problem. I suspect air in the fuel system, the mechanic was whining about how hard the filter was to change. Let me know what you find out and I will do like wise.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
JHS

Similar problem. Had the diagnostic run at Cummings. First problem was a bad part in the turbo charger and they chose to replace the turbo charger because we only had 8000 miles at time. Also check the antifreeze level. The check engine light comes on as a warning and then a specific light will come on if it is a major problem so we were told.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #6

Thank you for all of your ideas and suggestion. As it turns out, the chassis diagnostics check showed a battery fault, and the battery isolator/boost solonoid is bad, which makes some sense now, considering another problem I had, but did not share, in my original post.

On our last trip, after getting the "check engine" lights during a 5 hour trip, we were in an RV park, plugged in, for four nights. The morning we were to leave, I turned the key to await the start and the dashboard came alive as normal. When I turned the key to the start position, all went blank and nothing happened. My initial thought was that I had blown a fuse.

As it turns out, the chassis batteries were dead (<6V). We stayed another two days with a portable charger on the chassis batteries and had an uneventful trip home. I am now awaiting a new battery isolator.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
Old 04-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #7

When we left Quartsite the eng maint lite came on stayed on till engine shut down. Next startup no lite. The lite came on at times until we got back to ABQ. Took coach to cummings and they replaced the fuel transfer pump ok since. Cummins tech stated that the engine would shut itself down before engine damage occurred.