Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #29

RICK
DOES THE HANDLE CLOSE ALL THE WAY. IF NOT YOU MAY HAVE A SMALL PIECE OF PLASTIC FROM WHEN THE HOLES WERE MADE IN THE TANK. THIS MAY HAVE CAUGHT IN THE VALVE, PREVENTING IT FROM CLOSING COMPLETELY.
AFTER THE TANK DRAINS YOU MAY BE ABLE TO LOOK UP FROM UNDER THE COACH THROUGH THE PIPE WHENE THE VALVE IS. IF SOMETHING IS CAUGHT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DISLODGE IS WITHOUT TO MUCH DISMANTLING.

SANDY AND DEBI
2001 34FDDS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #30

Rick......Look into storage area where "T" handle is.....on same wall there is carpeted panel. Remove 4 sheet metal screws from panel and then remove panel. You will see GATE valve .....have someone pull "T" handle while you are watching valve.....you will see if the problem is gate valve or cable to "t" handle. I had to replace mine. Call me if you need further info.

Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #31

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check it out when I get back to the coach.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #32

How do you pour the bleach mixture into the water tank. I can fill the tank with water when the hose is connected to city water. I can not find how to get the mixture into the water tank.

Cummins 330
Have Alpine will travel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #33

Fiil your hose with the bleach mixture and then attach it to your spigot and turn on the water. Have someone hold the hose up in the air so the bleach cannot come back at you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #34

Be sure to crack the hose connection at the fill connection so the bleach will run through a funnel at the end of the hose, then re-tighten the hose at the fill connection before connecting to the hose bib and filling. You wonder how I know this? It took two days to get the bleach smell off my hand.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Another way, which is better, is to hook up a portable water filter unit, take the filter out, pour the bleach into the bottom part of the unit, put the bottom of the filter unit back together, then turn on the water and just fill the tank that way. The plastic of the filter housing is strong enough to take the straight bleach solution, and the hundred gallons of water will dilute the solution down to the required concentration. It's at least two cups of bleach for 100 gallons of water. The ratio is cup bleach to 15 gallons of water. This is how I just did mine, and it worked perfectly. Once you are done filling and running pump to get into all the water lines-hot and cold, let that sit in the tank and the lines for at least 3-5 hours. Drain all that out, attempting to flush the hot water heater/system as well. Mix up about cup baking soda to 1 gallon of very warm water, mix that up until it's clear, pour that into the bottom of filter housing, reconnect, and put that solution into the tank, it takes out the bleach smell/taste, and put minerals back into the tank so the level indicators will work. It's also good for indigestion.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #36

Rick, I don't think you can just pour water into the fill of the motorhome, at least not in the 05. It has to have water pressure push the solution in because of our built in pressure regulator.

Ted
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #37

Ted- I did pour the bleach into the hose bib end of the hose, but had difficulty getting it to pour in even with a funnel without unscrewing the connection at the coach just a little to overcome the resistance of the built-in pressure regulator. Once the bleach is in the hose I then tighten the connection at the coach, hook up to the hose bib and proceed to fill. I must admit that Old Rv'ers method seems a lot tidier.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #38

Rick, everybody does it their own way. There is a neat little gadget that the local garden stores sold so that you could siphon whatever from a bucket into your feed hose. It was about $ 5.00. It would have to be a heck of a lot cheaper unless you happen to have an unused water filter unit laying around.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #39

For those w/canister filters on our coaches (don't know when WRV started this as standard, B4 06 for sure)- the carbon filter will mess up your addition of bleach to the hose as it adsorbs a heckuvalotta chlorine. You can spin off your filter bowls, take out the filter elements, clean the bowls, then add bleach to the bowl & spin it back on. Then attach hose & filler up. To watch your proportions closely, you can time 5 gallons in a bucket, put 1/4 or 1/2 cup of bleach in the canister, then run 3 times (or 6 times respectively) the fill time to get 15 or 30 gallons mixed w/your bleach.

After flushing the systems, replace filter elements or install new ones. I don't need this because of the RO system, but I would if I didn't RO.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #40

Mike- Where are the cannister filters other than the one under the kitchen sink?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #41

Rick- In the 06 model year and I'm pretty sure 05, they are in the basement mounted on the rear-most bulkhead. Don't know how many years the Vagabond canister filter setup was used. (Frank???) They take standard size cartridge filters, and if your filter wrench is missing, you can get one @ Home Depot or order cartridges & wrench from www.vagabondwater.com.
In the 07 and later, they are inside the utility bay door.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #42

Mike- I don't have a Vagabond RO water filtration system so I'm guessing that part of the discussion doesn't apply to me.