Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Clearance light wont turn off

OK here is a strange problem.....last night when we got back to the motorhome, before heading in, I noticed the right rear clearance light was on, the one in the main lens with brake and turn signals, none of the others were on, so I turned the headlight switch on and off, with no change, I turned off both battery master switches and it stayed on, so I opened the engine compartment door and unplugged the wiring from the back of the lens housing and it went off. Before I start tracing this back I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar problem?? Thanks in advance...Mike.
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

Do you have a trailer wiring connection? If so, was anything plugged into it at the time?
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
we are dry camping, no tow vehicle attached, and the generator is off...
Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Amy View Post
we are dry camping, no tow vehicle attached, and the generator is off...
I have seen the 12 volt "hot" lead at the trailer plug find a ground thru a tail light before, you might check that area first.
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm The master battery switchs...Are they the big ones that disconnect everything or just the little switch inside by the door of the RV?
If it's the bigger switchs and both the engine and house batteries are disconnected I will be interested in hearing what you find.
The only thing I would do just for the heck of it is to push on the brake pedal and make sure it returns.
Keep us posted on what you find.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #6

While, that is strange. I never verified it but my understanding is the Vansco switches ground on and off. That being said if the ground wire shorted to ground the light would remain on. Still does not explain staying on with both disconnect switches turned off.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

I had something similar happen using my keykess fob. Pushed a button for a few seconds, lights started flashing and then remained on. Had to push on buttons (on the fob) until I found the right combination. My keyless system is a Marksman M2a...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Update...
I used a voltage meter on the master switches and found that the chassis one in the battery compartment area was not shutting off completely, it tested at 13.2 volts in the on position, then tested at 4 volts in the off position. After cycling it on and off a few times it finally went to 0, at which time the Vansco panel finally went out also, so at least now that is solved. I am still researching the Vansco system, not having any problems with it up to this point, I am unfamiliar with it. What little paperwork I have on it does inform me that with the #2 led blinking a problem exists with the right rear tail light......luckily it is just a clearance light, but I will keep playing around with it as it worries me that something more important may be wrong.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

FYI. Technically the clearance lights (aka marker lights) are the 5 across the roof at the front and back. What you have a problem with is a side light/parking light.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, I know this is a long time overdue, but I have not needed to move the motorhome and put this fix on the back burner till needed. So we moved the motorhome from Havasu, and are now at Salton Sea State Park for a few days, then to Silverton for the summer.

What I figured out is the "Hoppy" tail light converter on our coach was a model 310-0041-559, it has 6 wires on the input side, they are 1) ground, 2) tail lights, 3) left turn, 4) brake, 5) right turn, and 6) battery. I do not know why there is a battery input, other than maybe this converter used power to operate. The output was the normal 4; 1) ground, 2) tail/marker, 3) left turn, and 4), right turn. Apparently this one failed and caused my tail light on the left side to stay on all the time.

I replaced this with the standard "Hoppy" converter which is like the one described above, but without the power input. It was a easy fix, everything is working fine, and I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, Mike.