Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

Clogged A/C Drain Tube

The drain tube on my front roof A/C must be clogged because it never drains under the front of the coach, and water always puddles on the roof. I want to run a fishing line thru the tube but I cannot find it. I looked underneath the gen slide in the driver corner of the coach but didn't see where it should drain.

Can the tube be accessed easily from the top? Is there a trick to finding it from the bottom?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

Are you sure there is a drain tube? Many don't have one.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,
Mine drains on the PS wheel well. IIRC that is where WRV had them all drain. Hope this is of some help.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

IIRC there are two drain cups, each w/a clear plastic flexible drain line. The two lines 'tee' together to run to the drain point. Mine is semi-opaque PEX tubing where it exits behind the gen cap, in front of PS stair well IIRC.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm asuming Dometic Penguin Lo Profile units here. If you remove the top cover you will find a plastic housing part centered over each drain pan. Drill a small (1/4") hole in each one. A few drops of household bleach in each pan every year will keep all the grunge out just like the drains on a home unit. It may even clear your clogged drain, however if the line was crushed during install it won't help that. :(
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #6

Some early models [my 03] has the drain for the front unit in the tank area but by 05 think most were standarized to the front cap--either the passenger or driver side window pillar [look hard]. Sometimes you can just blow back thru the line and clear it [COPD notwithstanding]. Another problem is that the PEX pipe and tee config that connects the two drain cups [EM described] gets pinched closed so no water flows. Try the manual blow-out first but probably need to remove the bottom cover [20x20 opening not the smaller filter grid] of the unit and check the PEX. Access to the drain cups from the top of the unit is much harder to do [cups are on bottom of unit enclosure -- screws or rivets holding cups may not even be reachable without removing/opening air box--terrible design].
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #7

Our ’06 has never drained properly from the front A/C. New drain cups were installed, drain tubes checked for debris, and still the condensed water drained to overflowing on the cups and then on to the roof. All drain lines have been checked clear and air from my compressor freely always passes from the outlet point all the way up to the “T” and the two drain cups. Apparently in some coaches, WRV created a low spot in the drain line between the centerline of the coach as it passes to the vertical line down the driver’s windshield pillar. With the plastic trim removed from the pillar I can pull and wiggle on the Pex line and water will begin to flow from the outlet. As soon as this pressure is released, apparently the bow in the line returns and the flow stops. So…, the question is how to get the bow, or in this case a built in trap, from this section of the drain line? While were with Scott and Bobby in Junction City a year and a half ago doing an audio/video replacement, that section of the cabinetry was opened completely and still the Pex line with the probable bow was not visible. I believe, to get at this line and remove the bow one would have to open up the ceiling material in the rear section of the left overhead cabinets. Possibly one of these days, if I ever run out of other “nice-to-do” projects, I may open this area, but in the mean time, I guess, the water will have to continue to pool on the roof and make the associated mess down the windows and side panels as soon as the coach comes down off the levelers or is driven. If anyone has any other suggestions how to resolve this problem I would welcome your input.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

On the early coaches the rear drain exits over the rear passenger side wheel and the front drains over the front passenger wheel. Seems that WRV kept changing the route the hose took with every model year. I have cleared mine by using compressed air but the main problem is that the AC unit does not drain down the hose unless the coach is absolutely level. Usually my front AC will drain OK but the rear will run over the roof. Infrequently I can get the coach to the point where both will drain but it is hard to duplicate. Perhaps the roof is not perfectly level and the 2 units are not perfectly horizontal. Just live with it.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
On my 36mdds it comes out on the driver side and can be seen with the gen slide open. I find it occasionally necessary to break the "trap" by blowing air up the tube or pull a suction.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #10

Haven't located the tube at the front yet... I'll keep looking.

I noticed a drain tube behind the utility bay (towards the other side of the coach)... what is that for?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #11

On my coach there is a drain for the refrigerator.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #12

Fresh water tank has two vent drains--one near the propane tank and one in the holding tank area you are describing....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Clogged A\C Drain Tube

Gator--I had the same problem 6 yrs ago and it was not the hose. Now the back one always worked correctly and if you were on ladder you could see how low the front was compared to the back. The front was screwed down to far or tight so the cups over flowed before draining. IIRC I used one foam seal under AC but had an extra one if needed. My drain is on driver side I hope this works for you. good luck. Jack
jack and josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #14

My front AC did not drain properly also. I found the line had a high spot if I pulled down on the tubing in the generator area it would drain. I put a clamp around it holding it down. It has drained properly ever since. If is clogged you can use a wet dry vacuum to suck the debris out.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote