Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Closet door fasteners

I have a 2000 western alpine 38' rv. The glass sliding doors in the master bedroom were cheap plastic and have broken. Any suggestion of what internet site i might find replacements?
socalcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #2

I replaced four of them in two years. I finally went to the hard ware store and bought a couple of brass barrel bolts. Drilled a couple of holes, mounted them and so far after 10 years the doors are still staying latched during travel.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalcpa View Post
I have a 2000 western alpine 38' rv. The glass sliding doors in the master bedroom were cheap plastic and have broken. Any suggestion of what internet site i might find replacements?
I had the same issue a few years ago. Went with this latch and my wife and I are pleased with the way it works. One easy "flip" and both closet doors are secured or released. See link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UAEWNC...a-383674743001
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #4

...yup--pretty unique piece of plastic....might find on closet door site but you'd be lucky--perhaps some one has...one of mine broke early on....one is now cracked...I got a 12" piece of stock from WRV years ago. Have enough for two more breaks....if I didn't have it, think I would probably look at fab-ing a wood block--plastic clip is designed to release door when you flex door in so block only needs catch edge of door in normal position.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Made my own out of SS about. 3/8 wide 22 ga. bent it up about like original but only on outside! Works great!
Damion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #6

Several years ago, after replacing my third set of latches, I bought these Burglabars;
https://www.amazon.com/Rishon-Enterp...s=burglar+bars

and love it. It is easy to use and works great. Looks similar to the one from Grulens' post but I believe this is the original device of this type. Can't go wrong with it or one like Gruelens'.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I had the same issue a few years ago. Went with this latch and my wife and I are pleased with the way it works. One easy "flip" and both closet doors are secured or released. See link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UAEWNC...a-383674743001

I found a similar device at an RV store, difference being it just flips, no pin to pull. I mounted it with the flip side on top so gravity works for you, not against you. It has been in place for years, only down side is you have to remember to set it, the WRV version was a no brainer, if the doors were completely closed they were locked.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

My latches worked fine, but they were hard for my wife to undo. I threw them away and went with a burglabar, simple to use, holds the doors tight in travel and no more POS latches sticking out to catch on things.

It's clear and you don't really even notice it
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

I put a pair on our doors..Works great Mirrored Door Latch for RV Sliding Wardrobe Doors | eBay
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

We placed velcro on each door and then some on the wall. It’s cheap and hidden works great, hasn’t scratched my arm and nothing to remember to do. It keeps the doors closed easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #11

We use these. They are thinner and work on windows better. With 4 in the pack it was handy to have them for other things besides the closet. Good to keep things from sliding around. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HVD52VA..._t1_B004UAEWNC

Tried Velcro in the channel but it didn’t hold up to going up and down our driveway.

Tags
door