Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #1

I noticed in the '04 brocure that overall coach height is 11' 9", while in the online '05 specs it is 11' 11" w/the same 6' 7" ceiling height. Is the extra 2" in storage height? thanks, Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #2

I noticed in the '04 brocure that overall coach height is 11' 9", while in the online '05 specs it is 11' 11" w/the same 6' 7" ceiling height. Is the extra 2" in storage height? thanks, Mike

Old 03-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #3

I wish, my guess would be a 2" longer antenna on the roof. My 05 storage bays seem to be the same height as my 2000 were.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #4

I got this from a good source. The height difference from '04 to '05 was due to the 11R22.5 Toyo tires. They are 2" taller than the previous 295 tires they were using.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello EngineerMike:

Ride Height, I think Wayne is partly correct because if the tires are two inches taller it is one inch on top and one on the bottom raising the axle one (1) inch. When WRV increased tire size they increased axle size, and they may have also increased ride height in the suspension system. This could be part of the increase and if you have a dome Satellite Receiver that may be taller adding a little more to the overall increase in ride height.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #6

The 2006s are using the low profile King Dome Satellite receiver which is 3" shorter than the previous years' models.

Lots of things affect the height.

Audrey
Old 03-20-2005, 09:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. Sounds like ride height is the culprit. I left an email for the factory rep but didn't hear back. Presumably he'll pin it down this week.
What I did hear, new to me as far as the sales pitch for the Peak chassis, was 12" ground clearance, so that new pitch point indicates ride height also.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #8

Heard back from Harry @ WRV today- he reports "we changed tire size from the 295/75/22.5 to the 11R/22.5 Toyo tire. The tire profile is 1.5" taller. That is the difference right there. We over estimated a little to be on the safe side."
Wayne knows his Alpine stuff. Mike.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:52 AM   #9

Can this new tire size be used on the older Alpines? I would love to have a little more clearance for the front cowling. I have already had to repair mine once. The previous owner had to have it totally replaced. The body shop said they see Alpines in all the time with damage because of the low clearance in front. They said Alpha has the same problem.
shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:06 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Kaddywampus:

Yes you can change to the larger tire size, I know someone who has done this to their 2000 Alpine. You must also have the speedometer changed to give you appropriate MPH his can be done at a Cummins Dealer. Remember an increase of a total tire height of 1.5 inches will only give you a in rise in ride height. You get of an inch on top and on the bottom for a total of 1.5 inches. I wonder if you should just change the ride height in the suspension since it is controlled by air, it would be cheaper and easier to do. Ride height should be checked and adjusted about once per year.

Dave
Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #11

I had my coach aligned about a year ago. My understanding is the front ride height partially determines the camber of the front wheels. This is probably why they want the ride height checked annually. Therefore I'm assuming if I change ride height it must be realigned. There is also a distinct possibility it will not be able to be adjusted into specifications at the new ride height. Just thoughts.

Also, do you know if the speedometer is adjustable without going to Cummins? My Ford has a sequence of steps one can go through to do it without taking it to the shop. I believe Freightlines has a similar option.
shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #12

Kaddy - Alpines do not have IFS (Independant Front Suspension) therefore I would be surprised if the height adjustment affects the camber. Depending on where the bags are, I suppose it could affect the caster though. I haven't looked at the position of the bags relative to the axle and any possible affect on the king pin angle.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Kaddywampus:

As far as I know the only way to change the speedometer is to have someone with the ability to access the engine computer with the correct software to make the changes. If there is another way I have never heard about it. As for the ride height, I do not believe a minor change in the height will effect the alignment since I have not noticed any changes in the drivability or tire ware, but I only increased mine about inch which gave me about to 1 inch increase at the front cap.

Dave
Old 03-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #14

Speedo gets data from the TCU (tranny), and data stored in memory space reserved for the purpose, & converts to MPH. Changing tire diameter requires changing memory variable to keep reported speed correct.
At least that's how it works in my coach. And you need to have programming software & hardware interface to change the memory variable. I'm told the WRV factory tech's use laptop program & link cable to access the ECU/TCU; don't know who's program or how much $$, but its on my "New Coach Walkthru Checklist" to find out.