Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #1

Today was a sad day for us, the Alpine left on it's way to Yakima for water leak repairs. The transfer driver picked it up a few hours ago. We were planning on making the ACA Pomona pre rally and the FMCA rally there in March, but it may be pushing a bit to make it. If we get it back in time, we may try and make last minute plans.

Working with Mike and Rex at WRV, the leak issue sources may have been identified and can thus be fixed once and for all. Had a lot of standing water on the roof of the bedroom and galley slides under the slide awning just sitting against the seals, thus leaking thru the seals. Also noticed that the large lights on both sides (security lights) have water vapor in them and may be another cause. The last potential cause is the clearance lights on the front of the coach.

After dealing with the dealership attempting to locate and fix the leaks and resulting damage, I am glad it is headed back to WRV to have things done correctly!

WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #2

Today was a sad day for us, the Alpine left on it's way to Yakima for water leak repairs. The transfer driver picked it up a few hours ago. We were planning on making the ACA Pomona pre rally and the FMCA rally there in March, but it may be pushing a bit to make it. If we get it back in time, we may try and make last minute plans.

Working with Mike and Rex at WRV, the leak issue sources may have been identified and can thus be fixed once and for all. Had a lot of standing water on the roof of the bedroom and galley slides under the slide awning just sitting against the seals, thus leaking thru the seals. Also noticed that the large lights on both sides (security lights) have water vapor in them and may be another cause. The last potential cause is the clearance lights on the front of the coach.

After dealing with the dealership attempting to locate and fix the leaks and resulting damage, I am glad it is headed back to WRV to have things done correctly!

Old 02-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #3

We have a fun leak that I haven't discussed w/WRV yet- water runs out of the rear-most AC vent onto the bed while driving in rain. Almost gotta be the AC seal. Doesn't leak while standing in the rain.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #4

We have an appointment at Yakima July 31st for water leaks. We decided to go up to the factory because we figured that was the best chance of figuring out these leaks. I hope we're right! The leaks are real mysteries.

We have two:

1. Bedroom slide (when out). With rain blowing in towards our left rear somehow water gets in through the underneath of the slide, and runs along the metal brace at the bottom of the slide underneath the closet, and drips off the metal bar. We've checked the seals, they look OK.

2. Wall between toilet and TV cabinet/drawers in bedroom. Not sure how the water is getting in to the wall, but we see it coming in where two screws attach the toilet wall the coach side, and it puddles out on the underlayment (blue floor) under our drawers. In the toilet we can see moisture in the grout between the tiles starting from that corner against the side wall.

These are both heavy rain condition leaks and very dependent on wind direction.

Audrey
Old 03-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #5

I also had a leak in the ceiling and it found its way into the interior thru the ceiling light (which blew out). Turned out that the 4 long bolts securing the exterior a/c to the interior ceiling studs were not tightened and were just finger tight. After tightening, no more leaking problems. Mine is an 06 and I think it was built on a 'Friday at 5'. Had other issues that could be blamed on the same type of reason.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #6

Check out this link for a company that makes a device to pressurize the inside of a coach, spray soapy water on the exterior, then look for soap bubbles. It really works!
http://www.rvleaks.com/how.htm

Check the link on their web site that says "Where to Find It" to find a dealer near you that has this equipment.

Do you think that WRV should be using this device on every new coach they build?

Dale
2001 Alpine Coach 38FDDS
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #7

The dealership used the SealTech device that Dale speaks of. Not sure that they found a lot with it as the coach has numerous "natural" leaks for air that do not translate into water leaks. Speaking with Rex at WRV, he is of the opinion that the best way to locate the leaks is to use good old fashioned know how.

The leaks I had were associated with two of my three slides as well as the two large lights (this time). The water from the lights enters the wall and foloows it down coming out at the window beside the passenger seat.

For Audrey and John, if you have water coming in at the location described in the bathroom, that will be a tough one to locate, potentially. Having dealt with both the dealership (not a great experience) and WRV in Yakima, I would say that the best bet is to take it up to Yakima! I found on the previous go round that once water gets into the wall, it couls show up almost anywhere depending on how level you are etc. In my previous case, we had water coming in at every window on the passenger side! Turns out that the roof was not sealed on either side.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Audrey and John,

Our coach needs to go to the factory for repairs as well. Who did you find as a transfer driver? That would make things soooo much easier.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pamelashere:
Audrey and John,

Our coach needs to go to the factory for repairs as well. Who did you find as a transfer driver? That would make things soooo much easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Our coach is our home (we are fulltimers). WE are driving to Yakima. We have been planning a trip to OR and WA this summer, so we just scheduled a factory visit during that time.

Audrey