Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Coach Odor revisited-update- Propane

Finally determined that the odor I have been chasing is propane. Doesn't smell like propane to me but it goes away when I turn off the valve at the tank. And it returns when the valve is reopened.

The fittings at the tank, reefer, cook-top, furnace, and water heater are all tight.

I have not been able to access the tees that connect the individual lines to the main line.

I suspect the flexible plastic line servicing the cook-top because it flexes when the room slide is deployed. Is this a common problem?

Are there removable panels to access the tee connections on a 1998 36'?
I will be searching for them when I return home where the coach is.

Thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Have never heard of the leaks in the area you are suggesting, so don't think it is anything close to a common issue with Alpines.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Agree-- not a common issue on Alpines--you are the first I know of who has complained of propane "leaks." And no, access to the slide area under the cabinets is extremely limited on most models.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Gene, I don't see a year, or even an Alpine in your profile so this might not apply to you. I have a 05 Alpine and it has a propane sensor, I believe WRV has installed them from day 1, if so you have 2 problems, the propane leak and why your propane alarm did not go off!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #5

Coach Odor

The coach is a 1998 Alpine 36.

It has a factory installed LPG detector that as far as I can tell is working properly.
I don't think the leak is big enough to get the concentration needed to trigger the alarm.

The odor is faint and doesn't smell like propane to me. But it goes away when the tank valve is closed.

The previous owner told me today that he recently replaced the tank valve.So, going on the theory that "The last thing you fixed is likely not fixed" I will check the valve first when I get back home.

The tank valves on my mid 70's GMC's would leak unless they were in a "full on" or "full off" position.
If the Alpine tank valve is the same design then it may be leaking in the open position even though I have tightened it as much as I can.

Thanks to all who have replied.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
If the leak is enough to smell, your alarm should have gone off, replace it, your lives are not worth the chance it is defective. JMHO
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
They do make a small hand held propane detector, Mac the Fire Guy had them for sale at one time.

Could it be ammonia from the Dometic Refrigerator? Just a thought.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:20 AM   #8

Propane leak update and conclusion

I bought one of the hand held LPG leak detectors today and tested it against every propane line and connection in the coach. No response! The device is just not sensitive enough to detect very small leaks.

Then I used a spray bottle filled with dish soap and water on all the connections, starting with the tank shut off valve which the PO had recently replaced. BINGO!
The first connection down stream from the tank valve- the nipple between the valve and the regulator- had a very very small leak. The $.02 soap bubbles worked better than the $25.00 hi-tech electronic detector.

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

On to other projects. Nonfunctional speedo and tach are next.

Tags
odor, propane