Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
WOODYDEL:

Please don't take exception to my comments, I'm just being obnoxious. Your coach is actually a GREAT deal. I just saw the new ones at the California RV Show and they are very nice. No one here thinks any less of a gasser over a diesel pusher. There is a market for everything, based on price, actual use, perceived value, etc. My last coach was a Winne on a P-32 chassis and came with it's own set of benefits, problems and issues. I still love that coach. I just found I use my coach so much, drive it a lot, needed more room and have a few more bucks than 10 years ago. Since I have the time, I indulge myself (at the expense of other things in life). I cannot make myself buy a Marathon Coach on a Prevost chassis, so here I am, and happily.

Many of the members in this forum are rightly concerned that several posters, of late, have been making irrelevant posts on this forum that confuse many issues. Since this is the Alpine Forum, the idea is for Alpine owners to post issues they face, for a quick resolution, instead of "reinventing the wheel" time and again. It allows us to resolve problems quickly, accurately, and at minimum cost. It also gives us a sense of comraderie and social contact.

Alpine Coaches were built fairly similarly for the 11 years they were in production. Since it was a smaller manufacturer, there are only about 1400 in existence. WRV also built the chassis (and a nice chassis, indeed). Many of our issues span several and occasionally all years. As a coach goes to new owners, this forum helps buyers find information, history and confidence. Since our manufacturer has gone out of business, it is paramount that we assemble and retain a working body of knowledge about our coaches, for posterity. Irrelevant posts muddy the information pool. We cannot remove posts that have nothing to do with our coaches, give false or misleading information or interrupt the productive flow of information. Based on bad information, people can make poor purchase decisions, miss out on a good deal or be unnecessarily worried about a non-existent problem with their coach.

That being said, numerous SOB's (Some Other Brand) have posted relevant information here, that has helped us. BUT, there are a couple posters that have a million posts in their history because they feel the need to express their opinion and incorrect advice at every drop of the hat. They truly are muddying up the waters. It's important that posters understand that our coaches have certain engines, certain appliances, certain parts, and that any other information or opinions are just ruining our "archive" and body of knowledge.

We do highly value quality input and welcome anyone who is interested in our coaches. We all get a kick out of helping newbies with common problems and feel a sense of community when we can help a fellow member solve a problem.

Lastly, pertaining to this post....

Diesel engines must have their temperature well controlled and several technologies have been used over time. The technologies used for gassers don't necessarily work for diesels, otherwise they'd be in use. As engine manufacturers evolve the engine, things change and newer technologies supplant the old and the old parts become less marketable and therefore less available. Wax valve systems are easily replaced with other systems. It's just nice to be able to make a simple swap-out repair, if the part is available and an engine shop is not needed. Hence our forum...

BTW, welcome to the Alpine Forum!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #16

Sure, I won't be back.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even in a gas engine chassis the fan usually has a viscous clutch to control fan speed and an auxiliary electric fan is under the control of the ECM, which switches it on/off as needed to save horsepower. Probably even on a Ford. I know Workhorse uses both forms of control on their cooling systems.

I don't think agas chassis is any more bullet proof than a diesel, but there are probably more small town shops that can work on them and most parts are more readily available. However, there are lots of truck shops around the country too, even in Alaska, because diesel trucks are the primary means that goods get moved around the USA. Motohome drivers just aren't real familiar with them, or with seeking them out. Or going there for parts either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Woodydel:

Poop! I didn't mean to offend you. I was trying to be diplomatic and obviously failed.

Gary:

You are so right about diesel coach owners and truck services. Seems every time I have a chassis or engine issue, it's "old hat" for truck mechanics. They seem to know the fix, the part or the solution to just about everything on my coach. Being a "non-trucking" motorhomer, I sometimes narrow my vision and seek solutions only from RV businesses. They rarely have the part I need or the expertise required. This forum often points us to outside businesses that are surprisingly familiar with motorhomes.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #19

Wow, I love my Alpine but as with any device with as many features and luxuries there are problems, that being said the replacement parts problem creates much concern and frustration. Im so thankful for irv2.com to get many of us thru our *&$# problems.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #20

I guess this is the first skeleton in the closet I have found regarding Alpines...that could be a "big" problem in some circumstances. (Big for me...would be one I couldn't fix myself, since I was a gasoline mechanic during my early years, and still have a well equipped shop) Most times ...big issues for RV shops are not that big a deal for me, if I have time to study up on it...this may be different.

Since the Alpines and Diesels MH's in general are uncharted territory for me....what is the frequency of these wax valves failing?

What can be done to back it up...if you "were" going to Alaska for instance?

Someone said they could be replaced with another control system...is any more information available about how expensive/complicated that would be?

Thanks..Stan
Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Cratch View Post
Wow, I love my Alpine but as with any device with as many features and luxuries there are problems, that being said the replacement parts problem creates much concern and frustration. Im so thankful for irv2.com to get many of us thru our *&$# problems.

I'm new here and have already had invaluable help from the technical information site, forum members in general and several thru PM's and e-mails. I've been spending quite a bit a lot of effort getting to know our Alpine...particularly the mechanics of it, and it I have learned a lot in a short period of time thanks to this forum..

Even though our new acquisition was in good shape.. there are always issues to be dealt with if you dig deep enough...and that's what I have been doing....naturally some of it is Alpine only issues.

I'm feel the members that have gone out of their way to help me out ...are every bit as much help as could be had from the Mfg. on an out of warranty coach. Since the mfg. is gone...were still AOK it seems to me...

Many thanks to all those that have offered their time and knowledge...It is uncommonly refreshing, and sooo appreciated..!

Best regards..Stan M.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
CC:

It seems the wax valve issue is extremely rare. I've only heard a few people complain about it and it seems some were found to actually be another issue, after all.

In that vein - if there is a problem with an Alpine, you'll certainly read about it here. That is the idea of our forum. However, that does not translate into an Alpine having lots of major problems, nor more problems than SOB's. In fact, after talking with numerous friends, all SOB's (with SOB's ), I feel my coach is better built and more reliable than theirs'.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
CC:

It seems the wax valve issue is extremely rare. I've only heard a few people complain about it and it seems some were found to actually be another issue, after all.

In that vein - if there is a problem with an Alpine, you'll certainly read about it here. That is the idea of our forum. However, that does not translate into an Alpine having lots of major problems, nor more problems than SOB's. In fact, after talking with numerous friends, all SOB's (with SOB's ), I feel my coach is better built and more reliable than theirs'.
Thanks takepride..

It's always good to have some positive comments from long time Alpine owners...they have the "feel" of the coach.

I'm glad to hear the wax valve issue is rare..is there a altenate that is easier to get should it fail?

I can't compare the Alpine to other pushers...but I have owned and completely refurbished some very nice gas coaches, and I am very pleased with all I have seen on this coach so far. I am going over it with a fine toothed comb in an effort to prevent any issues even before they happen. It's a 9 year old rig...since I do most of my own work it works two fold. Preventative maintenance...and gaining familarity with the coach so I know how to deal with issues if they do occur on the road.

Seems like everything I do steps up my opinion of the Alpine. (which was very good to begin with..) They didn't miss much when it comes to ease of access on the Alpine...especially compared to most gasoline coaches. Simple really...and that's the best compliment I can pay any rig. Simple is good!

Stan..
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Stan:

I'm on the same journey as you, just a few years ahead (and still of the same opinion)....