Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #29

Thank you all for your assistance. I removed the battery isolator on yesterday and awaiting the new one to arrived today for install. Right now I'm in the phase of process of elimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Good point about the high current.

I should have said, remove and combine the 3 wires on one post or use jumpers with ring terminals.
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillwill View Post
Thank you all for your assistance. I removed the battery isolator on yesterday and awaiting the new one to arrived today for install. Right now I'm in the phase of process of elimination.
If you have a DuVac system and not working correctly, keep an eye out for an overcharging condition. The overcharging can cause the isolator to fail, along with other problems.

Isolators can be checked with an ohm meter. Current only flows from the center post to the side posts, not the other way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Need your help. My alternator is not charging my engine batteries. 2 brand new L/N alternator installed and both or not charging. At Love's mechanic shop and after going through all the possible issues we came to the conclusion that the battery isolator is bad. Someone please help. Batteries are good.
Were the LN Alternators the correct model number for your coach?

What is the model number of the LN Alternators that you have attempted to use on your engine?

What was the model number of the failed alternator that was removed?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #32

Reasonably too late, since you have already removed it, but troubleshooting a battery isolator is pretty simple.

Said another way, I hate to see you diagnose by buying parts.

Troubleshooting an alternator/isolator (assuming diode-based battery isolator):

Make sure all connections at alternator and isolator are clean and tight.

With the engine at high idle (1000 RPM or so), check for voltage between ground and center lug of the battery isolator.

If 14.5+, check from ground to the two outer lugs on the isolator. Should be about .7 less than at the center lug. So 13.8- 14.2.

If you do not have the correct reading at the center lug, check at the alternator B+ terminal. If still not correct, either a wiring issue (sense wire and/or IGN hot wire if you have one) or alternator.

If correct reading to isolator center lug, but not on one or both outer lugs, the isolator is bad.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:02 AM   #33

Both alternators that was on the coach are L/N 2824LC. I had the first one replaced in April which worked out fine. Took a few trips after that and everything was working ok. Voltage was good. Last trip was last week and that's when I noticed the voltage issue. I stopped and checked the wires and everything was tight and looking good. Got back on the road the voltage didn't change but after a few miles the voltage went back to normal. When I stopped for the night and restarted the coach, the voltage dropped again. Replaced the alternator with a new L/N 2824LC (under warranty) and it was reading the same. (What's the chance of having 2 bad alternators. It's possible). The LOVES Tech checked the wiring and recharged my batteries and found no issues. That's why I've narrowed it down to the battery isolator. I have a 2001 Alpine Coach 350 cummins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Reasonably too late, since you have already removed it, but troubleshooting a battery isolator is pretty simple.

Said another way, I hate to see you diagnose by buying parts.

Troubleshooting an alternator/isolator (assuming diode-based battery isolator):

Make sure all connections at alternator and isolator are clean and tight.

With the engine at high idle (1000 RPM or so), check for voltage between ground and center lug of the battery isolator.

If 14.5+, check from ground to the two outer lugs on the isolator. Should be about .7 less than at the center lug. So 13.8- 14.2.

If you do not have the correct reading at the center lug, check at the alternator B+ terminal. If still not correct, either a wiring issue (sense wire and/or IGN hot wire if you have one) or alternator.

If correct reading to isolator center lug, but not on one or both outer lugs, the isolator is bad.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 07-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #34

They are using DuVac Alternators. If the new isolator don't fix it, have them recheck the wiring. Also look for a DuVac fuse somewhere.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #35

Chasiss batteries not charging

Ok everyone, the new isolator didn't fix it. So now I'm still banging my head on what could be the issue. I also have a Big Boy Battery Isolator Relay. I guess I will look at it next. Checked all the wire and fuses and everything seems okay. Thanks for the assist so far.

Quote:
They are using DuVac Alternators. If the new isolator don't fix it, have them recheck the wiring. Also look for a DuVac fuse somewhere.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #36

Get it to someone who knows the system.

Did you jump the isolator wires to see if it charges.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:39 AM   #37

No I didn't jump the isolator wires because I don't understand the procedure.

Quote:
Get it to someone who knows the system.

Did you jump the isolator wires to see if it charges.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #38

Take the wire off the post marked chassis or engine battery and put it on the post marked ALT. or alternator, with the wire already on there.

You will have 1 empty post and the center post will have 2 wires.

Just to be clear, this is a battery isolator. Is this what you have ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469795516528.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	134421  
Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #39

Quote:
GM RV Nation. Need your help. My alternator is not charging my engine batteries. 2 brand new L/N alternator installed and both or not charging. At Love's mechanic shop and after going through all the possible issues we came to the conclusion that the battery isolator is bad. Someone please help. Batteries are good.
Perhaps starting a new thread would have been a good plan instead of jumping on one that's a couple of years old. Just a suggestion for the future.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #40

Again, strongly suggest that you troubleshoot it vs throwing parts at it.

Start at the alternator B+ to ground. If 14+ VDC there with engine at 1000 RPM, keep going until you do not see charging voltage.

Next place to check is the battery isolator. Center lug (from B+) should read the same as alternator B+. The outer lugs about .7 VDC less.

If OK there, move on to the batteries/fuses to batteries if you have them.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #41

Yes that is what I have. There is no post on there marked chassis or engine. It's battery 1, alternator, battery 2.

Quote:
Take the wire off the post marked chassis or engine battery and put it on the post marked ALT. or alternator, with the wire already on there.

You will have 1 empty post and the center post will have 2 wires.

Just to be clear, this is a battery isolator. Is this what you have ?
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Yes that is what I have. There is no post on there marked chassis or engine. It's battery 1, alternator, battery 2.
Ok, plug it in and get the house batteries charging. Check the volts, batt. 2 should be the house and will be higher then chassis batt.

Or, unhook the start battery and see which one goes to 0 volts.