Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Marty, I think I'll try the ABS route for the sewer line. I forgot about the slide topper. Our water hose to the ice maker has a shut off in the black and gray tank bay, and I'll disconnect the hose at the refer. Do I still need a light bulb in the compartment?

Thanks

TD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
The light bulb probably wouldn't hurt, but my tank bay has a furnace vent that terminates right between the tanks and keeps them cozy. I do have a "weather station" monitor in there, with an alarm, to keep an electronic eye on things.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Has anyone tried the Pirit heated water hose? enasco.com has it (25') for $75 + $13 s/h. Is it worth it? Does it work as advertised? We will be parked in Ft Worth TX at least until mid Jan. I know this area does not usually see extreme cold temps, but I don't want my wife to be caught with freezing water lines when she is there alone, which could be frequent due to my job. I tried the foam water line insulation last year when we were in Henderson, NC. We did have one time when the water line froze, although I think it was the water line feeding the hose, not the actual hose. But of coarse, I was out of town & my wife had to deal with this alone. This is not a situation I want to put her in again if I can help it.

For those of you that have wrapped your water hose with heat tape. Did you use the standard white water hose?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
RE: Light bulb in refrigerator bay
When it gets really cold (below 0), the ammonia/water solution in the refer coils can freeze. Running the unit in LOW AMBIENT setting helps, but I have learned thru bad experience that it doesn't absolutely prevent freezing. I use a 75 or 100W bulb on a worklight fixture with the squeeze grip base and make sure it isn't touching anything that could be flammable.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
I use standard heat tape on standard white drinking water hose. I don't wrap the tape around the hose, simply tape it on parallel to the hose. I've used both foam and rubber insullation and prefer the rubber simply because it is more flexible.

I bought a Pirit hose in hopes it would be a more-convenient replacement for the standard heat tape and insulation job. I have ready several negative reviews from RV users that seem to lead back to bad smell/taste, possibly related to continuous heating. The thermostat on this hose is attached and calibrated such that the element may be ON any time the air temp is below 45F. In cold weather climates, that means it will be on continuously from October to May, which might result in the bad smell/taste reported by some users. I haven't used my hose and I'm strongly considering returning it. My current setup works well and is quick/cheap to fix if needed.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Carroll View Post
We have been spending winters in our Alpine 38' coach in Park City, UT for the past 7 years. Our coaches seem to be pretty well setup for cold weather use, but we do take a few extra steps:
Marty, sounds like you have REAL hands on experience for cold weather operations- Kudos!

I was curious as to whether the snow loads have had a lot of negative effect on your slide out toppers (stretching, damage, etc.)? I have been real paranoid about keeping the slides out if it is snowing, but certainly going in and out, timing them coming in, and having frozen slides (either in or out) is certainly a delemna when you are mobile and only staying in one place for a few colds days and pressing on.

Would you recommend just keeping slides in at all cost in most of those mobile situations?
LaserMark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
The slide toppers have been a concern. I replaced the original material with a heavier vinyl a couple of years ago because the originals had started to de-laminate. They do stretch when loaded with snow/ice/water, so I try to keep them clear. I also put something under them (between the topper and the top of the slideout) in order to create more runoff--this season I'll be using inflatable air mattresses. Depending on the weather when I'm ready to hit the road, I sometimes have to remove some amount of ice before closing my slides. The biggest issue is reaching any that may be toward the center of the 14' room slide. If you can close the slides during snowfall you may be able to avoid that problem.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
We purchased the No Freeze Water Hose - Eliminate Water Line Freeze over the internet. It wasn't inexpensive, but it appears to be a very well built hose. We plan to use it many years now that we will be in the mid-west and camping in colder weather.

I insulated the floor of the sanitation bay and the through holes where the electric and sewer hose enter/exit the coach. My tattle tale thermometer is reading 55 degrees at 25 so hopefully we will not have any frozen valves. We are getting some heat from the excess coiled heated hose in the bay too.

Here's wishing us luck when it goes -15 below.

Thanks all, We'll keep a light on the refer bay for you!!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a bundle of bubble wrap that I rolled up and duct taped, to place under the 14' slideout canvas. I attached a sting long enough to reach the ground on both sides of the slideout & i use this to pull it to the center when installing it & i tie it the bottom of the slideout so it can't blow out under strong winds. It raises the canvas just enough so the water will drain off and it is very light & easy to store when on the go.

I bought the Pirit hose & will install it next week. I hadn't read anything about the water tasting bad prior to purchasing. Time will tell.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote