Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jedova
Concerns about welding on generator exhaust

I've tried searching on welding and I'm either not using the correct words or there aren't any past threads. The generator exhaust pipe on my 2007 36FDTS has a slight kink, does not reach the edge of the coach, and is too close to my driver's tire so I'm going to have a new exhaust pipe made. I have three questions: 1) Is disconnecting the coach and chassis negative battery cables sufficient to protect my electronics (I'm thinking Vansco(s) here) if we are welding on the generator exhaust pipe? 2) does anyone know whether the generator exhaust pipe should protrude to the outside of the edge of the coach or should it end before the outside edge of the coach (so it's not sticking out)? 3) should the end of the exhaust pipe have a downturn to it? Currently mine does not. I'm scheduled for this repair on Wednesday (Sept. 5th), so I would appreciate your feedback before then.
jedova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #2

I'm not sure what's safe practice for the welding.
My pipe sticks out past the side of the coach which I believe is best, you don't want the exhaust gasses under the coach. I think the turn down is up to you, but mine is straight.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #3

Should be no problem welding on the exhaust. Make sure the coach has no shore connections (power , water , sewer, cable, etc). Place the ground cable on the exhaust pipe as close to the welding area as possible. Make sure the pipe is cleaned to get a proper connection. Then weld away . No need to disconnect the batteries.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I don't understand why someone would weld on your generator pipe while it is bolted to the coach. It is far easier to remove the old pipe, fabricate and weld a new pipe while standing at a work bench rather than laying on your back under the coach.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #5

What Carter said--unless Onan changed it in later years [doubt it], two bolts hold the exhaust pipe to the flange on the muffler?????? Now, if the flange on the muffler is bent or broken, that is a different issue. Even then the muffle can be removed for the work--good time to do a thorough spark arrestor inspection...Think you need a second opinion before the 5th.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jedova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
What Carter said--unless Onan changed it in later years [doubt it], two bolts hold the exhaust pipe to the flange on the muffler?????? Now, if the flange on the muffler is bent or broken, that is a different issue. Even then the muffle can be removed for the work--good time to do a thorough spark arrestor inspection...Think you need a second opinion before the 5th.
Thanks to you and Carter for the suggestion; I think we will take that approach. My exhaust repairman is young guy with no experience on motorhomes but has the equipment for bending and building exhaust systems.
jedova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #7

Very good point!!!
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Carter is spot on.
I have had a rattle in the front of my coach that I traced down to the genny exhaust hitting a brace. There was excessive travel on the exhaust due to a woreout support rubber. I have had it off a couple of times and removal required minimal effort. The tip does have a turndown and sticks out beyond the plane of the coach wall about 3”.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I would also remove the exhaust.
I personally would not weld on the coach unless there is no option.
There seems to be the idea that welding, and a Vansco failure shortly after have something in common.
Whether true or not, why risk it.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Agreed.
We applied that rule to all welding on equipment in my past life. If we were not able to remove the parts in need of repair we removed control, ignition and annunciation equipment from the machine before welding and then moved the ground lead for the welder as close to the work as possible. These practices seemed to cut down on ghosts and goblins after the welding was performed.
Hope all have a good holiday!
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I'm pretty sure there is a placard on Vansco equipped coaches that warns not to weld on this frame. Either that or it's in the owner's manual. It's always a good idea to check the signature tag on posts to ascertain if the responder has an Alpine. A well meaning response from a non Alpiner could cost thousands in fried electronics.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a placard on Vansco equipped coaches that warns not to weld on this frame. Either that or it's in the owner's manual. It's always a good idea to check the signature tag on posts to ascertain if the responder has an Alpine. A well meaning response from a non Alpiner could cost thousands in fried electronics.

I wonder if that’s where the perception not to weld on the coach comes from?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #13

I've been welding on construction machines for years and they all now, since computer engine controls, caution that the computer be disconnected while welding.

With multiple computer operated items, now days, removing the battery cables may be the best protection.

In most cases the welding is isolated to the parts needing it, but there are times when the welding ground could fall off and find another ground point. I've seen, and had it happen to me, where we would lay down the rod holder on a grounded surface causing a arc.

We needed to be careful not to let the ground conduct thru bearings or bushings. An arc, jumping thru the grease gap of a bearing, can cause it to fail soon after.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Here is the placard but it's for the Transmission, not the Vansco. It's in the battery bay. So you have the tranny module, the Wabco module, ECM for the Cummins, the Vansco and maybe the HWH etc. Forewarned is forearmed. Danger Will Robinson and all that jazz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weld.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	217333  
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, generator