Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

Considering an Alpine 36' DP, but....

My wife and I have been researching our first RV purchase and though we were set with either a Tiffin or Newmar. I came close to pulling the trigger on an 07 Newmar Kountry Star, but someone beat us to the punch.

So I see these Western Alpine RVs that are the right size, loaded with features (except I can't find one with a king bed) but the are all 25% or more expensive than a comparable Newmar. And now I read that the original manufacturer went TU.

So I'm asking...is it worth it? Did they make any 35,36 or 38 footers with king beds?

Love to hear from some of you proud Alpine owners. Lay it on me!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I'm pretty sure you'd have to go with a 40' Alpine Coach that has a front door. Even 40' models are NOT a guarantee but only those models can have a king bed. All others came with queen beds. Getting a king bed was one of our driving factors for getting a 40' FDTS (Front Door Triple Slide).

You can go here to the ACA website and look at brochures for pretty much every year produced.

Alpine Coach - Technical Information

Good luck with your search!

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #3

You will find many biased answers on here! Including mine. Most of us are very loyal. It is a great coach to drive. Hard to beat at any price.

I believe you will only find the king size bed on the 40' models. That is a drawback to many.

A mid-door model was not available with most other brands of coaches. It was a selling point in our opinion. And that is what we bought.

The fact that the factory is gone is not an issue for us. We have this website, and a whole bunch of fellow owners to fall back on. You will find except for the Peak chassis, most other components were made by other manufacturers, and it is just a matter of finding out the manufacturer and a part number, where this website comes in handy. We have the ACA owner's club members, and our regional Alpine Coach owner's club as well for help.

Enjoy your search!!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses gents. I actually find the passionate advocacy of the brand to be both refreshing and reassuring.

I'm looking at this 35' FD model: 2006 Western RV Alpine Coach Limited 34FD, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale By Owner in Portland, Oregon | RVT.com - 157072

I can't tell from the pictures, but I wonder if the bed fits in a slide or runs perpendicular to it? If so, I wonder if it can be retrofitted with a King bed?

I'm really trying to keep to 34-36' as I need to keep enough driveway space for my Wrangler toad which is also my daily driver. We live in a (nice) suburb of Los Angeles, but I really don't want to park the toad in the street if I don't have to.

Also, 40' rigs seem harder to find.

I'm trying to get more details about this rig from the owner. It's about $30K more than I was looking to spend, but...hey...you can't take it with you right?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:08 AM   #5

While I don't own an Alpine, I do own an older coach from a company that only built coaches for a few years before going out of business, and I can tell you that I've had zero issues where the manufacturer actually mattered.

Admittedly, from what I've read, Alpines have a few more Alpine-specific pieces than my more generic coach, but given the fantastic support system that exists I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an Alpine (and we actually considered a couple) if I were back in the market.

Steve
Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #6

Nope---only the 40ft rigs had bed slides that would accommodate a king size bed. 34, 36, and 38 beds all run parallel to the frame--the slide you see on these models is a wardrobe slide on the driver's side.
I am sure you can find loyal owners for other brands--it kind of comes with the territory once you make such a significant purchase. However, our Alpine group has an extraordinary commitment to each other and to the continued maintenance of our coaches. Any brand of coach could have some lemons out there--either factory or owner induced. So do your home work, ask for maintenance records, then enjoy the experience.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Looks good

Hello, I own a 2008 34FDDS and really like it. I bought it used and like anything used you will need to do some repairs. I have not needed the company for any repairs I have done. This site and the Alpine Association site will provide most any info needed.
As for the bedroom and a King bed, I don't think you will be able to put one in without a major undertaking. The queen bed runs perpendicular to the slide. When the slide is in it is right up against the bed. There is a bedside table that could be removed to let the bed move away from the slide but it would make it hard to get around to make up the bed. The other problem would be getting the bed in the coach! Not a lot of room to maneuver through the front door.
That aside the Alpine drives and handles great and is well equipped. JMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
Thanks for your responses gents. I actually find the passionate advocacy of the brand to be both refreshing and reassuring.

I'm looking at this 35' FD model: 2006 Western RV Alpine Coach Limited 34FD, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale By Owner in Portland, Oregon | RVT.com - 157072

I can't tell from the pictures, but I wonder if the bed fits in a slide or runs perpendicular to it? If so, I wonder if it can be retrofitted with a King bed?

I'm really trying to keep to 34-36' as I need to keep enough driveway space for my Wrangler toad which is also my daily driver. We live in a (nice) suburb of Los Angeles, but I really don't want to park the toad in the street if I don't have to.

Also, 40' rigs seem harder to find.

I'm trying to get more details about this rig from the owner. It's about $30K more than I was looking to spend, but...hey...you can't take it with you right?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Considering an Alpine 36' DP, but....

From the ad I would say the coach has been well maintained and appears to be in good shape, do. Some negotiating on the price. The copper radiator means it was replaced, replacing it is a good thing. Trying to fit a king bed into a 34-36 coach is problematic, all bed, no coach. If you can't live without it go to a larger coach.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote