Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #1

Are you happy with your Convection Microwave oven?

WRV had switched from the Sharp Carousel to the Dometic convection microwave when we ordered our coach. We weren't interested in the upgrade to the GE Advantium. I was worried about the excess current draw plus expensive halogen lights, etc. Also, I had read some poor reviews.

But I'm not that crazy about the Dometic. It's a fine microwave. But most of the convection baking or broiling I have done has been kind of marginal - nothing near a conventional oven. It takes longer to bake stuff than recipes indicate it should. Broiling - things don't really get browned. Baking neither - not a whole lotta browning.

It also draws about 16A as a microwave which is at least 3A more than I expected.

I'd heard great things about the Sharp Carousel and kind of that one had been the standard option.

Anyone else have the Dometic? Any luck with it?

Are you having good luck with your convection baking/broiling?

I'm a very experienced cook, but that convection oven still has me flummoxed even after a year.

Audrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #2

Are you happy with your Convection Microwave oven?

WRV had switched from the Sharp Carousel to the Dometic convection microwave when we ordered our coach. We weren't interested in the upgrade to the GE Advantium. I was worried about the excess current draw plus expensive halogen lights, etc. Also, I had read some poor reviews.

But I'm not that crazy about the Dometic. It's a fine microwave. But most of the convection baking or broiling I have done has been kind of marginal - nothing near a conventional oven. It takes longer to bake stuff than recipes indicate it should. Broiling - things don't really get browned. Baking neither - not a whole lotta browning.

It also draws about 16A as a microwave which is at least 3A more than I expected.

I'd heard great things about the Sharp Carousel and kind of that one had been the standard option.

Anyone else have the Dometic? Any luck with it?

Are you having good luck with your convection baking/broiling?

I'm a very experienced cook, but that convection oven still has me flummoxed even after a year.

Audrey

Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #3

I have the Sharp Carousel Convec on my "LOWLY"'
not a BMW, GulfStream ... works great so far ..
but then it's only a GulfStream ..
Old 05-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #4

We had a Sharp Carousel in our Alpenlite and my wife LOVED it. In our current coach they put the GE Advantium convection microwave and we are about ready to have it removed and install a Sharp Carousel (available at Lowe's).

The Advantium does not broil. Also, the turntable HAS to be in the oven (when it's in convection mode) and you cannot disable it as you could in the Sharp. This means you can't put a 9 X 13 pan in... it won't turn. We are investigating putting in a rack that spans the turntable so the 9 X 13 can be on the rack above the turning turntable. Don't know if that's an option.

I understand your disappointment... the Dometics we saw installed in other Alpine coaches were not impressive. In fact, they didn't even HAVE a turntable... which I thought was a disadvantage. But, one can always buy a turntable... beats one you HAVE to use!
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually, ovens that have a turntable lack the microwave stirring blades, so it will not cook evenly without the turntable. As a convevtion oven, it is no problem. The GE Profile we have in our trailer is a microvave/convection and broiler. And no turntable.

Guess they found another way to make things "better". You might check the RV salvage yards to see if they have an older style GE Profile like you had.

Ken
Old 06-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #6

Well I have learned a couple of very useful things about the Dometic Oven by watching an oven thermometer in it.

1. In bake pre-heat, it signals that the oven is ready, but the internal temp is only 200-250 degrees!! How crazy is that!?! It takes another 5 to 10 minutes to get close to the actual set temp.

2. Once the oven gets to full temperature it is EXACTLY 25 degrees off from the set temperature. Now this is a bit odd, but it occurs to me that given that it is a "convection" oven, Dometic might have tried to make it more "user friendly" by setting the temp low - 25 degrees what people are usually advised to adjust for convection cooking. But I believe this oven needs the REAL temp.

So, those two factoids go a long way explaining some of my experiences so far (i.e. taking too long and marginal browning). I'll have to bake a couple more things (brownies, yum!) to see if making allowances for the above issues solve my problems.

Audrey

P.S. Sounds like the Advantium is a power hog. For that reason alone I'm glad I didn't get it.

Also, I took delivery of a Baby Weber Q Grill and stand last week. That's going to take care of a lot of my cooking needs.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #7

By the way - the no turntable thing in the Dometic. It works great as a microwave oven, so I don't see the missing turntable as an issue.

For baking - I haven't noticed uneven browning or anything.

So I conclude that the Dometic Convention/Microwave really doesn't need a turntable, and I'm happy not to have to mess with one.

Audrey
Old 06-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Patty says her biggest problem is with biscuts. She uses one of those stone plates. The inner biscuts remain a little doughy. It does do a good job on an apple pie . Come to think of it, I can do a good job on an apple pie too! Near the end of the baking time she covers the pies edges with tin foil to keep them from browning too much. She uses the turntable too.

Most of our other cooking is outside on our Baby Q. You will like it. I was burning everything at first because the fire looked so punny(sp?). It does get plenty hot on low. We have 2 small 2lbs propane tanks we use. Some day I will tap into the coaches unlimited propane supply.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Audrey,
I make no claim that this info has anything to do with your Dometic convection/microwave, but I merely pass it on. I was reading the instructions for our Creda convection oven (which my wife loved)for the other thread and this is what it says.

"Since a convection oven heats up more quickly, and generally cooks food at a lower temperature than a conventional oven, pre-heating the oven is often unnecessary. However, foods such as bread, cookies or dellicate dishes, do need to be placed in a pre-heated oven." Then it goes on to say that since a convection oven cooks by circulating hot air blown into the oven, rather than heating the oven itself, one should be careful not to impede circulation by using too large of a pan etc etc.

Is is thus possible that a thermometer will not register the "hot air blowing" temperature the same as it would in a conventional oven? I don't know-- I am probably grasping at straws here. But this is a quiet Friday night for me anyway.

Norm
Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most of our other cooking is outside on our Baby Q. You will like it. I was burning everything at first because the fire looked so punny(sp?). It does get plenty hot on low. We have 2 small 2lbs propane tanks we use. Some day I will tap into the coaches unlimited propane supply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes - We burned stuff the first time out because that grill gets so darn hot! We have since learned to cook most things on low or near low! According to the experienced folks on trailer life forum - most of them cook on low. LOL!

We'll get a 5 lb tank next time we're at Campingworld. I don't want to tap into the RV propane supply because I don't want a "tether" - i.e. a line tying me to the motorhome. That's one thing I found really annoying about using our electric grill outdoors (plus having to clean the thing).

Audrey
Old 06-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oregon Coyote:
Is is thus possible that a thermometer will not register the "hot air blowing" temperature the same as it would in a conventional oven? I don't know-- I am probably grasping at straws here. But this is a quiet Friday night for me anyway.

Norm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a good question, but it seems to me that temperature is temperature! Anyway - since baking was taking longer than it should, I suspect making the adjustments as indicated by the thermometer may solve my problems!

BTW - I haven't been brave enough to try the combination roasting yet - where it uses microwaves and convection heat at the same time (or alternately?). I guess I should try some of those recipes before giving up on the thing.

Audrey

P.S. Darn it! I was an experienced and confident cook before we moved into this RV, and I feel like I'm having to learn that critical life skill all over again!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
PS Don't fret Audrey. I married a "experienced and confident cook" and kept her around for 48 years then ten days later she lost her battle with the big C. Now I just muddle around in the kitchen as best I can. When my Apex arrives-- the kitchen will be newer but I will still be muddling and trying to figure out the Advantium. I hear you have to have a GE degree to use it properly. I will sure let you know-- bad or good. As long as it can re-heat my coffee I will be satisfied.

Norm
Old 06-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #13

Audrey.

We have a 2005 Avalanch 400 with a Amana Mirco/
convection oven. Our experience has just been the opposite. It took some getting use to, since
we never had one. But know all our cooking, and
baking is through the convection oven. We have
not heard from other types of models.
The Amana works well for us.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a GE Profile Convection MW in our 5er and we love it. You should make the operating manual your best friend until you get the hang of cooking.

I just baked 2 doz sugar cookies and 2 doz chocolate chip cookies in ours. Perfectly chewy, just the way I like them.

We use it to make garlic toaqst, baked or broiled chicken (yes, it broils to). Used it for cobbler and pizza. It is just an oven as much and even better than the little gas one under the range.

We use the gas oven for storing larger cooking items. I would not be without our convection MW.

Ken